No broadband with hopper

My Hoppers are mild mannered and operate(d) the way they should, until s234 came around roughly coincident with my Internet issues. I should have said I've learned to accept it not working until DISH fixes something.

How about this, list your ISP and equuipment.

Me: Windstream DSL with a Speedstream 4200(?) modem.

I have 2 Hoppers/1 Joey and an SMC router combo unit from Comcast and I get between 25-40mbs hard wired and around 15-20 mbs dowbn on Wifi usually. My Hoppers are both hard wired and I have Bridging enabled on one Hopper to share the full connection with my Joey.

I can tell you that I remember issues with Windstream/Frontier and ATT in the past regarding connectivity issues due to the routers they issue and having to do with DMZ/UPNP. Since yours worked up until recently I'm guessing that doesn't have anything to do with it but that just came to mind.

this system is only 3 weeks old, so i would be happy if dish would just send me a new reciever, i went through their troubleshooters on tech assistance with dish, but no help.. the guy on tech assistance said that he would elevate this case to engineering because it looks like the bb stopped about the same time the s234 went in, so now what, seems to me like there is a compatibility issue with the software between the hoppper and the router, i would be glad to just replace the router, if they will fix it, or if dish would send me a new hopper that would be fine too. i feel like they aint really gonna do anything.

How about this curiosity; Why does the Hopper (or how can any device) be connected to the internet and provide for connectivity to support two way communication, yet refuse some applications. This (two way com) is verified by the Hoppers being seen from the MyDISH sight, Android DVR management works, etc. But, the apps and functions on the Hopper that need the Internet think it's not connected. The outside world doesn't have a problem seeing the connection, it's just the Hoppers seeing out for some user functions.

Last edited:
Can you go into more detail about whats not working and what error messages you see if any. If you already posted and I missed it, sorry. Can you see your DVR recordings via DishOnline or the Android DRA app? Are you able to set timers and manage your recordings online?

ok heres the latest, i just got done with about 2 hours or diag with tech assistance, heres what i got so far, all three ports 80 443 and 5678 are showing closed, i have tried several times to forward these ports in my router with no success, and i need to know how to setup a statip address for the hopper

I don't think anything needs to be done. The Hopper should recognize the connection and work because it knows no difference and should function the same. So I would assume your ISP should be able to help you set up a static ip.

i forgot to list my hardware, windstream dsl, 4300 sagemcom modem, with linksys wrt54gs2 router, 1 hopper 2 joeys

i forgot to list my hardware, windstream dsl, 4300 sagemcom modem

That's my setup with the hopper (x2) connected through a simple 10/100 switch.

I can delete and set recordings via android app, Mydish shows all my equipment broadband connected.

I tried testing all 3 ports 80 443 &5678 with an online port tester and they all report to be closed. I don't believe this to be completely true, I read somewhere last night that 80 is used for http, which leads me to believe that if 80 were closed then my browser wouldn't work on my pc, someone chime in here to clear this up, also 443 is used for https

I tried testing all 3 ports 80 443 &5678 with an online port tester and they all report to be closed. I don't believe this to be completely true, I read somewhere last night that 80 is used for http, which leads me to believe that if 80 were closed then my browser wouldn't work on my pc, someone chime in here to clear this up, also 443 is used for https

Try to disable windows firewall or any other third party firewalls installed. These can be AVG, Symantec, Macaffe, Zone alarm... Etc. Hopefully that helps.

ok heres the latest, i just got done with about 2 hours or diag with tech assistance, heres what i got so far, all three ports 80 443 and 5678 are showing closed, i have tried several times to forward these ports in my router with no success, and i need to know how to setup a statip address for the hopper

This may help with setting up the static IP.

http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

i do run avg, so i will try this, what if i were to bypass the router all together and just run my modem through ethernet directly to the hopper, would this bypass all my router and port issues allowing for a direct connection to the internet???? that way i will know if i have a hopper issue or a router issue,

i do run avg, so i will try this, what if i were to bypass the router all together and just run my modem through ethernet directly to the hopper, would this bypass all my router and port issues allowing for a direct connection to the internet???? that way i will know if i have a hopper issue or a router issue,

I believe it would but I'm no network guru by any stretch of the word. You could always try it and see what happens.

thanks for the port forward link, i believe that i did actually perform the steps properly, the only thing is that i was unsure how to set the ip address for the hopper to static, dish told me it had to be dhcp. also i tried the connection last night directly to my modem and i got the same result, dhcp ok, internet connetion failed and server connection failed, but i dont know for sure that this is a good test, and that i would properly connect by this method anyway. maybe someone else could advise on this connection method???

OK, I said I would get back to all of you and it's been a week now and my broadband is still working perfectly. I'm sorry to see so many more of you having trouble just in this past week. If you want to see what I had to do my last post was on page 7. I am using a Sagemcom SE567 router and the service is through Frontier. Good luck to all of you. The hopper will work It's just a matter of finding the right tech person and fixing the strange quirks that seem to be inherent in this system. I still think Dish has some software issues with it. It took me several weeks, a replacement hopper, at least 5 calls to dish support with different techs, two live chats with dish support and three different techs with Frontier before I was able to get mine working. Hang in there.

Hi, I've been following this thread for some time now because you all seem to be in the same mess I'm in with getting broadband on the hopper. I've been through all the crap that Dish told to do, as well as the stuff I've been reading here and I still can't get anything. When I first got the hopper I got broadband right away just by plugging in my ethernet cable to the back, but something happened since then and it stopped. From what I've read here I'm going to assume (yes, I know what happens when we assume) that it was the update that everyone has spoken of. When I noticed the BB wasn't working, I tired a few things around here, such as switching wires, resetting modems, etc. I still couldn't get it to work so I called Dish and spent about an hour trying all of his suggestions. I opened ports, turned off firewalls, set my UpNP to 1492 -- still nothing. Eventually, (about the 3rd time on the phone with Dish) they told me they could send out another hopper. I was reluctant at first because I didn't want to lose my recorded shows, but the more I dwelled on the issue, the more irritated I got and finally decided to switch out units, only to have that not work either. I didn't think it would bother me so much not to have it working, but it's becoming an obsession with me. I constantly keep trying anything I can. Enabling, disabling, changing wires, resetting, etc. Nothing. Everything else in this house that uses internet works just fine with the exception of the hopper.

I have Windstream with a 4300 modem, a Cisco M20 router. I have a Roku, a Wii, a netbook, a blu-ray (hardwired right next to the hopper), my printer is wireless, even my cell phone works through wi-fi. As I said, everything else works fine. Everything but the hopper. (Which is hard-wired, by the way.)

I've tried wiring the hopper straight to the modem, but that didn't work.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to hopefully get all the information in there. I'm really hoping someone comes up with some kind of magic fix.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts