NCAA Football 2008-09 Season

Out of curiousity, for those of you's who posted your own rankings, how many of those teams did you actually see play this weekend? I'm not blasting your polls, or your right to post your opinions, Just wondering how you came to your rankings.
I'm not posting any rankings, but I did watch both the OU/TCU game and the Alabama/Georgia game. They are definitely my #1 and #2, in no particular order. Both OU and Alabama were VERY impressive in the first half, but let up some in the 2nd half. I'd love to see those two in the BCS championship, but with the gamut of the SEC and the Big-12 to run, neither one might make it through.

And Nick Saban is an a**hole, but he sure is a good college football coach.

1. Oklahoma (43) 4-0 1,599
2. Alabama (21) 5-0 1,565
3. LSU 4-0 1,466
4. Missouri (1) 4-0 1,453
5. Texas 4-0 1,362
6. Penn State 5-0 1,252
7. Texas Tech 4-0 1,105
8. Brigham Young 4-0 1,098
9. USC 2-1 1,087
10. South Florida 5-0 1,035
11. Georgia 4-1 1,018
12. Florida 3-1 914
13. Auburn 4-1 860
14. Ohio State 4-1 829

Give me a break. eff USC!

If UNC had held off the Hokies, I think 'Gameday' could have been there if both teams were unbeaten.

BTW, has 'Gameday' EVER been to UNC for football- they have made multiple trips there for basketball.

Gameday did come to Chapel Hill back in November of 97. Carolina was ranked #4 and Florida State was ranked #2. Unfortunately FSU rolled that night and Carolina, in spite of going 10-1, was sent to the Gator Bowl.

SabresRule, that year Carolina riped VT 42-3 in the gator bowl. They had an excellent team. The Bowl Alliance (precursor to BCS) was around back then and they deserved a bid.

Carolina once went 10-1 in football?? WOW.

Had there been a BCS, would they have made one of the four games?
Actually they finished 11-1 that season after they crushed VT 42-3 in the Gator Bowl. My problem is that they deserved to play in a bigger game than that based on their record, so no, I doubt that they would have been included in the BCS. The BCS is complete nonsense that is designed to favor teams like Ohio St and Notre Dame even if they have down years.

Am I the only one who thinks Wisconsin got SCREWED on that bad call on the 2-point conversion?

As far as I'm concerned, Michigan got bailed out by the refs. That should have been a tie game; instead, Big Blue (and the refs) hose the Badgers.

I'm a Wisconsin fan and it was absolutely the right call. The tight end was covered by Travis Beckum, making him an ineligible receiver. As bad as it hurts, I have to admit it. That game should never have come down to having to make that 2 pt conversion. An amazing fold by the Badgers in the second half and they didn't play that well in the first half, it was Michigan mistakes that made it 19-0. That comeback may turn Michigan's season around, it has to give them some confidence they didn't have in their offense. It may turn Wisconsin's season around, too. A win in the Big House would make it a lot easier to face tOSU :) next week.

anders,

did anyone on that 11-1 UNC team become an NFL all-pro?

I do know their most famous football player was the legendary LT.
That team in 97 featured future NFL stars such as Dre Bly CB, Alge Crumpler TE, Jeff Saturday C, Greg Ellis LB and Vonnie Holliday DT.

Washington Huskies QB Jake Locker has a broken finger and will miss 6-8 weeks.

I might as well say it- the Huskies will not win a game this year.

I'm a Wisconsin fan and it was absolutely the right call. The tight end was covered by Travis Beckum, making him an ineligible receiver. As bad as it hurts, I have to admit it. That game should never have come down to having to make that 2 pt conversion. An amazing fold by the Badgers in the second half and they didn't play that well in the first half, it was Michigan mistakes that made it 19-0. That comeback may turn Michigan's season around, it has to give them some confidence they didn't have in their offense. It may turn Wisconsin's season around, too. A win in the Big House would make it a lot easier to face tOSU :) next week.

Your team may have got caught looking ahead to that murderous schedule you have, and figured they were catching us in a bad season. (It's easy to see why.) Let me say something positive about MICHIGAN here: that new strength and conditioning program is paying dividends now. Our "legs" looked a lot fresher in the 4th quarter, than our opponents have. Now if we could just hang on to the damn ball....
Your season is just beginning, and Penn St. and "that evil school from the South", both can be had. A loss early in the season is not the end of the year. Better now than at the end of the season. You beat those other two teams, and the loss to MICHIGAN will be a small blip on the screen.

That team in 97 featured future NFL stars such as Dre Bly CB, Alge Crumpler TE, Jeff Saturday C, Greg Ellis LB and Vonnie Holliday DT.

Mack Brown and that staff recruited SE Virginia hard. When he left, VT's staff took over that part of the state and developed a pipeline to Blacksburg from "the 757"

Just saw that UConn's QB is out for 6-8 weeks. Good news for Carolina. Of course, we're down to our 3rd QB but if Sexton plays like he did at Miami I like our chances.

I'm not posting any rankings, but I did watch both the OU/TCU game and the Alabama/Georgia game. They are definitely my #1 and #2, in no particular order. Both OU and Alabama were VERY impressive in the first half, but let up some in the 2nd half. I'd love to see those two in the BCS championship, but with the gamut of the SEC and the Big-12 to run, neither one might make it through.

And Nick Saban is an a**hole, but he sure is a good college football coach.

Do you actually KNOW or have met Nick, or is this your opinion from the little tidbits you see on the highlight shows ?

Jimbo

Actually they finished 11-1 that season after they crushed VT 42-3 in the Gator Bowl. My problem is that they deserved to play in a bigger game than that based on their record, so no, I doubt that they would have been included in the BCS. The BCS is complete nonsense that is designed to favor teams like Ohio St and Notre Dame even if they have down years.

How many sub par years have the Buckeye's had since the BCS was started ?

2002 - 14-0
2003 - 11-2
2004 - 8-4
2005 - 10-2
2006 - 12-1
2007 - 11-2
2008 - 4-1 to present
Pretty damn consistant if you ask me.

Jimbo

How many sub par years have the Buckeye's had since the BCS was started ?

1999 was a catastrophic disappointment- from #2 in the final rankings to not making a bowl game

Also, in 2004, they lost to Northwestern for the first time in decades and played in the lower-on-the-totem-level Alamo Bowl.