Need super simple remote for Dish VIP 722

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
I have my VIP722 set up on TV2 for my father's room in our house. He is suffering from Alzheimer's and has trouble remembering the buttons on the remote control, the DishNetwork UHF one. What he really needs is a simple remote control that will send out UHF from only On / off, volume, channel up and down. Really simple control. IS there anything out there like that?

There is a larger button remote available from Dish, but there is no basic function remote as you deem ideal that I am aware.

The remote given is called an EZ remote. Dish does sell the EZ remote but if I am not mistaken it is only IR and will not work at TV2. I don't believe there is an "EZ" TV2 remote.

Thanks for the EZ remote suggestion. Maybe what I need is a separate tuner for my Dad's room with this remote. He doesn't need DVR. HD would be nice but even that is not necessary. The monitor is a 22" HDTV.

Fortunately, I have an easy way to tap into the Dish switch to run the cable for a tuner in his room using the same RG6 as the current TV2 line from the 722.

Thanks to you all, I now feel I have the lingo to discuss this request with a CSR at Dish.

I dont have a manual in front of me and it has been a while since I did this but I had the same trouble with my mother. She would change the channel on the tv with the remote instead of changing the sat channel. Could not remember to put the remote back to sat mode. In the manual you can make the remote only have power controll for the tv and volume controll wont change tv channel but still gives all the funtions for the sat. Hope that helps

Thanks! I'll look for it and give it a try.

I found the info if you need it.
To enable limited mode on a remote and mode that supports it, simply add a "1" to the end of the code, increasing the code's length by one digit. For example, the TV code "560" would become "5601" for limited mode; likewise, the 2nd VCR code "1559" would become "15591" for limited mode.

To escape limited mode, simply reprogram the mode with the original code. If you do not remember the original code, check (blink out) the code on the remote, and disregard the "1" at the end. For example, if the VCR code blinks out "6-2-3-1", then programming the VCR mode to "623" will disable limited mode for the VCR mode.

Easy Limited Mode How To for the 6.2 and 6.3 Remote

1. Program the remote to operate the device (for example, a TV), using the codes or Power Scan.
  2. Press and hold the mode button (for example, TV Mode for a TV), until all the mode buttons light up, then release.
  3. Press PAGE UP on the remote control.
  4. Press # (pound) on the remote control.
Remotes that support Easy Limited mode include:
  • 3.2, 5.3, some 6.2 IR/UHF Pro, 6.3 IR/UHF Pro
To turn Limited Mode off, use the same procedure but press PAGE DOWN instead of PAGE UP on the remote.
This procedure works for TV, VCR, and AUX modes.

this solution has worked before for a family member in the same situation. first, create a favorites list for your grandpa with all his channels. this will make it easier for him to channel up and down and find what he likes to watch. second, get a razor blade and shave off all buttons that he would not need to use. this will keep it obvious to him what buttons to use. if that doesnt work, then maybe a 211 with a ir ez remote would be the best way to go.

Got the Limited functions now for the TV and this will eliminate the problem where he constantly got off the TV2 channel (22) to something other and got snow all the time. We'll see how that works. I will also set up a Favorites list. Thanks!

If I have an older UHF remote in my junk box I'll do the razor blade thing but not with the new UHF control, I may wish to use that for someone else some day.

glad to hear. i know right now every little thing that makes life easier for your dad is extremely valuable. you can probably get a second remote from claud at dishstore.net if you wanted to shave the buttons. just be very careful when you do

Of course it is good to make things easier for Don's dad. It is also important to remember that things need to be easier for Don as well. Bless you Don for taking care of your dad at this really hard juncture of his life.

Thanks Bobby- Kind thoughts indeed. People really don't understand how much patients it requires until they go through this. I am very fortunate to have an understanding wife and a home based business that I can throttle back as needed.

The limited mode is preventing him from going off channel now, so that is working well. This may be all we need for awhile.

Hey, the lock down on the remote to prevent him changing UHF channels on the TV is working wonders. Haven't gotten lost since limiting that function. :)

This has been a very informative topic for me as well. My grandma is suffering from memory loss, although we can't find out what is wrong. She occasionally switches the television from the correct channel to an old antenna channel that is very fuzzy. It is the last one not to do the digital transition in my viewing area, and the picture is real bad, but she'll say that it is the only one that she gets.

I'm going to put her remote in limited mode now. I didn't know such a thing existed.

One thing that really helped was turning updates off. I don't like doing that, but if I don't, the satellite turns off nightly and returns to the Dish Network screen. At that point, she can't seem to remember that she needs to power it on every time she sees that screen, and then she would put it on an antenna channel that has bad reception.

I also was going to make a favorite list for her, but because she wants to retain her independence and live alone, I don't really know what stations she really likes. When I ask her, she'll just say whatever is on. Usually I leave the Game Show Network on whenever I leave her house, and it stays on that channel all the time. If I don't, then she just sits in her house with every light off, going through her mail over and over and over again.

I feel sorry for her, because her bill is outrageously high, but when I try to ask her what stations she would like to keep, she really doesn't know what station I am talking about. When I show her the station, she says she wants to keep it, but I never see her watching it unless I put it on.

I don't really know what to do, but I do appreciate the tip on limited mode. I'll do that the next time I go to see her.

olfenite- i went through this same situation with my grandmother when trying to reduce package/set up favorites list. what ever channel i asked her about, she would say she needs it. even when it came to mtv and vh1 (channels i know she would never watch). i began to realize that there was a chance that her mind had a defense mechanism that rather then not admit she didnt realize a situation she would instead play it safe, as in keeping the channel incase it was one she wanted. instead, i found out from my own observence and from family and friends observences what shows she really did enjoy. using that information, i created a fav list for her and reduced her package to save her money.

turning off the updates and standby mode, bad idea. you will be finding her program guide to often say "info not available". course there is the chance she has never and never will use the program guide. what worked for my grandma, is that i set her receiver to auto tune to her favorite 24 hours news channel every morning at 6 am. seeing how she got up at 7 am, this meant her news would be on for her first thing when she turned on the tv, and not the press select to continue screen. then mon-fri it would auto tune to price is right at 10 am. then to her favorite soap at noon, etc. i had her favorite shows autotuning throughout the whole day 7 days a week. worked wonders. about a week later, i was talking to her, and she was commenting on how smart the dish was to know what she liked. she wanted to know how it new to turn to little house on the prarie for her then turn the channel after that to her stories. i tried to explain, but then just ended up telling her "i told the box what you liked".

even the simple non-dvr recievers have the auto tune. try it out. it might help. also, go into the menu of your television it self and lock out all the uhf channels on it except the modulated channel for dish.

on a lighter side, perhaps borat could have used this in his hotel room instead of watching the hotel menu. (not poking fun at your grandma, but we all can use relief during times like this)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)