New GEOSATpro microHD Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
no pre-orders accepted until they have a finalized date
Brian doesnt want to hold our money and feel rushed to get a inferior product out to make a few people who pre-ordered happy :)

price is around $125 but not finalized
features...pretty much everything the Manhattan can do + more :)
(and the manhattan can do more than the SSO's can)

There is always the HDMI to Component Adapter with left/right RCA audio and SPDIF audio breakout. Amazon has several versions for around $30.

Read quite a few reviews on the products available, seems to be sort of a hit or miss, which appears to depend a lot on both the HDMI input device, as well as what type of TV.

When connecting composite from either my AZBox or Pansat directly to my TV there is definitely marked signal degradation when compared to component. However, if I run the composite to my Magnavox DVD recorder which then sends the video via component to the TV, the signal degradation is not very great. Seems the Magnavox does a very good job of cleaning up and sharpening the composite video before sending it via component. Menus are the biggest test, naturally, and came through with only slight degradation via the Magnavox (and was a tenfold improvement on composite directly to the TV).

EDIT: Just noticed I am over a thousand posts with this post! Nowhere near as many as Iceberg, but didn't think I talked (posted) that much!

Yea, ICE talks a lot, but he knows his stuff...so that makes it ok...that is why we have so few posts...so busy reading his!

I'm looking to buy a new STB, but this Openbox/Skybox/S9/S10/S11....bla bla bla...I hear the clock can be made to work on the S9 now...

But I'd sure like to see a box built for the US that just works or is fixed when found not to work. How many years to get an SSO with a clock?

Hey, I love my S9, but I had to learn to, ya know what I mean? I love my car too, but a brand new one could change my mind pretty quick.

Soooo looking forward to buying 2 of these. So tired of playing the "hacking firmware game" with open box. Thumbs up Brian and thanks for your hard work and investment.

Instead of pre-orders, is there a way to register our interest in the product so that we may be contacted when it becomes available (particularly for those who don't haunt this thread)?

Richard

Instead of pre-orders, is there a way to register our interest in the product so that we may be contacted when it becomes available

We have no list serve set up for this. Maybe the SatelliteGuys forum software has a way to PM members who have replied to a specific thread? If so, we could start a microHD notification thread...

please put me on the list. i will probably break it first... actually, i finally got the 8' working well and talked the wife into going family dish and then have the sat receiver to switch to plus the local channels. and i will put the new receiver where the wife can use it. i will be able to report how a wife that only knows how to push the buttons will do with it. hope it has a good remote, easy to use. charlie

Glad to know that there is interest in the microHD! No waiting list exists, but there will no missing the fact when the microHDs are released.

We are airing in several cases in advance and will have several SatelliteGuys contests to give away several units before they will be available for sale! Just one of the benefits of being a Satellite Guy!

We have no list serve set up for this. Maybe the SatelliteGuys forum software has a way to PM members who have replied to a specific thread? If so, we could start a microHD notification thread...

That is an option but there are issues with it.
If a response is in the thread then everyone subscribed gets notification. SO we could lock it so only your posts go in there but then you'd have to PM staff to open it so you can put in the post.

Lemme ask Scott about it

Can the new box memorize a volume level for the audio of each channel? So that you don't have a few channels that blast you out of your chair when you're surfing.

Can the new box memorize a volume level for the audio of each channel? So that you don't have a few channels that blast you out of your chair when you're surfing.

I don't know, but I'd sure like to have a "Half Mute". Hit it once for 1/2 volume and 2x for full mute. I think this might be better built into a TV so as not to affect your recording....but man....commercial comes on...I'm pretty tired of that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There was supposed to be something in the FCC or something floating around to limit that stuff.

Can the new box memorize a volume level for the audio of each channel?

No satellite access for a few days. Will check on Wednesday and report.

I know that it saves the audio selections, I.E. language, Stereo/Left/Right. Wouldn't think that it saves unique audio level setting on a per channel basis. I could see a potential train wreck waiting to happen if was memorized...... Imaging turning down the volume because everyone was asleep in the house, then you change channels....BAMMMMMM!!!!!! The Fortec Star Mercury II had a neat option that allowed the viewer to set volume offsets on a per channel basis, but it has created numerous customer support issues with the majority of customers accidentally setting it to an unacceptable level while they are trying to only set the volume. Have often wished that the Mercury II didn't have that feature!

I don't know, but I'd sure like to have a "Half Mute". Hit it once for 1/2 volume and 2x for full mute.

I like the idea and will investigate!

I think this might be better built into a TV so as not to affect your recording

User initiated volume settings do not change the audio level of USB recordings. Recordings are made of the raw satellite data for the tuned service.

...I could see a potential train wreck waiting to happen if was memorized......
I'm setting up a box for a friend, one I'd never heard of or worked with. It has this feature, and the feature appears only when you hit the audio button on the remote. The choice appears in addition to the audio track selection, and the stereo/left/right options. Not something that I would ordinarily nor accidentally invoke. All channel audio levels are defaulted to the center, you can attenuate or boost. Works great on 97W where a few channels are scorchers with their audio, but I also boosted a channel or two to bring up the sound level a bit on them. The normal volume control is a completely separate function.

I had never thought about such a feature, but it's been implemented well in this one case and I like it. I can't envision a train wreck with the exact implementation used on this box, but I've only been on this particular railroad for two days and will send this box on its way in a day or two. But I doubt the average user would ever abuse it as in the example you gave, but maybe. Worth a consideration.

I like the idea and will investigate!

User initiated volume settings do not change the audio level of USB recordings. Recordings are made of the raw satellite data for the tuned service.

I had a analog DVR that would lower the volume on the recording...wasn't thinking.

The half mute came from watching tv with my wife. Watching a movie turned up so we can hear the low parts and then comes the commercials so I turn it down and we visit...but at full mute we miss when it comes back on...and some commercials I want to see, like what is on next or next week...just not blow my Vizio speakers out!

Always have to hold the down volume, then hold the up...

It just comes down to it would be nice if they would "normalize" the volume like people do to their MP3's.

I doubt the average user would ever abuse it as in the example you gave, but maybe. Worth a consideration.

I agree that I look at it a bit differently as we provide telephone technical support for approximately 40,000 Fortec Star, Mercury II receivers that were shipped with Glorystar systems. We receive several calls a day from viewers who have changed the audio offset rather than the volume. Maybe it happens because it is on the Audio button and does control the volume without warning prompts that inform the customer that they are about to modify the volume level for that single channel only. It is really one of those features that a service provider hates as it actually creates calls rather than fix a common complaint.

The feature might best implemented in a menu setting rather than a direct remote button access. I could possibly see it being effectively implemented in the channel manager screen.....

Thanks for the insights into human behavior. Whether or how you implement it is up to you. Thanks.

Last edited:
Never have spent too much time in the audio mode development. I do like that suggestion of normalizing the audio! Would have to see if that could be supported in the chipset.

Always wondered what that audio offset thing was on the Mercury2, never messed with it, and never took the time to look in the book either. That thing still is a nice box, and I still use mine as a backup.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)