new carbon ui hopper experence app this morning

I am actually really looking forward to an updated interface and if there are improvements to performance that would be great as well. I've been doing my own PVR with SageTV, MediaPortal, Kodi (at the time it was XBMC) for years and Dish is way, way behind the times in terms of UI. I stopped doing my own PVR about two years ago because my wife was complaining about my spending time customizing it, and I believe the Hopper has some significant technical benefits but the UI is definitely not one of them.

I am actually really looking forward to an updated interface and if there are improvements to performance that would be great as well. I've been doing my own PVR with SageTV, MediaPortal, Kodi (at the time it was XBMC) for years and Dish is way, way behind the times in terms of UI. I stopped doing my own PVR about two years ago because my wife was complaining about my spending time customizing it, and I believe the Hopper has some significant technical benefits but the UI is definitely not one of them.
What's wrong with the Hopper UI? That's one of the best things about it. The logo guide, graphical interface, and speed is what makes it so good. I had the DTV Genie and the Hopper UI is still better to look at and more innovative than that of the Genie. Having said that, I too am looking forward to the new UI.

Compare the Hopper interface with set-tops from the cablecos and Directv. Sure, that can get ideas from PC-based platforms but they don't compete otherwise.

Yep can't wait for that new UI... To be followed by the usual "why".... "how do I get back my old UI".. My favorite is coming up... "What, Dish wants how much for this year's increases!".... And so the stomach turns... :rolleyes:
Those are some of the best parts, if you have nothing better to do, like myself. Facebook will be far to interesting and so will Dish main forum.

Dish's UI is faster than other set top boxes, but nowhere near as fast as PC based PVRs. In addition the PC based PVRs can be customized to the user's preferences. Personally I don't like the concept of the DVR list on Dish. I'd much rather have a list that a simple right arrow opens up the episode list for each show. Then have a different background for each episode rather than the plain gray background. Use a screen shot from the episode for the background. While you are at it put a standard screen shot from the show on while in the top level list. Then allow customization of what is shown on the Home screen to allow things like local weather, a set of favorite shows so you don't have to go into the DVR list to get to your favorite shows, Maybe your favorite apps. Next I like to have a clock in the lower right corner of the screen while video is playing. Nothing obnoxious, but since I don't have a clock in the room we use the TV in this is convenient.

Of course none of those should be forced on anybody, but adding those options would be nearly impossible for DISH. I just wanted to describe which ways I feel DISH's UI is lacking.

Which is why I prefer something that is customizable. DVR UIs are on much larger screens and don't need to be as limited as a smartphone interface. It would be better to give a "Simple" option that is like smartphones and an "Advanced" option that is more like a computer.

That depends largely on the PC and the interface used.
Actually a fairly low end PC can outpace the Hopper. The nice thing is that if you want to speed up the interface you just put in more memory or possibly a faster CPU. I did this for over a decade and if it weren't for the two facts that my wife got tired of my spending time on it and the requirement for a separate box to record each channel along with a capture card for the box I would still be doing it. When Google bought SageTV I lost faith, but now that it is open source I am thinking about it again. The expense of the boxes and the fact that I am in seminary as well as working full time prevent me from doing this for the next few years.

Yep can't wait for that new UI...
I'd like to see them identify and swat all of the existing bugs before they introduce any new ones (or resurrect old ones). Long-standing bugs do a lot more damage to a product's reputation than some shiny new features can restore.

Actually a fairly low end PC can outpace the Hopper. The nice thing is that if you want to speed up the interface you just put in more memory or possibly a faster CPU. I did this for over a decade and if it weren't for the two facts that my wife got tired of my spending time on it and the requirement for a separate box to record each channel along with a capture card for the box I would still be doing it. When Google bought SageTV I lost faith, but now that it is open source I am thinking about it again. The expense of the boxes and the fact that I am in seminary as well as working full time prevent me from doing this for the next few years.
You make excellent arguments against computer-based solutions:

1. Fundmental platform changes in both hardware and OS (less a problem under Linux).
2. Software direction/philosophical changes
3. Upgrade costs
4. WAF

Reactions: osu1991