Non-HD pic quality from 622?

Phils

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 28, 2006
Paradise, CA
I mentioned in another post that my imagination must be running wild because the SD picture seems WAY better than with my 501. Topcats69 posted that it "probably does look better".

I've been watching for 3 days now. The picture IS better. For instance, there was always some VERY slight ghosting of captions on my local station pkg but no longer. That's the only change that I can describe other than the picture looks MUCH better (and it was EXCELLENT before).

The improvement COULD be due to using RGB cables instead of S-video but it seems TOO MUCH better to simply be different cables.

My question: the 622 setting is for 1080i. On an SD broadcast does the 622 'synthesize' (for lack of the correct term) pictures and send them to the TV at 1080i instead of 480i?

Phil

The outputs on HDMI and component will be set for whatever the resolution you pick, regardless the HD or SD. The HD and SD are the souce singnal for which has been broadcasted.

Phils said:
My question: the 622 setting is for 1080i. On an SD broadcast does the 622 'synthesize' (for lack of the correct term) pictures and send them to the TV at 1080i instead of 480i?

Yes. The 622 will upconvert programming, if necessary, to the resolution you have specified for output.

Yeah, "upconvert".... that's the term I'd seen, thanks.

I guess if Dish advertised that even SD programs would look better, they'd be inundated with calls from people that "... can't see any difference..".

Another improvement I've noticed is no perceptable "jagging" on diagnal thin white lines, where as before if I looked closely that was always present.

It might be that I look closer than many, too (probably not closer than the members here, but closer than the general population). I spent some years working in the control room of a smaller nationwide TV network back in the eighties (it's since gone out of business) and occasionally miss the program because I'm focused on the picture or equipment. Kinda like the DVD that prompted me to upgrade to HD... I didn't really think my TV was capable of the resolution I'm seeing until watching that DVD. I can't even tell you the title as I was too involved in seeing the better picture.

Phil

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)