New Hopper?

i understand you guys get upset about this i just wish we had some more apps we can choose from

I would like to see a Super Hopper with Sling that has 6 Satellite tuners, 2 OTA tuners, 4K capable, and more integration between two or more Hoppers. Shouldn't this thread be in The Hopper Zone section?

Reactions: bobvick
let me explain why i listen to siriusxm bluegrass junction on my bluetooth headphones and they play the same songs all the time.with tunein radio you can listen to over 100,000 radio stations there is a bluegrass stations that i listen to after 2pm after i get back from the gym and there playlists are alot better than bluegrass junction is.iheart would be great to listen to stations that are not listed on tunein.slacker more a variety of artists on there. spotify listen to on my computer there should be a searchable database with artists albums you can listen to i tried to explain it the best i can for you guys.

Any additional app would have to be licensed for the Hopper which involves money changing hands usually. Dish just cannot take any app they want and stick it into their equipment without getting permission to use it. They gave you Pandora and SiriusXM and their own music channels already and yet you want more? There are already enough music options on the Hopper in my opinion to meet anyone's needs, especially Pandora which allows you to customize your own channel experience.

Here my wish list.

5-6 Tuners
Bigger Hard Drive Solid State
Support 4K Resolution
Lastest HDMI Standard
USB 3.0 Port
Amazon Prime App
New Touch Remote

tunein,hulu,iheart,rdio,spotify,slacker
As these are all competitive with DISH's subscription services at some level, do you think this is reasonable? I sure don't.

As I said earlier, just get a Android TV box and go to town. That way we don't have to suffer the development pains of something that most of us already have access to through other means. The companies that do streamers for a living are surely better suited to developing and maintaining streaming apps. DISH is in the business of supporting their products and I'm not in favor of chasing after stuff that distracts them from that business.

SSDs both suck and blow for DVR applications.
  1. They don't do well with large files
  2. They don't do well when they get much over 75% full (so you must use considerably larger capacities)
  3. They haven't proven to be any more resistant to failure than Winchester drives
  4. There is a certain overhead involved in maintaining SSDs that isn't an issue with Winchester mechanisms (trimming).
  5. The manufacturing cost of the current Hopper with a 2.5TB SSD would be well over $1,000.
They're usually quiet and don't run too hot but not that much quieter and not that much cooler.

I have a question to those saying a bigger HD. I checked last night and I have 376 shows on my DVR and it is 34% full. There is about 1/3 each of movies, 30 min shows and 1 hour shows, That tells me It would hold about a 1000 shows or 1000 hours of recordings. If you did nothing but watch TV for 16 hours a day it would take over 2 months to watch everything on a full hopper. I find the current Hopper more than adequate as far as space. How much space do you need. About the only things I would change is faster cpu and more ram to make it a bit more responsive and I would add tuners so that a super joey was not needed to have 5 tuners.

Our HWS usually stays between 75-95% full. It is quite common that we save entire seasons to watch later. In all honesty no matter what the size is we will fill it up. :) I usually have to go through every few months and delete stuff that I know we won't ever watch, but it is nice to have the option if we decide to watch it.

Reactions: bwexler and ChadT41
i like that idea of dish app store where you can choose what apps you want
You don't seem to understand how this works. Someone has to develop the apps specifically for the Hopper. Adding an "app store" doesn't mean that magically hundreds of thousands of apps can be copied to it.

Reactions: navychop
Can't add a local? OTA?
Can't add them manually (by inputting their direct channel #). I think for most this isn't a big deal. Where it's an issue is for people who have to rotate their antenna to receive add'l channel. What happens is you 1) scan, 2) save the channels, 3) rotate the antenna, 4) scan again, the first set of channels you saved are erased and replaced with the new set of channels. What people want to do is steps 1, 2, and 3, and then manually input the channels they know are in that new direction.

Reactions: satjay and bobvick
Most likely new with new Hopper IMHO:
1. MoCA 2.0 (Gigabit bandwidth)
2. HDMI 2.0a
3. Wallaby?: (coming to ALL Hoppers) Mirroring feature (able to mirror what is on ONE of your TV's to another TV or mobile device IN HOME LAN only.
4. More tuners: specifically ability to install 2 Hoppers and one Super Joey for 8 sat tuners possible with MoCA 2.0.
5. Additional streams beyond the current 3 in Hopper whole home, meaning that 4 or more people in 6 or more rooms can simultaneously access tuners and recordings at the same time, easily supported with MoCA 2.0.

Stuff not likely, but would like to see in new Hopper:
1. Additional tuners native/built-in tuners in EACH new Hopper. 6 built-in sat tuners in a single new Hopper would be nice.
2. TWO OTA tuners USB dongle support.
3. Option for integrating all Hoppers and Super Joey into a SINGLE whole home DVR.
4. Separate module for adding additional tuners (perhaps 2 or 3 more) to existing Hoppers without need of a Super Joey.
5. Allow Dish App for Roku/FireTV other connected devices to pretty much function as a Joey with no additional charge, but limited to ONE user at a time. I think Comcast has something like this, and TiVo also released such an app with very few restrictions.
6. Apps for Amazon and YouTube (continuing the trend Dish started by offering the Netflix app).
7. Support for VoIP telephones Caller ID.

Last edited:
Why not move your land lines to VOIP like Ooma Office (or just a flat out Ooma box that allows for two lines on the same IAD)? It costs me a whole $4 and some change as they just charge what my area's taxes are per month. The initial fee for the box has been made up by the cost savings every month quite quickly. Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion about a rumored new Hopper. :)
This really is the secret people don't know about. People would indeed dump their land lines for Ooma. We are going on 4 years and have absolutely no regrets with Premiere ($10 per month) features that landlines charge too much money, and we get 2nd line and our FAX is supported, and additional phone numbers at only $5 per month and each family member has their own voicemail, etc. so we share nothing with others in the house. It is really so LOW COST it is mind blowing. Glad we dumped the land lines $137 per month but got LESS than with Ooma. Ooma app using WiFi. We have tablets, but NO smart phone because they and wireless companies want too much money. We use inexpensive but reliable, robust MVNO for far less than the lowest rate offered by any of the big wireless companies. Troch 77 should consider the alternatives if current costs trouble him from the TRADITIONAL model of services.

2. HDMI 2.0a
As UHD support seems unlikely, this would be a wasted effort.
3. Wallaby?: (coming to ALL Hoppers) Mirroring feature (able to mirror what is on ONE of your TV's to another TV or mobile device IN HOME LAN only.
How does this differ from slinging?
4. More tuners: specifically ability to install 2 Hoppers and one Super Joey for 8 sat tuners possible with MoCA 2.0.
I see this as unlikely. With all of the repeats of most popular cable shows, it seems pointless if you're only serving an average household.
5. Additional streams beyond the current 3 in Hopper whole home, meaning that 4 or more people in 6 or more rooms can simultaneously access tuners and recordings at the same time, easily supported with MoCA 2.0.
I suspect that there is a practical limit as to how many clients a DVR can drive with a possible mixture of HD and UHD content being sent out over the network.

The issue of all your eggs in one basket must not be dismissed.