NHL Center ICE and know nothing CSRs

wolfjc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Cincinnati
I called Dish yesterday 9/18 to try and find out about Center Ice, like price ect, since I could not find anything on the Dish site.
The poor CSR I talked to told me that the NHL season starts in January.
I told her that that's when it started last year because of the lockout.
But she had NO IDEA what I was talking about.
I did however get the sports package for half price $5.50.
Then today 9/19 I got in the mail a letter from Dish telling me all about the Center Ice package.
It is $156.69.

Only problem with CI is that it is only for out of market teams. Here in WNY Buffalo is on MSG so we are blacked out on all Buffalo games that are carried on MSG. I wish Dish and MSG would get off their duffs abd get a carriage agreement. I got a sweet deal from TWC last year and am paying only about $20 more than internet alone for basic digital cable with a dvr and a 2nd cable box. That will cover me for this eason, but after that, I can't afford to pay the full price after that.

Psst wolfjc

...... come here, a little closer I got some advice.....

DON'T ASK THE PHONE CSR'S ANY QUESTIONS.
USE DIRT.

NHL Center Ice will be available to order on 9/20. Early Bird pricing of $159.96 or 4 payments of $39.99 will be available until 10/31/13. Regular Season pricing will be $167.96 or 4 payments of $41.99.

Only problem with CI is that it is only for out of market teams. Here in WNY Buffalo is on MSG so we are blacked out on all Buffalo games that are carried on MSG. I wish Dish and MSG would get off their duffs abd get a carriage agreement. I got a sweet deal from TWC last year and am paying only about $20 more than internet alone for basic digital cable with a dvr and a 2nd cable box. That will cover me for this eason, but after that, I can't afford to pay the full price after that.

I'm looking at DirecTv to get MSG and I don't like the extra equipment fees. I should call TWC and see what they can do as we'll since their website isn't the easiest to use.

I like Dish a lot but miss the Sabres games on TV. I would be fine with the $3 surcharge ala DirecTv just to get MSG and keep everything I have as is with Dish.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The early bird price isn't much of an early bird price. C'est la vie. Course, my buying point would have been about $100 anyway. Never going to be that low.

Doesn't the online version have the local market teams on delay? If so, you could always go that route and watch your home team the next day or so. Better than having two pay-tv services or missing your games completely. But honestly, I can't believe that anyone who lives in the New York market and is a sports fan, subs to Dish in the first place.

To defend the frontline CSRs, that information was just made available. The CSR you talked to would not have access to that information. So while they didn't know about this, it's exceedingly rude to call them "know nothing". I agree that DIRT is awesome, and honestly, it's probably best that most folks here don't call in and abuse/yell at the CSRs. Some of the people are are incredibly knowledgeable, and I have learned a lot here about unusual setups, but a lot of people here really act like a-holes when it comes to Dish service.

I'm not always easy on the frontline CSRs, but really...if they have not been given that info, what do you expect them to do?

The CSR you talked to would not have access to that information. So while they didn't know about this, it's exceedingly rude to call them "know nothing".
I dunno, I think it's deserved. It's one thing to say you don't know or don't have any information yet, but to make things up..."starts in January"...is just asking for it.

I'm not always easy on the frontline CSRs, but really...if they have not been given that info, what do you expect them to do?

?How about not lie or make things up? :)

Sounds to me their system was still showing last years pricing and information. That is a Dish problem not a CSR problem. Don't be so quick to "assume" they were making something up when they were simply looking at the information available to them at that time of the phone call.

Sounds to me their system was still showing last years pricing and information. That is a Dish problem not a CSR problem. Don't be so quick to "assume" they were making something up when they were simply looking at the information available to them at that time of the phone call.
Good point, I didn't consider that.

Doesn't the online version have the local market teams on delay? If so, you could always go that route and watch your home team the next day or so. Better than having two pay-tv services or missing your games completely. But honestly, I can't believe that anyone who lives in the New York market and is a sports fan, subs to Dish in the first place.

Respectfully, your comments are easier said than done in many cases. Rural customers have challenges and very few want to watch sporting events on delays. Also, many in rural areas have no access to high speed Internet without very expensive data caps, no cable TV, no DSL, no LOS for DirecTV, for certain sats, etc. I'm one of these Dish customers. (Poor me) It's Eastern Arc or OTA for me or nothing. Sabres games are not carried OTA.

My only option is to get NHLCI and 'move' just so I can get the SD MSG Buffalo feed or the opposing team feed, HD or SD, if available on CI.

Which even more would say don't bother with the phone CSR's. :)
Agreed. There is a reason I PM'd DIRT and didn't call Dish. If DIRT didn't know then CSR sure the heck wouldn't... though that may not necessarily stop them from telling me something that may not have been accurate. DIRT is a "tad" bit more reliable. ;)

NHL Center Ice will be available to order on 9/20. Early Bird pricing of $159.96 or 4 payments of $39.99 will be available until 10/31/13. Regular Season pricing will be $167.96 or 4 payments of $41.99.

The letter that I got from Dish quoted the $159.96 as the price but when I checked the menu 6.4(purchases) it said $156.96 which is correct.
It's not a big deal only $3 but I am just wondering.

I was on auto renew with Dish NHLCI for a few years and then last year with the lock out I decided to try NHL GameCenter Live streaming through my Roku. I could not have been more satisfied with the quality of the broadcasts, both home and away. Auto renewed this year again and I believe their early bird price was $149.99.
https://gamecenter.nhl.com/nhlgc/secure/gclsignup

Last edited:
I was on auto renew with Dish NHLCI for a few years and then last year with the lock out I decided to try NHL GameCenter Live streaming through my Roku. I could not have been more satisfied with the quality of the broadcasts, both home and away. Auto renewed this year again and I believe their early bird price was $149.99.
https://gamecenter.nhl.com/nhlgc/secure/gclsignup
And I guess they also give you an extra 10% off if you use a Discover credit card which would bring the price down to $135.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)