NFL Network Dispute? -- Resolved

http://www.whatyoupayforsports.com/numbers/ These are for cable channels that broadcast sports as of June 2016 using SNL Kagan estimates. I didn't realize that ESPN has crossed the $7 per subscriber threshold. NFL Network is 3rd most expensive behind ESPN and TNT. And with only 8 exclusive games that aren't being simulcasted on CBS or NBC, I can see why Dish would say it's hard to justify the $1.40. The drop off after you get past FS1, TBS, and ESPN2 is pretty drastic for all the other channels that broadcast sports.
Yeah. NfL Network doesn't offer much for its ridiculous price. Football is very popular, however, there are three to four games shown on Sunday Afternoon, a Sunday Night Game, and a Monday Night Game. So six games available a week already. The NFL is squeezing every dime they can out of their league (non-profit) and is killing the viewers that would make AMC or Freeform say "Man... that is a lot of commercials."

Drop the channel period! If the NFL wants, sell it online and stop asking people who don't watch the channel to pay for it.

As a long suffering Buffalo Bills fan, I can't say I would miss the NFL Network. I get all of my team's games OTA in my regional market, plus all the ad nauseum coverage in local press and all the coverage on ESPN of national. So, I'm good. And the internets are full of football info. So, all I say is "meh" about this.

As a long suffering Buffalo Bills fan, I can't say I would miss the NFL Network. I get all of my team's games OTA in my regional market, plus all the ad nauseum coverage in local press and all the coverage on ESPN of national. So, I'm good. And the internets are full of football info. So, all I say is "meh" about this.
As a Cowboys fan, I'm in a similar boat. Most games are available to watch on locals, and the ones that are not are available at the bar. I can have a good meal, beer, spend time with fans, maybe a 2-3 games out of the season. With apps like Facebook, I honestly don't miss any major plays or excitement, and I still have the ESPN app on my IPhone that comes preloaded. Honestly, take the channel, fight the higher and higher sports prices, and give the people what they actually want, less lubeless Backdoor entry on cable bills.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
The other thing I found interesting about this dispute is it came out of nowhere. There were no attacks or "Call Dish because you could lose NFL Network in 3 days." So different than the Tribune dispute, which Tribune went public on a good 3-4 days before the expiring contract, putting up a website, and on WGN in Chicago, we had crawls at the bottom of the screen multiple times an hour asking to call in and tell Dish to keep WGN.

Reactions: reddice
If there is one channel I can turn on when nothing is on,NFL network is it.Think it's time to make a call.My old dish loyalty number no longer works,do they even have that anymore?

I'm noticing my local CBS removed their station from dish. I've been a Dish customer since around 2003/2004. I'm considering dropping them with no redzone and no CBS college football. Season is two months away.

I was contemplating ordering the multi-sports pack for Red zone. I guess Dish and the NFL Network made my decision for me.

Just my opinion, the NFL is seriously on the verge of pricing themselves out of existence as a league. They mandate how much in carriage agreements with CBS/FOX/NBC/ESPN? They want how much revenue per comercial? They start up their own channel, start putting their own content on said channel, deluding the content for CBS and FOX on Sundays. Do CBS and FOX get a discount? Now they are taking it to the content providers. Who else, other than ESPN and TNT get high penertration and high dollar amount per sub?

As much as I'm a football fan, especially the Patriots (isert your hate message here, as I do it with Montreal Canadiens and NY Yankee fans) I'm prepared to say screw that. Of course that's easier for me, as football isn't my favorite sport, Hockey is. But, if this was the NHL Network pulling this crap, I walked away from the NHL and Bruins (for the most part) and started attending games for a local AHL affiliate, during the last lockout. I'm going to spend my money where I see fit. That holds true, as i have increased the amount of games I go watch, even as the club was downgraded from AHL to ECHL. So, when greedy companies like the NFL, like Disney, and like all the rest price Dish/Directv/Comcast and every other provider out of my wallet, they'll get their's.

The NFL is a niche product. Yes, many people watch it, but when your network is 100% one topic, that's niche. Hence why A&E and AMC are just acronyms now. They decided to appeal to a mass audience, with a variety of content. In my opinion, niche channels, shouldn't get high subscriber penertration and demand $2.00 per subscriber at the same time, even niche channels that I enjoy and would prefer to have.

Multi-Sport pack? Are you guys kidding? This channel shows live NFL games during the season and is essential for any football fans, our country's #1 sport. They will not accept MultiSport placement nor should they. This is a dealbreaker for our household if not resolved by start of preseason.

Reactions: fadalpe
NFL Football Games are Holy. We must all pay for NFL Football games. There are only 8 exclusive games but we must all pay..

IDK?....Maybe its majority rules?....and you not happy being a minority?...

We all pay for tons of stuff we dont want....kinda silly only pointing ones out that dont float your boat?

IDK?....Maybe its majority rules?....and you not happy being a minority?...

We all pay for tons of stuff we dont want....kinda silly only pointing ones out that dont float your boat?
NFL channel is something I watch, and frequently even, however it should be in the multisport package. When they offer more than what is already offered by a handful of channels, and more than 8 games a year, they can be in a base package. That is why ESPN is not in the sports package(Justified by ESPN and customers), they have a deeper audience and they have a much more diverse lineup with different sports year round. It is a niche channel, and belongs in a niche package.

Many stations included in my Top 250 are "niche" channels. I wish they were in a niche package that I could avoid paying for. Comedy, music, shopping, diy, home and garden, cooking, travel, learning channels etc. etc. I fail to see how the NFL Channel is unique in that regard.

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)