[NFL] 16 or 18 Games?

Should the NFL go to 18 games?

• Total voters
They should also go back to starting the season on Labor Day weekend. That's another week that has recently been added.

The NFL has done that in the past but decided the ratings were not good enough. Lots of people still out and about Labor Day weekend.

Sandra

On Sirius NFL, they were hinting of it now happening during President's Day Weekend. That way, some would be off work on Monday and it would make Super Bowl Sunday Parties even more successful. Me? I still have to work that Monday.
I don't get the day off, but the kids do. I could easily take a vacation day though, so I would actually be in favor of the Super Bowl being that weekend.

The NFL has done that in the past but decided the ratings were not good enough. Lots of people still out and about Labor Day weekend.

Sandra
I knew that was the reason why, but it hasn't stopped the NCAA from scheduling games that weekend, including Sunday & Monday.

With many school districts now starting in late August, Labor Day weekend travel has probably been reduced from what it used to be...

As a season ticket holder I want less preseason and more regular season.

They rip us fans off and charge FULL PRICE for preseason games.

And ...this is not meant toward you PERSONALLY...but ANYONE that pays FULL PRICE for a preseason game should be drug tested!

Would you pay FULL price for a car that states power windows, 6 speaker bose system, 6 CD player, 18 inch tires and chrome rims....and STATE it is a Mercedes...

....and get a Yugo where you have to roll down the windows, have ONLY a AM radio and tires small/big enough to put cream cheese on it and have it with your morning coffee...??!!:confused:

No offense, that isn't a rip off by the owners...that is the owners proving the ole saying, "there is a sucker born every minute...."

Sorry Yaz....:eek::(

And ...this is not meant toward you PERSONALLY...but ANYONE that pays FULL PRICE for a preseason game should be drug tested!

Would you pay FULL price for a car that states power windows, 6 speaker bose system, 6 CD player, 18 inch tires and chrome rims....and STATE it is a Mercedes...

....and get a Yugo where you have to roll down the windows, have ONLY a AM radio and tires small/big enough to put cream cheese on it and have it with your morning coffee...??!!:confused:

No offense, that isn't a rip off by the owners...that is the owners proving the ole saying, "there is a sucker born every minute...."

However, if your a Season Ticket holder, you have NO Choice as far as Pre Season game, they are part of the package.

I think it is very stupid that the owners get away with charging full price .... that said, who's gonna change it, Not the Owners and the players have nothing to do with it .... and you know that fans are not gonna (in mass) NOT GO at all.
It would be nice if you could work it out that NO ONE went, but it would never happen.

However, if your a Season Ticket holder, you have NO Choice as far as Pre Season game, they are part of the package.

I think it is very stupid that the owners get away with charging full price .... that said, who's gonna change it, Not the Owners and the players have nothing to do with it .... and you know that fans are not gonna (in mass) NOT GO at all.
It would be nice if you could work it out that NO ONE went, but it would never happen

Yeah. So very true.

You are an idiot! (Iggy is pointing at you today)

The games come in a package. If you don't want the preseason, you don't buy the regular season. You don't have a choice. The owners are ripping off the fans.

The first few Super Bowls were as early as the second Sunday in January:

XI - Jan. 9, 1977 - Rose Bowl, Pasadena 103,424
X - Jan. 18, 1976 - Orange Bowl, Miami 80,187
IX - Jan. 12, 1975 - Tulane Stadium, New Orleans 80,997
VIII - Jan. 13, 1974 - Rice Stadium, Houston 71,882
VII - Jan. 14, 1973 - Memorial Coliseum, Los Angeles 90,182
VI - Jan. 16, 1972 - Tulane Stadium, New Orleans 81,591
V - Jan. 17, 1971 - Orange Bowl, Miami 79,204
IV - Jan. 11, 1970 - Tulane Stadium, New Orleans 80,562
III - Jan. 12, 1969 - Orange Bowl, Miami 75,389
II - Jan. 14, 1968 - Orange Bowl, Miami 75,546
I - Jan. 15, 1967 - Memorial Coliseum, Los Angeles 61,946

I knew that, but I was born in 1974 so I don't remember any of those.:D

You are an idiot! The games come in a package. If you don't want the preseason, you don't buy the regular season. You don't have a choice. The owners are ripping off the fans.

Thank you for the "idiot" response. That is my opinion...you are understanbly upset because it is true.

The owners are getting away with it because the fans have allowed them to do it. It is that simple. Why do you think the owners want 18 games?

..in the end, it is ALL about money.

Thank you for the "idiot" response. That is my opinion...you are understanbly upset because it is true.

The owners are getting away with it because the fans have allowed them to do it. It is that simple. Why do you think the owners want 18 games?

..in the end, it is ALL about money.
:confused: You're really blaming the fans for "allowing them" to do it?? Wow. Hey, let's not get season tickets this year because the owners are screwing us!! Good luck with organizing that protest.

If they add 2 games to the regular season and end up taking away 2 preseason games, the $$ becomes a wash with full-price tickets, right??

The first few Super Bowls were as early as the second Sunday in January:

XI - Jan. 9, 1977 - Rose Bowl, Pasadena 103,424
X - Jan. 18, 1976 - Orange Bowl, Miami 80,187
IX - Jan. 12, 1975 - Tulane Stadium, New Orleans 80,997
VIII - Jan. 13, 1974 - Rice Stadium, Houston 71,882
VII - Jan. 14, 1973 - Memorial Coliseum, Los Angeles 90,182
VI - Jan. 16, 1972 - Tulane Stadium, New Orleans 81,591
V - Jan. 17, 1971 - Orange Bowl, Miami 79,204
IV - Jan. 11, 1970 - Tulane Stadium, New Orleans 80,562
III - Jan. 12, 1969 - Orange Bowl, Miami 75,389
II - Jan. 14, 1968 - Orange Bowl, Miami 75,546
I - Jan. 15, 1967 - Memorial Coliseum, Los Angeles 61,946

Unfortunately , the last 7 have been in Feb.
SB 13 started the push to later in the month as that was the first on after the 15th.
Then there were about 5 that were the 3rd w/e and then the rest were the last w/e of Jan, till the last 7 years when they decided to push it into Feb. .....

They go any later, it will be into SpeedWeeks and the Daytona 500, I doubt that they would actually have it on the same DAY as the Daytona 500, always the 3rd Sunday in Feb ( I believe).
You also have Baseball reporting as well as the Olympics every couple years.
Not to mention Sweeps Week in feb as well.

Unfortunately , the last 7 have been in Feb.
SB 13 started the push to later in the month as that was the first on after the 15th.
Then there were about 5 that were the 3rd w/e and then the rest were the last w/e of Jan, till the last 7 years when they decided to push it into Feb. .....

They go any later, it will be into SpeedWeeks and the Daytona 500, I doubt that they would actually have it on the same DAY as the Daytona 500, always the 3rd Sunday in Feb ( I believe).
You also have Baseball reporting as well as the Olympics every couple years.
Not to mention Sweeps Week in feb as well.

Second Sunday in Feb. ;)

:confused: You're really blaming the fans for "allowing them" to do it?? Wow. Hey, let's not get season tickets this year because the owners are screwing us!! Good luck with organizing that protest.

If they add 2 games to the regular season and end up taking away 2 preseason games, the $$ becomes a wash with full-price tickets, right??

:up

Yes

with an additional buy week

+1

Bigger Rosters, Liberal Use of a DL that players can return from.

I think the season would be about right stretching from the week after Labor Day to President's Day.

Perfect length.

As for conflicitng with other sports, sucks for the other sports. They will get crushed in the Ratings Game by the NFL post season. (keep in mind I'm a MLB guy through and through)

It would actually add to the appeal for me if the NFL elongated season negatively impacted NASCAR and the Daytona race.

Last edited:
They don't need addl. bye weeks, that just pushes it out even farther.

That makes it the 2nd or third weekend, are they still going to have the extra week between the playoffs and the SB ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)