No HD Locals in my area......waivers/distant feed questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

livinglighthouse@yahoo.co

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
I am #130 on the list of markets for HD locals. So basically I have no hope for quite some time to get local HD channels.

I currently have an OTA that gets HD locals MAYBE 50% of the time. I live in a highly treed area and at night........forgetaboutit.

So, what are my options.......I checked antennaweb.org and my towers are anywhere from 9-88 miles away. For all the good that does, since I can't get a signal for several channels.

Can I qualify for distant HD feeds, do I need a waiver (what are the chances of getting one with my mileage from the towers) or what other ideas do folks have..........

Thanks in advance
Rachel

Go here Enter Address and enter your address, it will tell you what eligibility you have for distant networks....

i mean you can always put a waiver request in.......just don't hold your breath! before we got hd locals, i was able to get a waiver from fox because its o&o in orlando, but no luck with the other 3!

or what other ideas do folks have..........

Have you considering "moving" your account into an HD market?

Do a search on moving & you'll find all kinds of tips/tricks on what/how to do this.

(You'll also see several posts of people telling us "movers" we'll burn in hell for such dishonesty - you'll have to make your own judgment call on that... :rolleyes: :D )

Have you considering "moving" your account into an HD market?

Do a search on moving & you'll find all kinds of tips/tricks on what/how to do this.

(You'll also see several posts of people telling us "movers" we'll burn in hell for such dishonesty - you'll have to make your own judgment call on that... :rolleyes: :D )

Nah, God is a Red Sox fan so He understands the Boston only zip code limitation applied to the rest of NESN territory. He also thinks its ridiculous even though the spotbeam covers the region.

Here is a rule of thumb about moving. It is definately not to be taken as an exact science or what you should do. You take all risks of moving when you do so.

1. Determine your current DMA and size. If its somewhere around 50, you will be getting HD locals sooner rather than later. What date, we dont know but the larger markets are more likely to get HD locals when D10 lights up. That being said, most new markets will not be going live until D11 is operational next year.

2. If you are in a scenario where your DMA is not in the top 50 or so, then determine if OTA is an option. You can determine your location and channels at antennaweb.org.

3. If you cant get OTA and your market will be a long way out, determine the closest major market to you. For example, I am in the Hartford DMA but physically only 90 miles from both New York City and Boston. So the likelihood of spotbeam overlap is high. Folks even further than me have reported getting those markets. So if you are within 200 miles or so of the expected center of the nearby spotbeam market, then its worth a try.

4. The SD channel versions are mostly on 101 and 119 satellites and have a greater coverage range than the Spaceways at 99 and 103 (HD versions). So if you want HD versions, closer to the 150 miles is better while the SD ones may be an option even further away.

5. If you are ready to try, all you need to do is call Directv and talk to a first level CSR. Just politely mention you want to update your service address, keep your current billing and phone. Make sure you hang out to see if locals show. It usually takes several resets. Just mention your dish and receivers are already in place.

6. Go through the setup wizard again on your receivers to denote the SERVICE address. It will give you different azimuth readings and such but it may take your market from 99 to 103. We've seen it happen where the zip on the receiver has to be matching the service zip. You can put any zip you want for OTA which is separate. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REALIGN YOUR DISH.

7. Pick a valid zip and town in the desired DMA. You can use any street or number.

8. Any moved scenario results in no onsite support or installs. They will try to do installs at your service address. If you need something badly, you can move to your billing address and move back the next month. Just be very careful about this.

Again this is info I have read over the years and supposedly works. ;) You take all the risk.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Audio dropouts with OTA and HR20 but not H10-250

Equipment Cost

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)