New Hopper?

You can simply save all that content to an EHD or two and be done with it. You are not the average viewer..... I believe that the current Hopper HD size is optimial....

That requires buying an external hard drive. Also requires them to keep working. I had two EHDDs connected, but one recently crashed with a ton of movies on it. Now it isn't worth it to me to buy another because I'm sure it will just crash again at some point. Not to mention, that I honestly don't think about looking for content there (since you have to manually select the external drive). I don't think that many of us are the "average viewer". That said, I know several people who fill up their DVR. Most people who started with TIVOs back in the early DVR days had this method because the TIVO automatically filled up the extra space with their suggestions.

What is optimal about it? Seems like a strange word. Sufficient seems more appropriate with what you are saying. If it had a 2TB HDD would that be suboptimal for you? If so why?

You can do what I did. A couple of my EHDs are RAID. Not likely I'll lose both drives in a RAID together.

Reactions: ChadT41
I didn't want to bring that up , But a Friend of mine also had nothing but issues with his business using Ooma.
Mostly Fax issues.
I also had issues when I first got Ooma with fax but those have disappeared since I got a new All-In-One Printer to replace the Canon one I had previously. Not sure what all is different but the new Fax modem in it must be much more beefy as I haven't had a single fax issue since.

If you hook it up like the preferred diagram shows with it right after your modem and before your router it performs QoS automatically and my voice calls have been rock solid as well.

Why do you think that it will not be 4K capable?
Because there's no compelling reason to have a UHD capable DVR for this design cycle. It will be at least one lifecycle before UHD becomes a thing for DISH and the UHD Joey can deal with anything in the interim.

AT&T showed their hand with the HR54 and it isn't UHD capable (and they've been offering a smidgen of UHD content for months).

Because there's no compelling reason to have a UHD capable DVR for this design cycle. It will be at least one lifecycle before UHD becomes a thing for DISH and the UHD Joey can deal with anything in the interim.

AT&T showed their hand with the HR54 and it isn't UHD capable (and they've been offering a smidgen of UHD content for months).
What do you mean lifecycle?

I also had issues when I first got Ooma with fax but those have disappeared since I got a new All-In-One Printer to replace the Canon one I had previously. Not sure what all is different but the new Fax modem in it must be much more beefy as I haven't had a single fax issue since.

If you hook it up like the preferred diagram shows with it right after your modem and before your router it performs QoS automatically and my voice calls have been rock solid as well.
Well I already have a $2000 printer I'm not buying another one to find out its still buggy.
My land line a tax deduction, so it's not like it cost me anything anyway.

I must disagree as the tvs fade out, more people will have 4K. I'm guessing that after January 1st we will see more and more requests for 4K content.

I would think that the HR54 was probably in development long before Echosphere started working on the Hopper 3.

I must disagree as the tvs fade out, more people will have 4K. I'm guessing that after January 1st we will see more and more requests for 4K content.
As of January 1st, there still won't be substantial content to deliver that you can't obtain more conveniently and inexpensively through existing outlets so the point is moot (not just subjectively disagreeable).

As of January 1st, there still won't be substantial content to deliver that you can't obtain more conveniently and inexpensively through existing outlets so the point is moot (not just subjectively disagreeable).
The point is that once there are enough demand for 4K content, the first into the market will be the one to move forward. HD was a fad. The Internet was a fad. Now I don't think the 4K will take off as quickly as HD did, since there was government assistance with that push, but the cost of 4K is dropping drastically, daily, and more competitors equals more people buying the TVs for holidays.

You are correct that currently there is not enough content to justify it, yet, and it would be easier that the customer get it from another source now, but that isn't going to always be the case, and shows are now shooting in 4K for on demand. There was an article I read that Chicago Fire was 4K on demand. Not sure where, but I also do not follow 4K very well. Basically, more content providers are going to come to market, and likely in the next 12-24 months, which is still well within the "life-cycle" of the newest hopper, especially if it doesn't become available for another 6-9 months.

Have seen no indication of broadcast or cable channels getting there for at least two years.

Reactions: Troch77
Basically, more content providers are going to come to market, and likely in the next 12-24 months, which is still well within the "life-cycle" of the newest hopper, especially if it doesn't become available for another 6-9 months.
To be more content providers there would have to be one and there isn't one yet.

I don't know that KAB's 24 month number is right or wrong, but the active life cycle of a Hopper is probably isn't much longer than it will take to see linear HD content.

Have seen no indication of broadcast or cable channels getting there for at least two years.
Neither broadcasts 1080p either but TVs of that resolution are widespread. Blu Ray can't even take credit for that nor can online streaming, IMO. The manufacturers simply dictate it based on pushing something "new" (read: higher margin for them) to market.

Neither broadcasts 1080p either but TVs of that resolution are widespread. Blu Ray can't even take credit for that nor can online streaming, IMO. The manufacturers simply dictate it based on pushing something "new" (read: higher margin for them) to market.
I do agree with this as that is ultimately what is going on. Mike-D says he thinks 8K will be not very long, and I might agree, when people slow down buying 4K. When 4K becomes yesterday's news, is when we will see 8K.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
The take-away here is that TV capability doesn't drive programming resolution and that takes a big-ass chunk out of the argument that UHD programming is almost upon us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts