No broadband with hopper

Thank you for reporting back. You have provided an important bit of information.

i would like to add another twist to this hopper broadband problem, i too have limited connectivity,just the same as described here. No blockbuster or ppv, however i can stream pandora or open the nbc apps, but cant get account info, etc so i checked my dmz in my router which is a linksys wrt54gs2, its already disabled, so where to go from here???? what next, any suggestions? so far the hopper has been a flopper, i reset my hopper about 3-4 times a week for blank screens or froze or slow menus etc, and i have only had it about 3 weeks, :rant:

I had mine disappear, yesterday. What I found was I did not have anything on the LAN line from the ports on the back of my wifi router. Rebooting the router fixed that and broadband returned. I checked the feed into the hopper with a webbook to prove the line was ok and found it was not. WiFi was find during all this time, but I do not have wifi on the hopper.

my broadband has been out for over a week now, i talked to techline at dish and they determined that the s234 was installed just about the same days as i noticed my broadband beind inop, i have tried both wireless and ethernet cable but still have exactly the same limited access. i have been through the reset procedure with my internet provider which is Windstream, they reset my modem and reset my password, but still no avail. Also have reset the hopper several times with no change, also i took my usb wireless that came with my hopper and plugged it into my joey, i get the same result with the joey reciever, so in conclusion, i really feal like its a bug in the s234. But may also be remedied by changing something in my router/modem setup, but i don't know what to change, as i said in my previous post, the DMZ was already disabled in my router. Also the tech i talked with the last time at dish broadband help said he was sending this to the engineering dept. for further review, DISHNETWORK, please realize this is causing alot of customers a huge problem with their service

UPDATE, i found a firmware upgrade for my linksys router wrt54gs v1, after downloading the firmware, then resetting with the reset button in the rear and resetting the hopper, i now have wireless broadband.

update again, every morning so far, i get up and the broadband connection is failed again, yesterday i was able to reset the router, and then i was connected again, however, today i cannot get it to reconnect. I am getting very frustrated with this, i would really appreciate a permanent fix, whether it be from Dish or Linksys or even Windstream,

This may be way off but to me it sounds like the connection is timing out after a period of inactivity. I remember hearing about this with ATT and Windstream/Frontier customers due to the routers they were using and the fact that the router didn't support UPNP.(Motorola NVG510, 2 wire products are the ones I remember specifically) I'm sure some people here will argue with me about this point, but I do remember hearing about issues just like what you are seeing. I also remember reading that what normally fixed the issue would be a combination of the following things.

1. Enable UPNP (if possible)
2. Add the receivers IP address into the DMZ list on your router

For whatever reason, I think the receiver is being detected by the network as a 3rd party device and not a linux box, therefore after X amount of time the connection is being disabled or stopping between the router and the receiver for security reasons. Enabling UPNP or adding to the DMZ list I believe should correct the issue.

Last edited:
Ok definately want to try this however my DMZ is disabled normally, so is it ok to enable this, also I am certain that upnp is already enabled, when I get home from work I will give this forum an update

Ok definately want to try this however my DMZ is disabled normally, so is it ok to enable this, also I am certain that upnp is already enabled, when I get home from work I will give this forum an update

I believe the DMZ list basically bypasses the need for UPNP. If the Hopper's ip address is in the DMZ list then it should have a direct connection to the internet. I would try the DMZ with UPNP enabled and disabled and hopefully one combination will work.

ok heres the latest and greatest, i enabled DMZ and added my ip for the hopper, i left the upnp enabled, i have full connection for now, but we will see in the morning when i let it idle over night, thanks for all the help here from this forum and its members. My fingers are crossed:popcorn

I've had the exact same problem since last firmware update. DHCP Acquired: OK but failed Server and Internet Connection. I've added my hopper to DMZ, reset it numerous times, reset router and modem but nothing. It used to work just fine until last update. If I run a test, it says Broadband Connection OK. I can even ping my Hopper from my router configuration page without loss of packets. This sucks big time.

Mine showed one green ok this afternoon so I reset connection and network via the broadband menu and then gave it a minute after it completed and it went from one green ok to three green oks. If it doesn't change after that you could try switching between Moca and ethernet/Wifi and see if it changes the internet status. Hopefully it stats working for you.

Mine showed one green ok this afternoon so I reset connection and network via the broadband menu and then gave it a minute after it completed and it went from one green ok to three green oks. If it doesn't change after that you could try switching between Moca and ethernet/Wifi and see if it changes the internet status. Hopefully it stats working for you.

Already did that. Mine is connected through Ethernet.

worked good for one day, yesterday i tried all day to get internet back but could not anyway, anyhow get it to get full connection, i tried the dmz with and without upnp, also removed my security from my wireless, and even reloaded my software and set up my router all over again, no luck, we need s235!!!!

ok, i am ready to try something else, cause this really sucks, not having full internet connection through my hopper, is there anything else i can do

if the hopper wasnt designed to do internet, or if it was an additonal fee to acces the web, then maybe i could live without it, but thats part of the deal when you sign the contract with dish is that you get a reciever that will access the internet and you can stream movies, and you have an app called game finder thats awesome,if the internet works on your hopper. So i say, Dish needs to fix my problems with this Hopper flopper, including the fact that it locks up 3-4 times a week and i get blank screens a couple times a week.

Maybe since your Hopper is not only having Internet connection problems but blank screens and locks ups the issue is just a faulty receiver or its going bad and needs to be replaced. There are a lot of people on S234 that do not have these broadband issues or lock ups and black screens. I would consider a replacement if you haven't already.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)