NFL 2009-10 Season

Monday Morning QB: Week 1 with HD MM

1. Jake Delhomme earns the dud of the week award. Delhomme committed five turnovers and was 7-for-17 for 73 yards before being benched in the third quarter. The Panthers don't ask for much out of their QB. They rely heavily on the run and their defense. All they ask of their QB is to basically be a point guard. Distribute to the running backs, while limiting turnovers. Speaking of point guards, Greg Paulus could've done better than Jake on Sunday!

2. The stud of the week is a tie between Drew Brees and Adrian Peterson. Brees is a human video game. Peterson is a human highlight reel. That last run by AD with the multiple stiff arms was sick! Speaking of studs, did Sunday Night Football do away with their "Horse Trailer Player of the Game"? I know Madden is gone and Collinsworth took his place, but did Madden take the rights to that tradition along with him?

3. Rex Ryan is already working his magic with the Jets defense. Yesterday, Gang Green shut down the high potent Houston Texans offense. Steve Slayton was held to 17 yards rushing and Andre Johnson to 35 yards receiving. Kudos also goes out to Mark Sanchez for his first professional victory.

4. Those who scan the stat lines and look at Adrian Peterson's numbers will think he ran wild on the Browns yesterday (180 yds, 3 TD's). Well, that is only half true. In all fairness, the Browns defense played very well yesterday. For the first half that is. The Browns held AD to 25 yards rushing the entire 1st half. They also held Brett Favre to 54 yards passing in the 1st half. We were pressuring #4 for half the game with an aggressive defense that resulted in 4 sacks and countless hurries. Then there was the second half....

5. Speaking of the Browns and their Jekyll and Hyde ways, Mangini’s three year reputation in NY was one who builds a gameplan and veers not one iota from it on Sundays. This would typically result in a good first half and his Jets would be badly out executed in the second half due to a lack of halftime/in-game coaching adjustments. Let’s track this week to week, shall we?

6. One more note on the Browns. Terrible debut by Brady Quinn. If Mr. Dink and Dunk continues to turn the ball over, it negates any advantage he had over Derek Anderson. Efficiency was supposed to be his strength. Since this was only one game though against a superior opponent, it's unfair to be too harsh just yet on my assessments.

7. We're not even through week 1 yet and there have been 4 major injuries which could have major impacts. (Polamalu, McNabb, Urlacher and Anthony Gonzalez). Polamalu was victim of the Madden curse. Is Larry Fitzgerald next? I sure hope not. He's my pick for best WR in the league right now.

8. The NFL is a VERY bizarre world from week to week. Gunslinger, Jay Cutler gets traded to a superior team and loses in his debut en route to throwing 4 interceptions. Meanwhile, his replacement in Denver, Kyle "the Bottle" won his game in Denver. (Thanks mostly to Brandon Stokely's awareness).

9. What's gotten into the Ravens? Forever known for their dominating D and allegiance towards the run, on Sunday, Joe Flacco threw for 3 TD's and over 300 yards! If they can fine tune this facet of their game, they could be a VERY dangerous team.

10. What's up with Indy? I know they won and all. But they seemed to struggle with the mediocre Jags and in front of their own home crowd. I wonder how much of an impact the loss of Tony Dungy will have on them?

11. After watching the slug fest in Lambeau Field last night, I'm beginning to wonder if the NFC North isn't the best division in the NFL right now, ahead of even the NFC East? I know the North has the Lions. But the Vikings, Bears and Packers are three of the toughest looking teams out there right now. Question: has 3 teams from the same division ever made the playoffs in one year before? (2 Wild Cards + 1 Divisional Winner). Chicago now has Cutler, which should improve their offense. And both the Bears and the Packers defense has seemed to improve exponentially since last season. Lovie Smith has taken over on calling the shots for the Bears D. In Green Bay, they've hired Dom Capers and he's installed the 3-4 defense, which based on last night seems to be working rather effectively. Oh, then there's the Vikings who many are picking as the favorite to come out of that Division. Yikes!!

12. Looking forward to more games tonight. I do fear the Pats/Bills game is going to be another lopsided affair though. Sorry Buffalo. Tom and Randy are back! As for the Raiders and Chargers, I'm interested to see if the Chargers can build on last year. LT is getting older but with the growth Philip Rivers demonstrated last year, I don't think that's necessarily an issue. They'll simply become a pass to set up the run team instead of the other way around. As for the Raiders, well, they're at home so I suppose anything can happen. LOL.

13. And finally.... My Weekly "Brass Balls Award" goes to Mike McCarthy for approving the 50 yard pass on 3rd and 1 for the Packers. Aaron Rodgers looked out of sync all night, mostly in part due to the pass rush by Chicago, but on 3rd and 1 with time dwindling down, McCarthy gave the ok to go for a gutsy 50 yard strike which was perfectly executed by Rodgers and Greg Jennings. The result? A Packer win. This further cements my theme for the day: "no guts, no glory". Congrats Mr. McCarthy for winning this weeks Brass Balls Award!

....and that's all for this week. Happy Week 1 folks! :)

Last edited:
1. Jake Delhomme earns the dud of the week award. Delhomme committed five turnovers and was 7-for-17 for 73 yards before being benched in the third quarter. The Panthers don't ask for much out of their QB. They rely heavily on the run and their defense. All they ask of their QB is to basically be a point guard. Distribute to the running backs, while limiting turnovers. Speaking of point guards, Greg Paulus could've done better than Jake on Sunday!
Sadly I can't disagree with any of that. :(

Daze of our Lions (Road to XXXII edition)

Another dreadful season has started and here's "The Good, the bad, and the ugly"

THE GOOD:

At least New Orleans had to punt the ball a couple of times this season. And we held them to under 50 thanks to a NO holding penalty. (Much to the chagrin of a friend of mine who would have won the 4th quarter square if they had scored.)

THE BAD:

The running game, which was nowhere to be found.

THE UGLY:

The Detroit defense which was last seen on a milk carton. Drew Brees threw for 6 TD's, 26-34 for 358 yards.

Welcome to the NFL moment:

Stafford after being knocked down, reaches up not once, but twice, to NO players, neither of whom helped him up. Message sent.

THEY SAID IT, NOT ME DEPARTMENT:

Fox announcer Chris Myers on linebacker Larry Foote coming home to Detroit from Pittsburgh:
"That's like going from dating Beyonce to Whoopi Goldberg"

Detroit safety Louis Delmas on the defense:
"A couple of missed assignments. We weren't on the same page on a couple of plays."

Louis, you guys weren't even in the same book, let alone the same page. Just a couple of times? The scary part is that you're saying you guys only screwed up a couple of times. Are you implying that you guys were executing the rest of the plays properly. That's really scary!

And to think I thought they wouldn't give me anything funny to write about.

Despite the score, there were moments when we were in the game, and they do look better than last season. They were only down 14-0 before getting a first down, instead of the customary 20 pts. or more. I really can't see another defeated season.

NEXT WEEK:

The biannual loss to the Vikings, part one.

THE DETROIT LIONS - REBUILDING SINCE 1957!

Louis, you guys weren't even in the same book, let alone the same page. Just a couple of times? The scary part is that you're saying you guys only screwed up a couple of times. Are you implying that you guys were executing the rest of the plays properly. That's really scary!
LMAO! :D

As bad as my Panthers were yesterday, and IMO they outdid the Lions in ineptitude, it's nice to see the Lions still suck. Same for the Browns and hopefully the Raiders too. Just lets me know that there is some order in the world. :D If those teams start winning it'd be like watching the sun come up from the west.

Baltimore called a timeout, a long one too, multiple commercials, all that jazz, they came back, the Chiefs lined up, and had to call a timeout or there'd have been a delay of game on KC.

This was the scene on the sideline:

2dalnac.gif

Lol, I have to hand it to brodie, he looked sharp yesterday. Until the last possession he had them in a position to win. It is a shame, the kid has tons of talent, but his body wont hold up to the pounding he will take with no protection.

As bad as my Panthers were yesterday, and IMO they outdid the Lions in ineptitude, it's nice to see the Lions still suck. Same for the Browns and hopefully the Raiders too. Just lets me know that there is some order in the world. :D If those teams start winning it'd be like watching the sun come up from the west.

Glad that my misery is a source of comfort to you! I'm here to help!:D

:rant:

Lol, I have to hand it to brodie, he looked sharp yesterday. Until the last possession he had them in a position to win. It is a shame, the kid has tons of talent, but his body wont hold up to the pounding he will take with no protection.

Ya, it's crazy to think that with Cassel and Flowers playing, we might have won that game. I'm still surprised we ever led the game, let alone had it tied up with 2 minutes left.

Ya, it's crazy to think that with Cassel and Flowers playing, we might have won that game. I'm still surprised we ever led the game, let alone had it tied up with 2 minutes left.

As did I.

I had the Ravens in my Eliminator Pool! You could imagine I was sweating bullets over that one when I saw the close score! :)

I was suprised as well. I am used to turning it on and seeing it out of reach more or less. Or close, but with no hope of making up the difference.

Never really cared much for the chiefs until a couple of seasons ago, but I am a Croyle fan. It is a shame I will rarely get to see him play now. Like I said, tons of talent, injury prone though.

Another dreadful season has started and here's "The Good, the bad, and the ugly"

THE GOOD:

At least New Orleans had to punt the ball a couple of times this season. And we held them to under 50 thanks to a NO holding penalty. (Much to the chagrin of a friend of mine who would have won the 4th quarter square if they had scored.)

THE BAD:

The running game, which was nowhere to be found.

THE UGLY:

The Detroit defense which was last seen on a milk carton. Drew Brees threw for 6 TD's, 26-34 for 358 yards.

Welcome to the NFL moment:

Stafford after being knocked down, reaches up not once, but twice, to NO players, neither of whom helped him up. Message sent.

THEY SAID IT, NOT ME DEPARTMENT:

Fox announcer Chris Myers on linebacker Larry Foote coming home to Detroit from Pittsburgh:
"That's like going from dating Beyonce to Whoopi Goldberg"

Detroit safety Louis Delmas on the defense:
"A couple of missed assignments. We weren't on the same page on a couple of plays."

And to think I thought they wouldn't give me anything funny to write about.

Despite the score, there were moments when we were in the game, and they do look better than last season. They were only down 14-0 before getting a first down, instead of the customary 20 pts. or more. I really can't see another defeated season.

NEXT WEEK:

The biannual loss to the Vikings, part one.

THE DETROIT LIONS - REBUILDING SINCE 1957!
great stuff paul!!! :D:D

Garcia has landed with the Eagles again.

AJ Feely is now a Panther. They've put Luke McCown on IR after he was injured post-benching of Delhomme.

Note that with teams having played their week one games a lot of veterans will probably be signed to some teams (like Runyan) since if they're on the roster FOR the week 1 game their salary is guaranteed.

Edit: Urlacher to IR, officially done. Bears sign LB Tim Shaw to a 1 year deal.

Last edited:
Garcia has landed with the Eagles again.

AJ Feely is now a Panther. They've put Luke McCown on IR after he was injured post-benching of Delhomme.

Note that with teams having played their week one games a lot of veterans will probably be signed to some teams (like Runyan) since if they're on the roster FOR the week 1 game their salary is guaranteed.

Edit: Urlacher to IR, officially done. Bears sign LB Tim Shaw to a 1 year deal.
Great. The Eagles get the one guy who can play, and we get nothing. :mad: Why did the Raiders cut Garcia anyway? Oh yeah. They're the Raiders.

The Bills are beating NE. I hate this game. These clown uniforms are distracting. Besides the Patriots were a joke of a franchise when they wore those unis, and the Bills won 2 AFL titles in their throwbacks. If NE were wearing their regular unis they win by 30.

I started watching at the 3rd quarter, and am playing WoW and reading news as I get comfy here at home... not watching really closely, so im actually getting the teams mixed up... I associate the bills with red and blue... so these predominantly red jerseys are killing me.

I hate this game. These clown uniforms are distracting. Besides the Patriots were a joke of a franchise when they wore those unis, and the Bills won 2 AFL titles in their throwbacks. If NE were wearing their regular unis they win by 30.

Maybe if your Panthers wore the alternate aqua unis, they'd have won yesterday.

NCAA proposes tough taunting, concussion rules

Is it possible to watch MLB.TV on a TV?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)