New hopper customer, a few issues

ekilgus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Southeast US
After a week with the hopper with one wired and one wireless joey, the experience is generally a good one. I transitioned to the hopper from a 622 and a 612.

Things I like: The caller ID appears on all TV's. The graphic look of the EPG. All TV's have HD. Access to the EHD from all joey's. The wireless joey has been 100% solid.

Things not so good: A custom EPG needs to be duplicated on each joey instead of being able to create one and have it propagated to the joey's. I had a phone line connected to the 622 via one of those powerline phone extensions. There was some background static but the 622 had no problem with this and functioned for years. The hopper is apparently more sensitive to this static, so if I want caller ID I need to run a phone extension to it. I've accepted this and am in the process of doing this. Not really a big deal.
When using the view button on an OTA channel on the 622, the signal strength was displayed, not so with the hopper. It would be nice to see that rectified.

Problems: Thus far, I have a problem with a custom EPG on the wired joey in that overnight, the local channels get unselected. I can re-select the locals and they will remain throughout the day even when the joey is turned off, then turned back on. However, overnight for some reason, the local channels always get unselected. Any ideas?

... When using the view button on an OTA channel on the 622, the signal strength was displayed, not so with the hopper. It would be nice to see that rectified. ...

When on an OTA channel press the 'Info' button and see the signal strength on the left side under the program avatar.

I will be happy to forward your feedback on the custom guide's for the Joeys. The reason the guides work the way they do currently is because all tuners are held in the Hopper. the Joey is just an extension of the Hopper that provides HD programming at that remote TV.

After a week with the hopper with one wired and one wireless joey, the experience is generally a good one. I transitioned to the hopper from a 622 and a 612.

Things I like: The caller ID appears on all TV's. The graphic look of the EPG. All TV's have HD. Access to the EHD from all joey's. The wireless joey has been 100% solid.

Things not so good: A custom EPG needs to be duplicated on each joey instead of being able to create one and have it propagated to the joey's. I had a phone line connected to the 622 via one of those powerline phone extensions. There was some background static but the 622 had no problem with this and functioned for years. The hopper is apparently more sensitive to this static, so if I want caller ID I need to run a phone extension to it. I've accepted this and am in the process of doing this. Not really a big deal.
When using the view button on an OTA channel on the 622, the signal strength was displayed, not so with the hopper. It would be nice to see that rectified.

Problems: Thus far, I have a problem with a custom EPG on the wired joey in that overnight, the local channels get unselected. I can re-select the locals and they will remain throughout the day even when the joey is turned off, then turned back on. However, overnight for some reason, the local channels always get unselected. Any ideas?
Try a couple things. Add channel 1 and 501 into your favorites list, and then Lock and Hide locked for those two channels. Save your list. Then go into the guide and set your favorites list to what you want defaulted and pull the power cable. It is not the exact same issue as was being reported previously, but similar, so see if that helps.

There is no setting, it is just there. Just to be sure, you are on an OTA channel. Go to that channel and then Guide. Is that channel shown as xxx-01, 02, 03? If it is 00, then you are not on an OTA local, just a satellite version of it.

There is no setting, it is just there. Just to be sure, you are on an OTA channel. Go to that channel and then Guide. Is that channel shown as xxx-01, 02, 03? If it is 00, then you are not on an OTA local, just a satellite version of it.
Correction. I see it. The signal strength is shown from the hopper only, not from the joey.

Try a couple things. Add channel 1 and 501 into your favorites list, and then Lock and Hide locked for those two channels. Save your list. Then go into the guide and set your favorites list to what you want defaulted and pull the power cable. It is not the exact same issue as was being reported previously, but similar, so see if that helps.

I tried this and it seems to have resolved the issue and my locals, both Dish supplied and OTA, no longer get unselected in the EPG on the Joey. I wanted to wait for a couple of days before posting the results here to see if the problem resurfaced, It hasn't yet. My thanks for providing a solution.
BTW, I don't know why this would work, but it obviously does.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)