NCAA says that Tressell is NOT "forthright"...

And the hits keep on coming....

Ohio State football players are alleged to have improperly traded dozens of items to the owner of a tattoo parlor, receiving tattoos, $14,000 and in one case a sport-utility vehicle, according to a newspaper report.

The report by The Columbus Dispatch says it obtained a letter Thursday that was sent from the U.S. Department of Justice to Ohio State officials in December. The document lists 36 items that players are said to have sold to Eddie Rife or traded for tattoos since 2008.

The newspaper reports that investigators say one player received a 2003 Chevy Tahoe, purchased by Rife for $3,500, in exchange for a watch and passes to the 2010 Rose Bowl.

Only a portion of the transactions were deemed violations by the NCAA, and five players have been suspended for the first five games of the upcoming season. A related NCAA investigation into coach Jim Tressel continues.

Report: Feds say Ohio State players traded, sold 36 items - ESPN

I agree the NCAA and the arbitrary decisions they make seem to be done with little if any consistency. Having said that, I think if he lied he should be fired, period. Tennessee finanlly did the right thing with Bruce Pearl after he confessed to lying. Pearl had and was making that program better. But, there should be no way a coach keeps his job at an NCAA school if he is caught lying and cheating.

I agree the NCAA and the arbitrary decisions they make seem to be done with little if any consistency. Having said that, I think if he lied he should be fired, period. Tennessee finanlly did the right thing with Bruce Pearl after he confessed to lying. Pearl had and was making that program better. But, there should be no way a coach keeps his job at an NCAA school if he is caught lying and cheating.

Question:
How did ANY of this make the Buckeyes a better team, exactly WHAT did they gain ?
They gained NO Competitive advantage from this.
Did they CHEAT on the field because of this, NO, nothing on the field was effected.

None of this made the Buckeye win more games or play any better than they would have... it's not like they were on PED and much larger than everyone else.

Last edited:

+1

Of course, Outlaw State benefited. This is an old of a scam going back to the 1950s. A player is paid 1000s of x the actual value of some token item. Esentually it is pay for play, with a token item tossed in as cover.

Shut it down.

Of course, Outlaw State benefited. This is an old of a scam going back to the 1950s. A player is paid 1000s of x the actual value of some token item. Esentually it is pay for play, with a token item tossed in as cover.

Shut it down.

Please explain to me how ANY of this made the Buckeye have a competitive advantage....

They still didn't do as well as Cam Newton with his $180,000 contract.

Question:
How did ANY of this make the Buckeyes a better team, exactly WHAT did they gain ?
Did they CHEAT on the field because of this, NO, nothing on the field was effected.

None of this made the Buckeye win more games or play any better than they would have... it's not like they were on PED and much larger than everyone else.

Did they not win a bowl game with the players and coaches in question? Might they have lost to Ark.without them? Again, IMHO, if he lied and covered this stuff up, he should be fired.

Question:

Shut it down.

Did they not win a bowl game with the players and coaches in question? Might they have lost to Ark.without them? Again, IMHO, if he lied and covered this stuff up, he should be fired.

WOW ....

You both COMPLETELY missed the point of the post.

AMAZING ...

tigerfan33 said:
Please post the link that Cam was paid $180,000 while at Auburn.

Love the come back though.
"in 4 or 5 years...... LOL
You get real.
There are NO allegations that Auburn paid Cam.
Ohio State....plenty of allegations and a letter to prove them:)

Jimbo said:
WOW ....

You both COMPLETELY missed the point of the post.

AMAZING ...

Wow!!
You are the one that missed the point.
Can you say Watergate???
The coverup allowed the players to play and coach to coach and FINALLY win against an SEC team.

Last edited:
The point was, Tressel found out his players broke the rules. He saw that AJ Green got a 4 game suspension, and knew if he reported the violation that his players would likely get the same. So he covered it up in order to not have the players out and keep the competetive advantage in those 4 games.

He later LIED (remember, he said the players weren't aware of the rule, which the letters showed that they were) in order to keep those same players in the Sugar Bowl, and not lose an advantage.

Sorry, but all the excuses in the world won't make this better.

You know why there is a "pass list" for player's guests at college games? Because in the old days, they just gave the players tickets. The players would then "scalp" the tickets to boosters. For 1000s of times even their scalp value, let alone their face value. It was pay for play. So now they just have a pass list and the NCAA reviews it to make sure the people on it are really friends and relatives. Outlaw State just thought up a varriant on that. "Sell" costume jewelery and logowear to boosters for 1000s of times its actual value. Its just a way to pay the players.

And then Liar Tressel covered it up when he got caught. He was a liar and a cheat at Youngstown State and was brought into Outlaw State to lie and cheat. The school gave him free reign to do whatever it was needed to get players. Pay for play and then a coverup.

Of course, Liar Tressel could kill his wife live on CNN and then blow up a pre-school and Outlaw State's arrogant fan base would tell us about Cam Newton and that "everybody does it".

No, everybody does not do "it". Outlaw State is the epitome of a "lack of institutional control" and must be shut down. Any penalty less than a two year death for the program and a ban for life of Liar Tressel is getting off soft. That Outlaw State will forfet every game played in 2010 and be in the books as going 0-12 is not even a question.

Shut it down.

I am very surprised that the "usual" OSU booster club from in here has yet to post a single comment.
As an OSU "fan", I'll repeat what I've said before: As for the players selling their stuff to tattoos and what-not, it's a stupid rule they broke. Yes, they broke a rule and should be punished. Going forward, the NCAA needs to be realistic and consider changing that rule. I realize though how it could be abused...

As for Tressel, I'm waiting for OSU to fire him. They have no other option. I don't fault him for trying to "handle" it internally (you know that goes on at ALL schools, at all levels) but again, that's against the NCAA's archaic rules. For him to sign that document later on saying he did NOT know, he signed his own termination papers then !!

It seems like Tressel (or OSU) thinks maybe they'll just get a strong punishment and "work through it". I'd LOVE to see that happen - as a fan - but that's not right.

Wow!!
You are the one that missed the point.
Can you say Watergate???
The coverup allowed the players to play and coach to coach and FINALLY win against an SEC team.

I am referring to the PLAYERS , THAT IS where it all started .... them BUYING or selling or whatever had NOTHING to do with the play on the field.
Nothing at all.

I am referring to the PLAYERS , THAT IS where it all started .... them BUYING or selling or whatever had NOTHING to do with the play on the field.
Nothing at all.
Still broke a rule, and Tressell still covered it up, and lied about it later.

He should have reported it and dealt with the suspension, as Georgia did.
But then again, Tressell is an old pro at covering up violations.

You know why there is a "pass list" for player's guests at college games? Because in the old days, they just gave the players tickets. The players would then "scalp" the tickets to boosters. For 1000s of times even their scalp value, let alone their face value. It was pay for play. So now they just have a pass list and the NCAA reviews it to make sure the people on it are really friends and relatives. Outlaw State just thought up a varriant on that. "Sell" costume jewelery and logowear to boosters for 1000s of times its actual value. Its just a way to pay the players.

And then Liar Tressel covered it up when he got caught. He was a liar and a cheat at Youngstown State and was brought into Outlaw State to lie and cheat. The school gave him free reign to do whatever it was needed to get players. Pay for play and then a coverup.

Of course, Liar Tressel could kill his wife live on CNN and then blow up a pre-school and Outlaw State's arrogant fan base would tell us about Cam Newton and that "everybody does it".

No, everybody does not do "it". Outlaw State is the epitome of a "lack of institutional control" and must be shut down. Any penalty less than a two year death for the program and a ban for life of Liar Tressel is getting off soft. That Outlaw State will forfet every game played in 2010 and be in the books as going 0-12 is not even a question.

Shut it down.

NCAA rules are broke EVERY day and nothing gets done about it.
The fact that it was a BIG time school is what brought all this to light, had it been Ohio University , no one would have evn known about it.

UNLESS the NCAA demands that Tressel gets fired, and I doubt they can do that, he ain't going anywhere.

IF they decide to do as YOU HOPE, and ban them for several years (that would make you estatic, I know ) (Interesting that you have NO TEAM that you proclaim to follow, but you sure are happy tom tell others how they should run thier institution.)

As an OSU "fan", I'll repeat what I've said before: As for the players selling their stuff to tattoos and what-not, it's a stupid rule they broke. Yes, they broke a rule and should be punished. Going forward, the NCAA needs to be realistic and consider changing that rule. I realize though how it could be abused...

As for Tressel, I'm waiting for OSU to fire him. They have no other option. I don't fault him for trying to "handle" it internally (you know that goes on at ALL schools, at all levels) but again, that's against the NCAA's archaic rules. For him to sign that document later on saying he did NOT know, he signed his own termination papers then !!

It seems like Tressel (or OSU) thinks maybe they'll just get a strong punishment and "work through it". I'd LOVE to see that happen - as a fan - but that's not right.

Thank you, finally someone speaking that understands the situation.

The Rule they broke was a stupid outdated one and THAT is what started all this, but others hear, fail to see that and just want to keep pounding the sh*t.