No Signal-NADA!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You can do a Power scan at anytime, then if you are close to any satellite you will find some channels, then we can work out what way you need to go......

Menu
right arrow
edit TP/satellite
choose what satellite
OK edit tp
new
enter the coordinates
OK
exit
exit
exit
menu
right arrow
Antenna setup
pick the satellite
go down to TP and right arrow until you hit the coordinates you entered
Then move the dish until you see quality only.

OK Pete,
I found in the menu, every thing you said and set it.
I also drove to Fry's and bought a Satellite signal strength meter.(satalign Triplett) it also shows right or left hand polarization.
I put it in line at the dish and had a signal.
I had to move slightly to the south for the strongest signal.
But!! I had to point it at the lowest vertical position and when it bottomed out (looking at the ground) it was still climbing.
I must have something backwards or upside down?
What do you think?
Thanks, Wayne

Signal meters can help find some satellites, but I find the DBS satellites being MUCH stronger than most KU satellites, keep pulling you onto them and off the KU satellites. But they can be used as a guide, and in some locations/satellites with great success depending where in the sky you are pointing your dish and if there are stronger satellites to each side.....

Gandolf said:
I put it in line at the dish and had a signal.
I had to move slightly to the south for the strongest signal.
But!! I had to point it at the lowest vertical position and when it bottomed out (looking at the ground) it was still climbing.
I must have something backwards or upside down?
My personal experience with those signal meters is that I got some of my strongest signals when pointing at the ground or at walls. If you really dig in to the science behind satellite broadcasting, you'll find that this is normal. Everything emits certain frequencies that are in the same range as satellite transmissions, so the garden 20 feet away looks like a stronger "transmitter" than the satellite miles away. It's one of the big reasons why offset dishes are so popular; even if misaligned, it still won't point at the ground.

Anyway, my personal suggestion is to be sure you're pointing at the sky ;) , then use the signal finder to get something as strong as you can, then let your receiver blind scan it. It make take several tries at different strong points in the sky. You may find different programming than you expect, but you'll be able to poke around LyngSat and figure out what satellite matches what you've got. Once you know where you're pointing, you can figure how far left-right up-down you need to go to get what you really want.

It can be frustrating, but it'll feel soooo good when you get it right! Good luck!

OK,
It's raining now, so later this afternoon I'll have another go at it.
I hooked a friends Direct TV receiver to the dish and it could not find anything either.
I think they use different polarization. I don't think it could even find the lnb?

It a shame this equipment does not have self check circuity. At least I would know it was not the equipment.
Thanks again, Wayne

Well I have some success :) I used the meter to find the strongest signal, came inside and the second or so sat. in the list, Echo 9/1a13 had 80% and the lower bar was showing between 25% nd 99%on Quality. Did a power search and found 15 channels? and it is still going.
So what do I do when it finishes? You can be brief if need be.
The search was for all+D now at 21.

Well it is nice and clear, But it is dish network, I don't think I can get that? What I see is a clear picture of the congratulations screen.
Damn that was tough!
But that meter did it for me! Scared to move it now.

Scan for FTA channels only as the +D is for European countries only.

When it finishes watch some tv! If you are 100 % sure you are on your true south sat to start with you can switch to DiSEqC 1.2 and tweak the signal by nudging the dish to the west or east as needed to get the maximum signal quality. Then store, to store a DiSEqC 1.2 position you must assign it a position number (top of list)

Only by the channels you get with the satellite scan will you know which satellite you are locked on. What are the names of some of the channels?

I found the true south sat.
it was little further east than I thought.
Scanning it now (power), there are no names just #'s. oh I C.
On G3C it found seven so far
41rnt37,46tv42, 47tv43,48tv44
There are 4 other of the rnt#
It's looking still

DiSEqC 1.2 and tweak the signal by nudging the dish.
Nudge it with the motor? How

You know it's been cloudy here since I got this, clear now. This level of cover would have not stopped the Direct TV I had years ago. Is it the same with this?

Doing good!

To move the dish a fraction to the east or west in antenna setup screen go to positioner setting change to 1.2 hit OK...... then down to nudge east or west.

Keep eye on Quality and max it out (L and R arrow), then store the (numbered) position!

Clouds and rain will affect the weak channels but the others should be OK, its much the same as a DirecTV system in that respect. Bigger dish but weaker satellites.....same difference!

I need to hook the motor back up first, It's still there but bypassed

Keep eye on Quality and max it out (L and R arrow), then store the (numbered) position!

got this done. I guess it stored the #29, do I need to recall it when I return to the sat.?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)