NPD Hardware Sales Data

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
The data that follows does NOT include sales of Sony's PlayStation 3 or the HD-DVD add-on drive for Microsoft's Xbox 360. These are stand-alone, set-top players only.

From: The Digital Bits - Celebrating Film in the Digital Age

Charts say a lot, especially since this is only standalones.

Attachments

• hdmarketsdec07jan08.jpg
    hdmarketsdec07jan08.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 273
  • hdmarketsdjan081st2weeks.jpg
    hdmarketsdjan081st2weeks.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 262
The word is out, even if HD-DVD is not dead, anyone that has seen any tech site or many newspaper aticles thinks BD won. The more sales shift the faster the stories become true.

Last edited:
The word is out, even if HD-DVD is not dead, anyone that has seen any tech site or many newspaper aticles thinks BD died. The more sales shift the faster the stories become true.

At this point the remaining HD DVD boosters are playing the part of Baghdad Bob. While everybody else sees their brick and mortar retailers adjusting shelving to favor Blu-ray, they swear that their Best Buy is a 50:50 split, the HD DVDs are flying off the shelf, and the Blu-ray racks are dusty, etc.

1) I was very surprised BD had 60/40 in Dec. Especially with those overpiced players ;)

2) You can see the week after the WB announcement that things got real out of hand.

3) Now we have to see how the discounted players do, especially if Paramounts deal with HDDVD hinges on strong hardware sales in 1st Qtr 08

Retailers like to sell the player that gives them more profit, BD clearly wins in that department.
HD-DVD's new name is just an overpriced DVD up converter :).

Where's the overall? It does appear the Blu is stronger in standalone sales recently.

Overall? Do you mean with the addon and PS3?

The one thing I dont like about this is the addon is not counted. Unlike the ps3, its only function is to pay HDDVD's.

It still surprised me that BD stand alones outsold HDDVD with the price difference.

This is one of those times where your FUD accusation does not fly.
What did you expect after that Warner news? In a week or two it will be back to normal. Pretty pictures for the Blu trolls to run with and paste everywhere but all it represents is a temporary over reaction for one week.

:confused: Question: Why leave out the xbox add on? there is only one reason to buy it. To turn the 360 into a standalone.

Answer: SO BD can show a bigger piece of the pie of course for december.

Way to go Bill $unt. The title of his dribble should have been "Attention Blu Trolls!!!! look what I can do when I leave out this data!"

ROFL...you guys (and that is on both sides of the aisle) crack me up...AS IF you are making money of the sale of these players....

Sony/Toshiba/WB/Paramount...and the rest of them don't give a rats backside about WE the consumer....

What the world coming to when the lil guy cheers on big business.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts