Not happy with the Dish Hopper DVR

Although from the looks of it all he really would need to do is remove the existing satellite feeds going into first dpp44 add another one and we should be good to go. Now I know at least once every year or two I burn out LNB's they say it's due to so much equipment, I don't know if that's true or not.

Its not too much equipment. Not even close. If that was the case, our commercial headends would never work.

Tyralak said:
Its not too much equipment. Not even close. If that was the case, our commercial headends would never work.

My tech really likes to poke fun when something breaks, so I never know if he is kidding or what but that is what he told me something about the thing running hot. And they dont use the regular LNB's on my dish, my one that points at 110 and 119 had to put some kind of weird ones on it because it was causing some kind weird feedback. Now I don't anything about the one that points at 129 because it's way up there in sky, so it could miss a tree. I REALLY tried to pay attention to him but it was very confusing. I could call him and ask every time he comes he sticks his cell phone number on every remote he can find so now I hide them I hate peeling the stickers off

Last edited:
I can't fault them for any them for anything in the world they are the best money can buy. I love dish network and It will break my heart to pack up their boxs and send them back. But If I can't I can't have a 2 hoppers and keep my current config I'm going to see what Direct TV can do for me I am not under contract. They will lose a 5 star customer (whatever that means). Hopefully Direct TV can meet my needs. I have had it, watching that retailer chat where they told them they could not have a hopper and keep legacy equipment. And I don't know if I will be able to get someone high enough up to get someone that can make an exception to the rule.:(

It looks cool from what I've seen. I hear it will be free to existing customers with a packages 200 or higher. Then I hear no that's only for new customers. I just switched to dish at the end of January so I'll be upset if they say existing customers have to pay 99 bucks for one.

Here's my take on the Hopper flaws (either design or software limitation):

• Not enough tuners for four TVs
  • Distribution insanely limited to MoCA (DIRECTV made the same mistake with the C30 and H25)
  • No apparent interest on DISH's part to implement client software for DISH ViP receivers (DIRECTV recognized the importance of this before they released the HMC)
  • No solutions that don't involve an external box
  • Using the arguably obscure Zigbee control protocol for remote control and automation instead of cheaper IP-based control (no, I don't mean IR)
  • 50% set-aside on storage
  • The product names

Harshness,

Whether there is enough tuners is totally dependent on how you and what you watch. For me, nearly zero live viewing, all delayed viewing for some period of time and most contentions during prime time and caused by broadcast more than cable type channels.

As to your others, I don't know that any of them are an issue at all, with the exception of implementing the Vips into the system. And even there, how many subscribers would find that a limitation? Technically it is one, but functionally I don't know anyone personally that would need that.

I am very upset with dish at this point in time, and no amount of free cinemax, stars, pay perviews blockbusters on demand or anything else will fix it.

I am very upset with dish at this point in time, and no amount of free cinemax, stars, pay perviews blockbusters on demand or anything else will fix it.

I see this emotional backlash a lot (an observation, not an attack). Why? Dish has taken nothing from you. You have everything you had last month. You have been given an option. If you don't like it, keep what you have or go to another provider.

If your current cell phone company, or TV manufacturer (etc) came out with a new model, and it wasn't to your liking, would you be so upset?

Its not the model though I love what they designed it just needs to be off set a little it my household with the other equipment that I already own I WANT the model they just won't give it to me and allow me to keep what I have which is a big difference, I'm bitching about the fact that I can't have the very best money can buy and keep what already paid good money for, that is all.

And to answer your question NO I don't get upset about cell phones or TV's manufactures or anything else for that matter but those things I don't use nearly as much as I use as Dish Network. Dish Network Matters, I personally watch a lot of TV and so does my other half and we were kind of looking forward to facebook app and the new little goodies they were going to add to our screen so yes I am a little disappointed in the fact that I can not have hoppers in my home.

You can have both, but as of right now, you have to pay for the privilege with a second account. I have no idea why Dish decided to go this direction, but it is what it is. This should be a lesson to lease and not buy from service providers as sooner or later you get obsolesced.

I see this emotional backlash a lot (an observation, not an attack). Why? Dish has taken nothing from you. You have everything you had last month. You have been given an option. If you don't like it, keep what you have or go to another provider.

If your current cell phone company, or TV manufacturer (etc) came out with a new model, and it wasn't to your liking, would you be so upset?

Its not the model though I love what they designed it just needs to be off set a little it my household with the other equipment that I already own I WANT the model they just won't give it to me and allow me to keep what I have which is a big difference, I'm bitching about the fact that I can't have the very best money can buy and keep what already paid good money for, that is all.

And to answer your question NO I don't get upset about cell phones or TV's manufactures or anything else for that matter but those things I don't use nearly as much as I use as Dish Network. Dish Network Matters, I personally watch a lot of TV and so does my other half and we were kind of looking forward to facebook app and the new little goodies they were going to add to our screen so yes I am a little disappointed in the fact that I can not have hoppers in my home.

And speaking of phones I get a new Iphone every year and my dad has phone on my plan that I gave him that he never uses its four years old I doubt hes had it out of the box I still pay for it you don't see them telling me I can't upgrade my Iphone without upgrading his phone

Last edited:
Well, I can understand the loss of utility on owned units. You could sell them, but I understand why that grates. That's part of why I never buy anymore. I'd like to keep a ViP722 as insurance, so to speak, but I wouldn't like to pay $17 a month for that. A second Hopper would be more cost effective. But I'd be royally PO'd if after paying $200 a year or two later Dish upped the second Hopper fee in a big way.

All the same it's their company and it's incumbent upon them to do what seems best to maximize shareholder value. I assuming its a stacking minimization move. The bright spot is, we'll likely hear less grief from the Audit Team.

I keep hearing about this audit team but I have never had one of them call my house in the 7 years that I have had dish network. Now watch they will call me today

Unless they call from an 800 number and all those are intercepted by call blocking so if they are calling from that they are screwed.

Last edited:
I keep hearing about this audit team but I have never had one of them call my house in the 7 years that I have had dish network. Now watch they will call me today

Oh don't worry they most certainly exist. Hundreds of posts about it. People with the Hopper system, if indeed no VIP equipment is allowed would not get or need to get a call from the audit team. It would be very hard/nearly impossible to stack the account other than within the same building if no VIP equipment.
I know you don't like it, but you can bet that is the bottom line as to why no VIP equipment is allowed with the Hopper.

And we have to make choices in life, yours fortunately is not a life and death one. You can get the newest greatest equipment and take a loss and/or sell your receivers, or keep what you have and get good use out of it. By the way, leaving dish certainly doesn't get you your use of the equipment you bought......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)