New Dual Tuner OTA Adapter

What I'm saying is guide data on the major networks is, but on scanned locals that aren't affiliated..like GRIT and MeTV..it's is definitely NOT populated.

Looking at my channels...

Boun -- No data
Grit -- No data
MeTV -- populated
Ante -- Populated
Come --- no data
Get -- no data
APR -- no data
Weat -- no data

Last edited:
Your original statement was "guide data isn't populated on the OTA channels". That is false and no, it's not nit-picking. Some may read your comment and take it as fact. You are correct, guide isn't populated on some channels. In my market, about 25% of the channels I receive (many of the same you list) are empty.

This has been going on for, oh.... 5-6 years. Personally, I've given up on it.

Reactions: osu1991
When I think of OTA, I think of channels that I don't already get in my sub....which are inclusive of the networks. I never thought of OTA channels in the same as some folks because I've always had locals via satellite.

I attempted to get the above problem resolved with the guide data and found it is useless. The claim is they won't update any new changes unless Dish already carries the channels - this has been since 2011. I finally gave up and "moved" to Los Angeles from Palm Springs. Problem solved.

I'm just glad the thing stopped making my receiver reboot itself. There's still an issue where for some reason, the OTA channel being viewed loses signal and causes an entire reboot. If watching OTA on joey, and it happens, the hopper reboots. It's not as common as it was in October, but occasionally it still rears it's head.

No kidding. I've emailed Dirt about this issue yet they responded saying the tech staff has never heard thus before.

No kidding. I've emailed Dirt about this issue yet they responded saying the tech staff has never heard thus before.
Many parts of the same company or service often don't communicate with each other, especially when a problem occurs on the Dish service, but requires Echostar engineers to address and fix.

I really don't consider having 25% missing to be a good thing or acceptable. Your case is obviously worse.
I do agree that your situation is certainly MORE than bad enough. I may have sounded a bit snippy, but I wasn't meaning it for you, and I guess I did misunderstand your point that 25% is bad. I was communicating my frustration with Echo/Dish and was making a point for their eyes. We are in the same boat, friend. Again, if we are going to pay for the new dual tuner OTA dongle, let's hope they pay their share to Gracenote (now owned by Nielsen) so that we all can have good OTA sub-channel data.

It's not Dish, it's the guide service they subscribe to. Why should they be responsible for guide data on hundreds (thousands nationwide) of sub channels. They are a satellite service. Maybe you should go over to DirecTV where they have discontinued the OAT tuner. At least Dish is coming out with a new one.
Um, when TiVo used Gracenote, TiVo DVR's had about 99% of all OTA sub-channel EPG. So, Gracenote (and now Rovi) have the data. I suspect Gracenote wants more $$$ to provide Dish for channels that aren't in contract.

It is NOT the guide service. It is DISH. The guide service provides all that sub channel data. Dish just doesn't map the data to the subchannels in the data stream, so the receivers have nothing to show but the generic default DIGITAL CHANNEL.
Tivo used the same guide data service for years and they provided all the subchannel listings nationwide. Unfortunately now that Tivo has switched to their crappy in house service from the new Rovi/Tivo, the listings are there for about 88-90% of customers, but much of the data just sucks.
And the episode data reads like a REVIEW or CRITIQUE, and it WASTES limited SPACE for the info. I don't want subjective comments like an old episode of "SiskBert" (Siskel & Ebert). Rovi, just provide a brief discripton of the plot or situation with no spoilers, but they can't even do that.

Reactions: osu1991
And the episode data reads like a REVIEW or CRITIQUE, and it WASTES limited SPACE for the info. I don't want subjective comments like an old episode of "SiskBert" (Siskel & Ebert). Rovi, just provide a brief discripton of the plot or situation with no spoilers, but they can't even do that.

Their data on the XX channels is ...quite amusing. I keep those locked out except for my bedroom ...but occasionally I'll read a few for laughs while looking at 501 offerings.

I checked signal strengths, and every channel is excellent..none are even close to having lost signal..
But for some reason, tuning to a OTA channel will sometimes show a signal loss error, and leaving it there will eventually cause the IRD to reboot. Maybe the new one addresses this.

I checked signal strengths, and every channel is excellent..none are even close to having lost signal..
But for some reason, tuning to a OTA channel will sometimes show a signal loss error, and leaving it there will eventually cause the IRD to reboot. Maybe the new one addresses this.

I find when that happens, if I channel up/down to an adjacent subchannel then right back, the signal loss error goes away and the channel loads normally. (i.e. go from 009-01 to 009-02 and back)

I find when that happens, if I channel up/down to an adjacent subchannel then right back, the signal loss error goes away and the channel loads normally. (i.e. go from 009-01 to 009-02 and back)

With the new OTA on horizon, I wonder if they'll bother with fixing a problem with the old single OTA? I'd venture to guess not...so for those that don't update it'll be a living bug most likely?

What I'm saying is guide data on the major networks is, but on scanned locals that aren't affiliated..like GRIT and MeTV..it's is definitely NOT populated.

Looking at my channels...

Boun -- No data
Grit -- No data
MeTV -- populated
Ante -- Populated
Come --- no data
Get -- no data
APR -- no data
Weat -- no data
Are you in/near the Chicago land area?

Moat likely DIRT has been TOLD what to say in response. Not the first time, IMHO. They don't (and I would not them to, either) lose their jobs, so they do what they are told.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)