Latest NPD report shows Blu-ray sales were no trend

Yepp, no trend here.

Just outselling in movies and standalones every week, then theres the PS3 :cool:

Yepp, then nonrev's gonna say they are only outselling players because of the bundle, how about read this for a little more info:

TG Daily - Sony, Sharp offer free Blu-ray players, sorta

Then, last but not least. If you say that the BD player/TV bundles are making that big of a difference in total sales every week over players that are $150, I say :haha

Some people cant handle the truth, that even though the BDA is just plain evil and expensive, they are selling better.

Let's me get this straight...HD DVD has just been shot in the head, stabbed through the heart and impaled for all the world to see at CES...but they still have a faint pulse when the fat lady jumps up and down on its chest.:rolleyes:

Seriously, HD DVD sales will continue in some form or fashion because people want cheap discs to use with their cheap players. If this is the best example of HD DVD resurgence then the format is in trouble, deep trouble. "Regardless, the better metric for the success of a packaged media format is media sales and with two weeks at about 84 percent and almost no decent red titles in sight, we'd be surprised if Blu victory in that court didn't continue."

"Regardless, the better metric for the success of a packaged media format is media sales and with two weeks at about 84 percent and almost no decent red titles in sight, we'd be surprised if Blu victory in that court didn't continue."
Imagine if they had some decent titles being released.

"Long live the fighters!"

If this is the best example of HD DVD resurgence then the format is in trouble, deep trouble.
It is. For a while already.
For about half as long as the BD gang is claiming it is dead.

Now, isn't BD itself on life support in intensive care?

Diogen.

The thing is there is virtually no difference now vs December. Warner is still releasing on HD-DVD. The interesting sales numbers will be in June once Warner has stopped (if Universal and Paramount do not go BD).

Let's me get this straight...HD DVD has just been shot in the head, stabbed through the heart and impaled for all the world to see at CES...but they still have a faint pulse when the fat lady jumps up and down on its chest.:rolleyes:

Seriously, HD DVD sales will continue in some form or fashion because people want cheap discs to use with their cheap players. If this is the best example of HD DVD resurgence then the format is in trouble, deep trouble. "Regardless, the better metric for the success of a packaged media format is media sales and with two weeks at about 84 percent and almost no decent red titles in sight, we'd be surprised if Blu victory in that court didn't continue."

Come on riff, a bit extreme don't you think?

Lets keep the FUD to a minimum, please.

Units:
66 - Blu-ray Disc - 16,496 units
34 - HD-DVD - 8,639 units

Revenue: (What the retailer's really care about)
84 - Blu-ray Disc - $6,033,540
16 - HD-DVD - $1,182,248

How is this good news for HD DVD again?

the figures from the first two weeks did seem a bit extreme. Let's keep watching to see what happens but one side or the other caliming final victory every weeek gets us nowhere.

I'm guessing the two free in-store movies I got with my Dad's HD-A3 counted toward this figure.... anyone for some nonsensical ranting about free movies being counted in this data?

;)

The report is about hardware not software.

My bad - was in a hurry earlier and just assumed this was talking about disc sales.... so then I figured, well that other thread must be talking about disc sales.... but nope, they're both talking about the exact same thing... oh, well - not the first time I've been mistaken.

So, let me rephrase: I'm sure giving away all those extra discs and dropping prices had an impact on the player sales, and yet they still couldn't get even up to half, when just a few weeks ago the theory was that HD-DVD was dominating stand-alone sales. Better? :)

So, let me rephrase: I'm sure giving away all those extra discs and dropping prices had an impact on the player sales, and yet they still couldn't get even up to half, when just a few weeks ago the theory was that HD-DVD was dominating stand-alone sales. Better? :)
A 500% jump in one week is pretty good.

A 500% jump in one week is pretty good.

Yes, except that you're trying to prove the point that one week is not a trend. So, if going that far down is not a trend down, you can't really say that going up is a trend that way, either.

A few weeks in a row of being significantly below where they were last year sounds like a trend to me....

Trend

a: to extend in a general direction : follow a general course <mountain ranges trending north and south>
b: to veer in a new direction : bend <a coastline that trends westward>

a: to show a tendency : incline <prices trending upward>
b: to become deflected : shift <opinions trending toward conservatism>

Yes, except that you're trying to prove the point that one week is not a trend. So, if going that far down is not a trend down, you can't really say that going up is a trend that way, either.

A few weeks in a row of being significantly below where they were last year sounds like a trend to me....
It all depends on your time horizon. Last year HD DVD standalones sales trended higher the Blu standalones. I think to use a few weeks is too short of a time horizon (especially if I'm trying to support my argument :D).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts