Need to make a 300+ft run...can it be done

notsatsavy

Original poster
Mar 25, 2014
Crown City OH
New at this Sat. stuff, but living kinda rural now and this is my only option.
I am in need of some help. Reading through some of these threads and I feel as though I am back in kindergarten...anyway, just had Dish installed and the tech said that he wouldn't install a receiver in our Party Barn because it was too far away, more than 200 ft. Is there a way to make this happen? He stated that there was an open port on the node and I could try and do it but might burn up the receiver. The previous owners had a separate dish out there but really cant afford the extra cost right now, so I am in need of some expert advise:
*amplifier or no amplifier, if so which one
*rg6 or rg11
*what type of connectors
He installed 1 Hopper with Sling, 1 Super Joey and 1 Joey in the house. He activated the 4th but that was suppose to be for the barn so it is just sitting idle in the box.

Is there anyway to get the signal out to the barn? It will not be used often, just an occasional game or race while we are hanging out having a drink.

Thanks in advance for any advice that can be given.

Im thinking if you need the joey at the barn which is 300 ft away from the house connecting it via Cat 5 wired ethernet may be your best bet im not sure if the moca signal would reach 300 ft, even if using rg-11. Cat 5 has a limit of 100 meters if i remember. If you only use it occasionally, it might make sense to just use your other joey (not SJ) and bring it to the barn. Just my 2 cents
MINER

New at this Sat. stuff, but living kinda rural now and this is my only option.
I am in need of some help. Reading through some of these threads and I feel as though I am back in kindergarten...anyway, just had Dish installed and the tech said that he wouldn't install a receiver in our Party Barn because it was too far away, more than 200 ft. Is there a way to make this happen? He stated that there was an open port on the node and I could try and do it but might burn up the receiver. The previous owners had a separate dish out there but really cant afford the extra cost right now, so I am in need of some expert advise:
*amplifier or no amplifier, if so which one
*rg6 or rg11
*what type of connectors
He installed 1 Hopper with Sling, 1 Super Joey and 1 Joey in the house. He activated the 4th but that was suppose to be for the barn so it is just sitting idle in the box.

Is there anyway to get the signal out to the barn? It will not be used often, just an occasional game or race while we are hanging out having a drink.

Thanks in advance for any advice that can be given.

Do you have wifi? Can you access it from the party barn (strong enough to get a signal there)? If so, two things...people have unofficially been able to get a Joey to connect over wifi. The current Joey is not supported by Dish to use wifi, so if it doesn't work, Dish can't help. But, there is a wireless Joey coming in a few months.

Another option is that people that have Hopper/Joey systems can add a purchased 211K (or 211Z) receiver to their accounts to use in an RV. If you had such a setup, that receiver would be able to work from a single cable run down from the Dish antenna, assuming it is still on the party barn. Or, you could purchase a Tailgater antenna, that is used in an RV setup, and hook the 211k to that Tailgater. With a purchased receiver, you can call in to have the receiver deactivated when it's not being used, that would save you $7 per month.

If you want a decent setup out there and don't mind spending the money for it I would just have a second dish antenna installed on the party barn and then buy a 211 receiver to use out there as well. If you ever want DVR capabilities you can just add a hard drive to it. If you know you won't use it for a while you can always deactivate the receiver as well.

Thanks for the reply Miner, but also have sat internet with a 10gig monthly allowance so the internet is probably not a choice either. Just measured the distance and its more like 250' rather than 300. Theres has got to be a way. ( I am hoping)

Wifi is not Internet. You would be using your local LAN. A wireless setup might work, especially if you use reflectors for the signal. Or maybe you could run power and Ethernet out part way to a wireless access point, improving the signal.

You seem to think a dish/LNB are expensive. I think if you priced it out, it might surprise you, considering you won't be buying 250-300 ft of possibly RG-11 coax.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I really think my idea is your best bet. You would only have like a $250 investment and you just pay $7 per month for the 211 when you want to use it with the ability to deactivate it whenever you want.

You wouldn't have to connect the hopper to the internet. Just set up a separate network and run a cat5/cat6 line out there for a Joey.

of course this is all in theory... If it works, you could just move the joey back and forth from the house to the barn.

Last edited:
Think it will work. If i remember correct the spec is 200 ft from node and you can assume they gave themselves a safety margin. Do a temp run of cable and see if it works.

Good reason to place node closest possible distance to the distant joey during setup.

Sent using SatelliteGuys Android App

The distance may be related to handshake timing. Too far and the handshake would fail, no matter what type of connection.

Sent using SatelliteGuys Android App

You can get a signal booster/amp pretty common now for regular cable lines. You lose db's the longer you run which is what causes the MOCA to struggle so in theory this may work. I've not tried it but hey as long as you are not trying to "boost" the signal from the dish to the node I don't see why this wouldn't work - kinda like adding a 44 switch to increase the signal from the dish to a receiver on a long run. Just order one from Amazon and if it works great if not then send it back but worth a shot...the motorola boosters are pretty good. Also RG6 is all you would need here for the cable type.

I agree with nelson61. Pretty cheap to just try it with RG6. I've run 200' to a joey with no issues. Don't know if another 50' will matter or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)