Need Help 920 4dtv

Status
Please reply by conversation.
yes thats correct
now there is also a polarity problem the dsr920 controls that also
some of the DVB receivers has this ablity mostly Pansat (that i can think of can control a corotors polarity). but i'm sure someone who has this type of setup could give you the basics on how it works.... some consider it more of a hobby , i have totally dropped my subs but my wife didn't she likes the dtv channels that i can't get with FTA .... so just letting you know there are no HBO's , Lifetimes History channels Discovery ect up there for FTA there are a lot of channels , lot of sport feeds , some PBS , some RTN, lot of Christian programming , lots of foreign channels too spanish china, japan koren ect ... lots of radio to i have fun with it i can watch most any christian show and type on the internet at the same time . its great for me.

but i didn't ask or find out if the feedhorn out at your dish now has KU lnb on it. if not you would have to upgrade that.

I replaced my lnb with a lnbf package & use a V box to drive the actuator. I was very surprised, It works quite well! When My DSR920 went out, I contacted motorola, I was able to have it upgraded by sending in my old one. My book has this for the contact # 1-888-944-4951. Good Luck

Yes George I have a Ku LNB. I researched the DVB sometime ago, but just never got one. I've always liked the free stuff you could get with Cband. That's why I wanted a DVB. I also like to tinker with the sats. It's like finding hidden treasures.

What is a corotors polarity? I don't know much about the technical gargon.

Splicerman, what is a V box?

When you contacted the company did they give you a trade in discount on the 922? Was your 920 broken? Or did they use your original unit to switch out the inside to make it a 922?

That's what I was I was wondering, if I could still get a DVB to attach to it even though it won't tune in the satellites. I guess the 920 only needs to act as a dish mover, and the DVB gives the actual picture. Is that correct?

yeah that's correct. im sorry to hear it is toast geez i hate that happen to you. pizza dish sucks pretty bad but it's whatever as long as you can watch tv lol ,

Thanks for the compassion Chefwan. I know the pizza dish I hate. They are price gougers almost as bad as cable. I wish we could order a la carte for all channels. Then I would get a few movie channels, and then add a DVB. I may get the DVB if I can figure out how to slave it to my 920, or I might go ahead and get a 922. Not sure at this point. I'd have to get a DVB that could scan and find it's own channels.

Last edited:
your 920 changes polarity from horizontal & vertical plus it skews

several DVB receivers also do it , pansat is one my coolsat 5000 doesn't
so if when i hook up to a corotor i have to change the channel on the 4dtv from like 1 to 2 to change the polarity from V to H nothing hard

newer lnbf's ( all in one ) thes units allow the newer DVB receiver to change the polarity from the coax.

a v-box acts much like the ( 920) motor mover but it also hooks up to the DVB receiver and takes the commands from the DVB receiver to move the dish
so if you told the DVB receiver to goto g0 ( galaxy 10) the v-box would move the dish there.

lol well whatever you can afford and get at the time . but i'd save for the 922 my self the movie channels on c-band are alot cheaper than pizza dish. so that's something to think about DVB doesnt have hbo and starz

Okay on the back of my receiver I have connected a wide cable that looks like a ribbon. It has 4 sections. Two of them look like cables that cable tv uses. They are attached to c and ku from the LNB. One of the others has 2 bare wires with colored plastic, and the other has 4 bare wires covered with colored plastic. I take it I keep the colored bare wires in place, but the two that are attached to the LNB will be taken off and connected to splitters that will be directed to the DVB. Is that correct?

Of course I want a new 922, but until I get enough money to buy one I may can get the cheaper DVB.

George I think I understand the polarity thing now. Thanks for explaining. That shouldn't be too difficult.

I've heard good things about that Pansat. The fact that it scans for you is a great asset.

So where does one get a V box? Would I even need one of those considering my 920 will move my dish?

Okay on the back of my receiver I have connected a wide cable that looks like a ribbon. It has 4 sections. Two of them look like cables that cable tv uses. They are attached to c and ku from the LNB. One of the others has 2 bare wires with colored plastic, and the other has 4 bare wires covered with colored plastic. I take it I keep the colored bare wires in place, but the two that are attached to the LNB will be taken off and connected to splitters that will be directed to the DVB. Is that correct?
If you are going to use the 920 (for now) to move the dish, and change the polarity (assuming the servo motor is still working), then you could unhook the 2 coax cables from the 920 and use them with a Diseqc switch on a DVB receiver.

Al

Okay thanks Al. I assume I won't need the V box, since my 920 will move my dish. What is the servo motor? What model of Pansat do I need? I know there was an older model that wouldn't blind scan.

yes you wouldn't need a v-box unles the 920 failed or if you got tired of manually changing the 920 what we don't know is if the 920 will actually save & store a satellite location so you would need to test that . then we run into the question , will that happen again ( the total reset) if this is something that happens often then it might be best to look at a v-box II or G-Box or an old c-band receiver. its a bad battery unit i think this battery not only stored the Unit ID it also stors your sat locations so when the power blinks or goes out its blanks again. now its not hard to program you can write doen all the locations. just a thought

it would also be a good idea to take a picture of the back side of the 920 where the wires go so you will know when you change or upgrade in the future.

the broke 920 doesn't even need the coax anymore just like AL said hook the coax to a diseqc switch then to a DVB receiver

if you let the 920 control the motor & polarity you could get any DVB receiver
but as stated above if the 920 has more problems than already noted , the pansat is one that can control a corotor. ( i'm sure there are others this is just one that i know of .

The 920 will save a sat setting and move to another sat setting, however if it gets unplugged or if the electricity goes out I would have to reset the sats. Your right I could write everything down, but that could be more trouble than it's worth to have to reset everything occasionally. So would the DVB store the sats? If not I would think a V box would be better than the broken unit. And for that expense I would be better off getting a 922 for now.

Thanks Al. I think mine was replaced not too long ago.

What is an LNBF compared to a LNB? Will a DVB work with the LNB c and k?

The DVB receiver will only store USALS or 1.2 Diseqc commands. The VBox will convert those commands (I think just the 1.2 Diseqc commands and not the USALS) to operate with the actuator.

Al

An LNB (low noise block downconverter) is used with a servo motor (polarotor) to change polarity when changing channels. An LNBF (low noise block downconverter with feedhorn) is used without a servo motor (polarotor) and changes polarity through 13v/18v switching. You could use any DVB receiver with an lnbf, as it would be able to switch polarity without a servo motor (polarotor).

Al

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)