No broadband with hopper

john4cars

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Montana, USA
I recently upgraded from the dish 722 to the hopper. My 722 was hard wired with eithernet cable to the router with no problems. Now with the hopper when I try to access Blockbuster or Dish on demand it says I have no broadband connection. When I go to settings, network and do the tests they all show broadband connection. When I go to broadband it shows my DHCP as OK, server failed, internet failed. It does show proper ip addresses. Dish technical support has walked me through several tests and even replaced the hopper. They have sent techs out and they can't figure it out either. I have tried All the ports in my router even the one the computer is pluged into. I have reset both the hopper and dthe router. All to no avail. Again it looks like I have broadband but I really don't. Any suggestions?

I've had it since 11/25 and this is the second hopper, the first one was replaced by Dish 4 days ago in hopes of fixing the problem. No such luck.

Sorry just getting used to this forum. I've had it since 11/25 and this is the second hopper, the first one was replaced by Dish 4 days ago in hopes of fixing the problem. No such luck.

My broadband stopped working in the past couple days, seemed to coincide with the s234 update. My Hoppers have similar behaviors. PPV screen says No Connection. DHCP=OK, Server and Internet=Fail. I can go to the Network Setup -> Test and test and send system information. On this test page broadband is listed as connected.

I do not think the problem is on our end. Every other wired and wireless internet device in the house work OK, just not the Hopper.

Thanks, sounds like the same type of problem. If the updates are done by broadband and the broadband isn't working, or says it isn't, how do you get software updates?

Thanks, sounds like the same type of problem. If the updates are done by broadband and the broadband isn't working, or says it isn't, how do you get software updates?

Updates are via the satellite. Broadband is not necessary for basic system functionality. Broadband is necessary for PPV and some system diagnostics and viewing data.

If you go to the on demand screen, watch the info section at the top of the screen for orange font. It should say something to the effect of "no connection, press * to refresh connection". Ive seen this problem from time to time on my home system when my router resets.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using SatelliteGuys

An interesting new twist. I checked my dish account online and it shows I have broadband connected but I still can't access dish on demand or blockbuster or any other broadband services.

An interesting new twist. I checked my dish account online and it shows I have broadband connected but I still can't access dish on demand or blockbuster or any other broadband services.

My Equipment shows they are connected too, but access to any PPV or On Demand is not possible because the receiver says it's not connected. But, the same receivers pass the connection test to Broadband and will successfully Sent Data.

The problem is not us.

My Equipment shows they are connected too, but access to any PPV or On Demand is not possible because the receiver says it's not connected. But, the same receivers pass the connection test to Broadband and will successfully Sent Data.

The problem is not us.

Are you seeing the 145 message or 789 message when you try to order a PPV?

I get the 789 Attention message.

This may or may not help...but try going to the BB menu and reset connection. Once done and you see 3 green oks, save and exit then press and hold the reset button on the front till it reboots. After that try to order another PPV/vod. If that still doesn't work then you could take the Hopper IP address from the bb menu and add it to the DMZ list on your router and then reboot and try again after verifying the be test passes. I know multiple people are seeing this same issue but if you have time and know how to navigate your router settings then it may be worth a try.

This may or may not help...but try going to the BB menu and reset connection. Once done and you see 3 green oks, save and exit then press and hold the reset button on the front till it reboots. After that try to order another PPV/vod. If that still doesn't work then you could take the Hopper IP address from the bb menu and add it to the DMZ list on your router and then reboot and try again after verifying the be test passes. I know multiple people are seeing this same issue but if you have time and know how to navigate your router settings then it may be worth a try.

I'm no big networking guru, but I added the following to my router settings;

Current DMZ Status: Enabled
Current DMZ Host IP Address: 192.168.254.6 (that's my hard-wired Hopper)

Rebooted Hopper, reset connection and network and nothing changed.

I hate to make assumptions, then run on to conclusions... But the Hopper has a connection to the Internet, this is known because MyDish account says I have a Broadband Connection on all devices, and the test screen shows a Broadband connection, and the receiver is able to successfully send test results data to someplace. I can access the receivers and delete recordings remotely via the android app.

It looks like DISH broke something along the way.

Hopper Connection.jpg

Before you put a device in the DMZ you need to assign it a static or permanent IP on your LAN again using your router. Set the IP you assign outside the range your DHCP server uses.

If you don't do this then everytime your device reboots or your router is rebooted it is likely to get a new and randomly assigned LAN IP and therefore no telling what its IP will be and whatever device gets 192.168.254.6 will be in the DMZ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts