[NFL] 16 or 18 Games?

Should the NFL go to 18 games?

• Total voters
They don't need addl. bye weeks, that just pushes it out even farther.

That makes it the 2nd or third weekend, are they still going to have the extra week between the playoffs and the SB ?
If they are going to add 2 games and a bye week to a season that they are adamant won't start until after Labor Day, it's simple math to figure we're looking at the last Sunday in February.

As for the "other sports", they were pissed when the NFL changed some playoff starts to primetime. Now, they'll be adding whole weekends!!

+1

Bigger Rosters, Liberal Use of a DL that players can return from.

I think the season would be about right stretching from the week after Labor Day to President's Day.

Perfect length.

As for conflicitng with other sports, sucks for the other sports. They will get crushed in the Ratings Game by the NFL post season. (keep in mind I'm a MLB guy through and through)

It would actually add to the appeal for me if the NFL elongated season negatively impacted NASCAR and the Daytona race.

Hows your World Series do against the NFL ?
The WS would get crushed .... fortunately the NFL has worked out a deal that they give the Sunday Night game a break when the WS conflicts.

If they are going to add 2 games and a bye week to a season that they are adamant won't start until after Labor Day, it's simple math to figure we're looking at the last Sunday in February.

As for the "other sports", they were pissed when the NFL changed some playoff starts to primetime. Now, they'll be adding whole weekends!!

As for the Daytona 500 and the SB, it won't happen that way, the SB will be at night and the Daytona 500 is one that starts at 1 pm, so a fan of both can watch the 500 and then tune into the last part of the SB Pregame show ... (that starts about the same time as the 500).

All this means is I won't be watching the SB at home anymore as I'll be on vacation by then.

The WS would get crushed .... fortunately the NFL has worked out a deal that they give the Sunday Night game a break when the WS conflicts.

MLB Wouldn't do well,

Not trying to imply otherwise.

NFL crushes everybody.

The Daytona 500 and NASCAR would be cannon fodder for them.

And yes even with the differing start times, Daytona 500 would be in serious trouble ratings wise if they tried to run it on a NFL Post season weekend.

This is going to happen(IMO) pretty easy to see from Goodell's Public Statements.

PA will use this to gain some leverage elsewhere.

Season startng Week after Labor Day runs for 20 Weeks with a double bye.

Ending on the Sunday of President's Day Weekend.

If this was in effect for the 2010-2011 season it would be as follows

Season Starts Sept 12th
Season Ends Jan 23rd
Playoff Weekends; Jan 29-30
" " Feb 5-6
" ' Feb 12-13
Super Bowl Feb 20
President's Day Feb 21

If they do this Goodell is already on record that the extra week off between the Confernce Championships and Super Bowl will go away.

Another plus in my mind. Just changes the Build up from obscenely overhyped to just moderately overhyped.

Last edited:
I think it's just going to add to more meaningless games at the end of the season. You already have teams not giving it their best after they've won their division or made the playoffs. Adding more games won't help this.

Only the first weekend. When a WS goes to a game 7, there is an NFL game on that Sunday night.

MLB Wouldn't do well,

Not trying to imply otherwise.

NFL crushes everybody.

The Daytona 500 and NASCAR would be cannon fodder for them.

And yes even with the differing start times, Daytona 500 would be in serious trouble ratings wise if they tried to run it on a NFL Post season weekend.

This is going to happen(IMO) pretty easy to see from Goodell's Public Statements.

PA will use this to gain some leverage elsewhere.

Season startng Week after Labor Day runs for 20 Weeks with a double bye.

Ending on the Sunday of President's Day Weekend.

If this was in effect for the 2010-2011 season it would be as follows

Season Starts Sept 12th
Season Ends Jan 23rd
Playoff Weekends; Jan 29-30
" " Feb 5-6
" ' Feb 12-13
Super Bowl Feb 20
President's Day Feb 21

If they do this Goodell is already on record that the extra week off between the Confernce Championships and Super Bowl will go away.

Another plus in my mind. Just changes the Build up from obscenely overhyped to just moderately overhyped.

The Daytona 500 won't be affected all that much.
Nascar has it's following , they will watch and then move on to the SB, the 500 would be MUCH better than the SB pregame garbage for10 hours.

So they are gonna go ahead and do this and NOT FIX anything.

IF they are gonna do this and push the SB all the way back to the end of Feb, the least they could do is MOVE it to a Saturday, so you don't have to get up and work the next day.

Do they really Presidents day accomplishes that ?
The ONLY ones with PD off are government and postal workers.
The rest of us WORK.

Only the first weekend. When a WS goes to a game 7, there is an NFL game on that Sunday night.

When the WS goes to a 7th game that is on a Sunday , the NFL never has a game on that night.

More than likely if you look at the upcoming schedule you'll see NO Sunday Night game for that day.

Interesting, the last 4-5 years they have NOT had a Sunday Night game then, this year I didn't see a opening.
Lets see if the NFL changes that if it's needed come playoff time.

Just make it 18 weeks with 2 pre season games

and those 2 extra games HAVE to be against a division opponent...hell make it back to back home and home like they do in the CFL.

Labour Day you have Edmonton-Calgary and Toronto-Hamilton and on FRIDAY NIGHT Eskies-Stamps is the rematch...yes 2 games in 5 days. Toronot/Hamilton is Saturday night

When the WS goes to a 7th game that is on a Sunday , the NFL never has a game on that night.

More than likely if you look at the upcoming schedule you'll see NO Sunday Night game for that day.

Interesting, the last 4-5 years they have NOT had a Sunday Night game then, this year I didn't see a opening.
Lets see if the NFL changes that if it's needed come playoff time.
Nope, you're wrong:

In its first four seasons of Sunday night coverage, NBC took one week off in late October or early November, so as not to conflict with Fox's coverage of the World Series. In 2006 NBC did not air a game on October 22, which was the set date for World Series Game 2, but a potential conflict still existed on October 29 had the series gone seven games (the conflict never arose, however, as the 2006 World Series ended in five games).

This season marks the first time the NFL is not taking a Sunday night off. They will go head to head against game 4 of the WS on October 31 (Steelers at Saints).

Nope, you're wrong:

This season marks the first time the NFL is not taking a Sunday night off. They will go head to head against game 4 of the WS on October 31 (Steelers at Saints).

For me the WS will win out.

Nope, you're wrong:

Yes, I was wrong, I thought after that first year, it was a regular thing.

That would be week 8 of the NFL season.

Saints and Steeler's is a HUGE draw .... I don't see the WS doing well in this game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts