NHL 2008-09 Season

I'm ready to go South, permanently. We just finished a sub-zero snap, and snowfall has already exceeded the annual rate for this winter. BRRRRR! I don't mind snow, I just want to live somewhere where I can play golf more often and it snows a whole lot less.
I am surprised how brutal winters are here in the Dallas area...on your health. We're rarely sick, but we're all under the weather and our 7-year old missed her first day of school (includes daycare through 1st grade, age 2-7), this week. Altough we enjoy the mild winter, this 35 one day and 75 the next is difficult to get used to. In fact, it was 35 this morning...and today is supposed to get up to 80 - winter coats one day, and golfers in shorts in my backyard the next.

Just to give the end of the regular season some perspective, this is what the playoff matchups look like at the All-Star Break:

Eastern Conference

(1) Boston (73 pts.) vs. (8) Carolina (51 pts.)

(2) Washington (63 pts.) vs. (7) Buffalo (53 pts.)

(3) New Jersey (61 pts.) vs. (6) Philadelphia (59 pts.)

(4) NY Rangers (60 pts.) vs. (5) Montreal (60 pts.)

I would replace Carolina with Pittsburgh, and maybe move some seedings around.

Western Conference

(1) San Jose (73 pts.) vs. (8) Vancouver (51 pts.)

(2) Detroit (68 pts.) vs. (7) Anaheim (51 pts.)

(3) Calgary (60 pts.) vs. (6) Edmonton (51 pts.)

(4) Chicago (58 pts.) vs. (5) Phoenix (53 pts.)

The bottom half of the West could change dramatically come April.

I am surprised how brutal winters are here in the Dallas area...on your health. We're rarely sick, but we're all under the weather and our 7-year old missed her first day of school (includes daycare through 1st grade, age 2-7), this week. Altough we enjoy the mild winter, this 35 one day and 75 the next is difficult to get used to. In fact, it was 35 this morning...and today is supposed to get up to 80 - winter coats one day, and golfers in shorts in my backyard the next.

You miss those Michigan winters?

BTW, what kind of "All star" game has no Red Wings playing?

You miss those Michigan winters?
I loved the actual "winter" part...you know, with snow, frozen ponds and ice skates, but the two-months of cold gray skies in the fall followed by two-months of cold gray skies in the spring...not to mention the brown slush and cold rain. I visit family every once in while during the winter. To be honest, I miss my family and I love following the Wings and taking in the local area hockey atmosphere (DC and Dallas hockey fans don't compare), but I've had my fill of winter after a week or so. Every couple years I consider moving the family up to Michigan so my little one can be close to family, but the crippled Michigan economy, coupled with my turning 46 this year, indicates this won't be happening anytime soon.

Wings aren't saying much. This may fall under the "phantom injury" box. With so many forward playing so weel, it will be hard to get playing time for him, anyhow. Five -20 goal scorers last year, five guys near the 20 goal mark right now.

All-star game no-shows by injured Lidstrom, Datsyuk results in one-game ban

WINDSOR, Ont. — Detroit Red Wings general manager Ken Holland won't ask injured stars Nick Lidstrom and Pavel Datsyuk to put in appearances at the NHL's All-Star Weekend in Montreal, even though the league announced Friday they'll be suspended for one game if they don't show up to support the festivities.

While the NHL doesn't expect them to play, they want all players named to the all-star game to attend nonetheless, so they can work the buffet circuit with advertisers and the media.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman will invoke a clause in the collective bargaining agreement that states unless a player misses the game before the all-star break or the game after, he will be suspended for a game for not showing up, even if he doesn't play.

"I'm not going to call Nick and tell him he's got to go to Montreal to sit and talk with the media for a day," said a fiery Holland, who is upset with the NHL's treatment of Lidstrom on this issue.

"Imagine me calling Nick, a six-time Norris Trophy winner, four-time Stanley Cup winner and someone who has gone to the last 10 all-star games and telling him he can't spend the time with his four boys and wife.

"I have too much respect for Nick because I know he's playing in pain. He's shown up at every NHL awards show he's been nominated for. He's done everything the league has asked him to do.

"He's put in his time and he's paid his dues. I'm backing my player because I know he's hurt."

Holland said Lidstrom came to him Monday to tell him the tendinitis in his right elbow was flaring up. The Wings' captain had a MRI done Wednesday and Holland said they found a small tear.

Wings GM blasts Bettman for suspending Detroit stars

Well if Sid can go to the All-Star game and participate in the festivities, while injured, then the Red Wings players can also.

But since they play for the Red Wings they think they don't have to follow the rules, well I'm glad Bettman is doing this, it's in the rules, so it's not like he's just making up the rules as he goes.

Last edited:
No biggy for me. I doesn't even surprise me. I' ll just put it in the same file as "NHL officiating". No rhyme or reason there either. Besides those two can use some rest. Datsyuk has been playing on another level ahead of the league for the past month, and Lidstrom, well he has been on another level above the league for pretty much his whole career. A day off? Thank you. I'm sure these guys wouldn't have begged out of the line-up for a Wings game even if they had bones sticking out.

Well, this was an entertaining competition.

Chara broke Iafrate's hardest shot record, two guys went 4-for-4 in accuracy.

However, one thing annoyed me- of all the guys in the "Elimination" competition (you have to score or you're eliminated), the winner was Shane Doan.

Shane freaking Doan, maybe the least talented of all the All-Stars, a guy who only made it because of the "every team must have one representative" rule.

...and I thought I couldn't feel any sicker!!!

Wings GM blasts Bettman for suspending Detroit stars

Well if Sid can go to the All-Star game and participate in the festivities, while injured, then the Red Wings players can also.

But since they play for the Red Wings they think they don't have to follow the rules, well I'm glad Bettman is doing this, it's in the rules, so it's not like he's just making up the rules as he goes.
Believe it or not, I agree in principle with that talking Assbag Bettman---a man who almost single-handedly destroyed the NHL---on this issue: an injured player should attend and participate in the All-Star game activities, if possible. But apparently A. Bettman possesses no leadership qualities nor the authority to waive his own policies. Let's face facts...Nicholas Lindstrom has been nothing short of an Ambassador of Goodwill for the NHL during his career, and I am sure he would gladly attend if he felt it wasn't detrimental to his team. A. Bettman probably would have required Wayne Gretzky be wheeled-out in a full body cast for the All-Star photo op if he were injured back in his prime. I am not saying Bettman is completely wrong on this issue, but the man is tactless and clueless when it comes to running the NHL..and he has very little credibility with most hockey fans. What a Doosh!

If you ask my opinion, Ken Holland should be the NHL Commissioner!

Believe it or not, I agree in principle with that talking Assbag Bettman---a man who almost single-handedly destroyed the NHL---on this issue: an injured player should attend and participate in the All-Star game activities, if possible. But apparently A. Bettman possesses no leadership qualities nor the authority to waive his own policies. Let's face facts...Nicholas Lindstrom has been nothing short of an Ambassador of Goodwill for the NHL during his career, and I am sure he would gladly attend if he felt it wasn't detrimental to his team. A. Bettman probably would have required Wayne Gretzky be wheeled-out in a full body cast for the All-Star photo op if he were injured back in his prime. I am not saying Bettman is completely wrong on this issue, but the man is tactless and clueless when it comes to running the NHL..and he has very little credibility with most hockey fans. What a Doosh!

He's still better than Selig in my book.

When the 2003 NHL All-Star Game was tied after regulation and overtime, Bettman did NOT have a tie.

We all remember what happened in the 2002 MLB All-Star Game.

I second the motion, he does more to help the game of hockey, than anyone I know

Hold your horses there guys. We got a few more championships to win first. The league can have after he turns 70.

Wait a minute don't give the NHL any ideas.
Detroit needs to keep Kenny as long as they can.
Now their success is not all Ken's they have a very good scouting force if you want to see what poor scouting /minor league teams do for team look no farther than the Cincinnati Reds but we still need Ken.

Buffalo is laying an ASS-WHOOPING on the Oilers.

Let me make it official: Edmonton's run to the 2006 Stanley Cup Final was the biggest fluke in hockey history.

Oh, and Buffalo would have destroyed Edmonton IF they had gotten by those blasted Hurricanes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)