No program grid or dvr recording on remote apps

TJPWX

Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Mesquite
I have a 722 with a sling adapter. When accessing my programming through remote access (both iPad and iPhone), I can watch live TV. However, two things are awry:

1. There is no program guide--literally. Regardless of selecting "Now," "Today," "Later," or "Grid" no programs show. In either get the message "there were no results found in 'Everything on Now,' " or just a blank, gray space where the program guide should be (the time slots are visible).

2. I can't see any recordings on my DVR. I have a bunch of recordings that can be accessed from the web, but iPad and iPhone remote viewing of DVR doesn't work. The remote devices think there are no recordings.

I have rebooted my system a bunch, checked the connection, etc. I was able to view both of these from all remote platforms several days ago, but something changed. I'm not sure what.

TG2 said you could help.

Any thoughts?

This may be something a little more specific, honestly. Sometimes there is an "error" and what I suggested via PM was basically a reset on my end. It usually corrects this issue. Care to try it?

:) I direct everyone here... since no one seems to be on dishsupport.com or they aren't as easily reached and up to date on these oddities.. :) I yearn for the day Dish/Sling get this problem resolved.. so a customer doesn't have to waste a Dish Tech's time for this.. and yes.. i call it a waste of Tony's & the rest of the Dish IRT ... since its obviously bug like in nature.. :) Anyway.. thanks for getting with him TonyT!

This may be something a little more specific, honestly. Sometimes there is an "error" and what I suggested via PM was basically a reset on my end. It usually corrects this issue. Care to try it?

After you set up the new account it didn't work. But I checked it today and all is well on the iPad and iPhone. Someone must have done something behind the scenes. I appreciate your help. Very responsive. Thanks.

I have been experiencing this issue for the past month or so. I use the sling player app on my android EVO 4G. It worked for a while but as of late it refuses to cooperate. Does anyone think this could be related to carrier, OS, WiFi, etc. I am eager to achieve a resolution.

After you set up the new account it didn't work. But I checked it today and all is well on the iPad and iPhone. Someone must have done something behind the scenes. I appreciate your help. Very responsive. Thanks.

Platform manager was still asking me questions about the issue, so I am not sure he had done anything yet. I believe the account reset fixed it, but it wasn't until the cache cleared on the app that it was able to produce the results. That is my guess anyway. Glad it is working, either way.

I have been experiencing this issue for the past month or so. I use the sling player app on my android EVO 4G. It worked for a while but as of late it refuses to cooperate. Does anyone think this could be related to carrier, OS, WiFi, etc. I am eager to achieve a resolution.

There have been known issues with the T-Mobile carrier, but WIFI would not be affected by that, and the issue was not with the guide. We can certainly try the same thing I did with TJPWX

Tony... I have a 722k with a sling adapter.

I am having the same issue with not seeing any of my DVR recordings or Guide information on Dish Remote Access (both via the web and on the Android App).

I am able to watch live TV via Dish Remote Access so I know everything is hooked up properly.

I have had close to a dozen phone calls and chat sessions and cannot get any one to fix my issue.

Can you reset my online account?

I will PM you contact info.

Thanks.

Alright guys, just a heads up! I have figured out the issue with guide information being blank or having Spanish programming. It is simply a matter of the preferences that are selected in DRA versus programming you subscribe to. Let me explain a bit.

DRA has "filters" built into it to eliminate channels from the guide you do not like or watch. So, if you select a language in the preferences tab of DRA that you do not subscribe to, it will not display anything at all, because you don't subscribe to that language. For instance, if I select Italian and have the AT250, nothing is going to show. However, if I have Raitalia (?? spelling?) and the AT250, and select Italian and English, all channels will show.

Also, if I say I don't like certain types of shows, they will "go missing". On top of that, if I "like" certain shows, but not all shows, channels that do not match my likes will "go missing" as well.

FYI: Prior to "resetting an account", I need to know the issue 100% and it has to fall in a certain range of issues in order for me to "delete" or "reset" the account.

Another little trick I found is to toggle the HD only option.. It is in the top right hand column..

I never had the guide come up completely blank but have from time to time had certain channels missing.. The above trick usually fixed the problem.

Also make sure you guide says "Everything" at the very top.

Kevin.

Attachments

• iphoneguide.jpg
    iphoneguide.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 161
DRA has "filters" built into it to eliminate channels from the guide you do not like or watch. So, if you select a language in the preferences tab of DRA that you do not subscribe to, it will not display anything at all, because you don't subscribe to that language. For instance, if I select Italian and have the AT250, nothing is going to show. However, if I have Raitalia (?? spelling?) and the AT250, and select Italian and English, all channels will show.
And let me guess ... there's no proper "off" switch to tell the sytsem.. stop filtering the channels... I get the "everything", and the filters down the *left* side .... but even in everything if there's still a filter that can't be officially set to *absolutely no filters* mode... then its another "fail" for the guys that programmed it, the guys that dreamt it up, and so forth..

And then there's the delineation between showing in the Today / Later tabs of DRA than there would be on the "GRID" tab ... since you would expect (after having seen the today and later tabs) that those tabs are showing things based on "likes" ... where the Grid.. the only excuse to be made for "everything" would be the programming package (why show HBO if you don't subscribe) .... and even *then* there should have been (past tense since DRA "is no more") an option for a user to select show all channels including those not in their package..

that last part.. "option for a user... all channels" ... is to allow the users to see what they *could* be getting .... and again.. its just like the default behavior of looking at the guide *on* tv .... press it once... its on All Subscribed .. press again, its on ALL Channels, again, HD Only.. in a cycle .... why didn't the original design elements get transferred to the Dish Remote Access method?

And further.. why are much of these functions *STILL* not encorporated years after it began, and when will the idiots (and please quote me on that Tony if you speak with said idiot) encorporate the functions of the DVR to the new Dish Online?

One of the top 10 rules in design ... Replicate then improve ... to date they've never replicated the functionality of the DVR to the web... just selected portions of it.. and expect it to be "good enough" .... always disappointing people that guy and their team are..

TG2, while I get the general message you have on this, calling people "idiots" because you don't agree with how things are seems, to me, more then a little bit out of line. I don’t think I will be quoting it to anyone. ;)

While "design" may have rules, the application was setup with a specific intention: managing your DVR from elsewhere, to include your phone. Those original intentions have been "expanded" with Sling now being a feature allowed by DRA. Personally, I like the interface online better then I like the receiver, now that I have a better understanding of it.

I do need to clarify something about my last post, as it may lead to confusion in the future. I managed to confuse myself in it, anyway. I have been playing with DRA and found some "bugs" with my language, so with a new grasp of feature names as they pertain to DRA, I want to explain how things work there.

"Filters" actually isolate the grid to reflect only what is in the filter (filtering out everything else). If I add an HBO filter, and select it, it will only show HBO, not eliminate HBO. "Everything" stays as "everything" regardless of the other “Filters” added to the left column.

“Preferences”, on the other hand, change the order of items that come back in the “Now”, “Today”, and “Later” categories, and does not affect the grid whatsoever unless it is the language preference. The same things are returned, simply in a different order. For example, if I search using the “movie” on “Now” and “like” PG, G, and “dislike” R/NC-17/AO/NR, the order with which things are returned are my “likes” first, then my “dislikes”. The same 86 entries came back, simply in a different order.

I personally like the way it works in DRA, and my recommendation would be to carry it over to DISH Online with one small change, the ability to “filter” multiple items at once (something I thought happened last week). Basically, I want to be able to have action, adventure, and figure skating show up as the only returned items in “Now” (example only).

TG2, while I get the general message you have on this, calling people "idiots" because you don't agree with how things are seems, to me, more then a little bit out of line. I don’t think I will be quoting it to anyone. ;)
There's several reasons I use that word.. My first is that again.. design 101 replicate, then improve.

They've never replicated the DVR's functionality .. they just picked and pulled what *they* thought were key features ... unfortunately that leaves people trying to figure out how to use two different "devices" ... one they have in front of them every time they sit at the tv .. the other on their less often used "remote access".

Is that good form? or stupidity?

Other than calling it incompetence, how would someone define using the wrong date information for sorting events? or the grouping of events by original event names, under a name that a *user* has modified instead of keeping both separate (DRA) or discarding that user's modification (DishOnline) so that it messes up how the user sees their events all together? (renamed event is there, however DO shows original name only, making it harder to pick out the one special event amongst 8 others with the same name)

Even far from duplicating the DVR.. sorting alone is wrong.. how could anyone not look at that and go "oops we goofed"? And how could it have existed for so long in DRA ... and now be replicated as a bug in another form, inside Dish Online?

Its the programming by idiots, or the management by idiots that didn't properly start by replicating the functions of the user DVR's ... since 99 out of every 100 customers have the DVR in front of them more than the remote access screens.. to then build a remote access method that doesn't even present the information as the customer SEES that information when normally in front of their tv.. ??? that's not smart that's pretty idiotic.

Your man that you know.. if they are worth the merit ... they would take being called an idiot with a pinch of salt, and should look to see the reasons *why* or they would know they aren't "the idiot" but would know where to point within their group / their management / etc.. and again should look to see what's wrong, and get it fixed.

There's also the disparity of knowing its probably too late, the "idiots" have already made their interface choices, and we, "the users", will be stuck using something that is wrong, that isn't fully functional, or that only presents the information in one way (grouped, etc) and grouped incorrectly.

I stand by the use ... offensive though it may be .. someone there *is* an incompetent boob ... an idiot for not working to fix the problems and now they're just re-creating DRA as a copy of a copy, in Dish Online, with some whiteout, some post-its over other spots, spackle, and paint. You can paint and shine a turd ... but its still just a turd.

There's some good functionality to both DRA & D.O. ... but if they don't fix the bugs in either, what good is it to rebuild a tool, only to have the bad stuff built in with it?

I can help you it is actually a known issue right now, can you PM me your account number or phone number for your account so I can submit a Technical Problem Report? Also could you please include the server accessed in the address bar and the User ID affected?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts