NYC and LA HD Locals launched and available!

Dma

I live in the Tampa DMA and the majority of the towers as 80 -90 miles away. I actually chose locals and requested waivers fron the networks.

rdinkel said:
It is not breaking FCC rules to offer HD distants. The FCC has already ruled that the present analog prediction models and waivers will apply. And if you were receiving distant networks on 8 Dec 2004, then you can also receive them plus your LILs. DirectTV is not out on a limb. Dish is just not being responsive to their rural customers. See attached fact sheet. View attachment 7102

Thanks for the fact sheet. It says:

"Subscribers who are 'unserved' with respect
to analog service are eligible for distant digital
signals. Satellite companies are not required
to offer distant digital signals."

So, you're correct in saying that D* is not breaking the rules if they are offering HD-DNS to "analog unserved" areas (is this confirmed, or are HD-DNS only offered to O&O cities?). I would also agree that E* would be smart to offer HD-DNS as a differentiator, or to compete with D*, as the case may be. Unfortunately, they are not required to do so, so they probably won't. Thanks for setting me straight.

Brad

Bradtothebone said:
So, you're correct in saying that D* is not breaking the rules if they are offering HD-DNS to "analog unserved" areas (is this confirmed, or are HD-DNS only offered to O&O cities?).

Brad

I can confirm this. My neighbor has been getting HD-DNS since they moved into their house early 2005. He hasn't upgraded to the new MPEG 4 receiver yet, and still gets HD DNS even though local Atlanta HD are currently on MPEG 4.

Atlanta is not O&O for ABC and NBC, not exactly sure about FOX and CBS.

NYC HD Locals

Arthope said:
Could any of you guys lucky enough to have MPEG 4 receivers already kindly give me the channel listings of the New York locals? CBS-HD is 9483. I need the listing for NBC-HD, ABC-HD, and FOX-HD. Thanks.

The NYC HD locals are on 6300-6303 but they took them away from us who do not live in the NYC DMA. This is on a Mpeg4 receiver of course.

The Big Wood said:
I can confirm this. My neighbor has been getting HD-DNS since they moved into their house early 2005. He hasn't upgraded to the new MPEG 4 receiver yet, and still gets HD DNS even though local Atlanta HD are currently on MPEG 4.

Atlanta is not O&O for ABC and NBC, not exactly sure about FOX and CBS.
When "D" first launched HD DNS, they were pretty much restricting to O&O but a lot of people with waivers fought the process and protested to "D". Some even got lawyers involved. There were numurous threads about this in the AVS forum last Summer. I know there was a long on going thread from the Walnut Creek, Ca area about it. Eventually "D" started accepting more waivers.
I remember someone posting a letter from the FCC that basically "scolded" "D" for not providing HD DNS and "blaming" it on the FCC. They went on to say that although DBS doesn't have to provide HD DNS in any area, they should not be blaming their "business" decisions on the law or the FCC. They also said that "whether or not your DBS company offers analog LiLs in your area, has nothing to do with whether or not you can receive HD DNS".

waltinvt said:
When "D" first launched HD DNS, they were pretty much restricting to O&O but a lot of people with waivers fought the process and protested to "D". Some even got lawyers involved. There were numurous threads about this in the AVS forum last Summer. I know there was a long on going thread from the Walnut Creek, Ca area about it. Eventually "D" started accepting more waivers.
I remember someone posting a letter from the FCC that basically "scolded" "D" for not providing HD DNS and "blaming" it on the FCC. They went on to say that although DBS doesn't have to provide HD DNS in any area, they should not be blaming their "business" decisions on the law or the FCC. They also said that "whether or not your DBS company offers analog LiLs in your area, has nothing to do with whether or not you can receive HD DNS".

How can we get that started with E* Boss Hog has really screwed us this year! Boss Hog aka Charlie

What is Charlie's reason for not letting Distant Net subscribers get the HD nets. We pay the same $5 as the locals. We are being cheated.

*sigh*
I'm on the phone with a CSR right now who's telling me that I can't get NBC-HD until April 1st. :(
I'm in Orange County... LA area (DMA)... wierd.

Edit: The Orange County in Southern California, that is.

I have searched this site for 45 minutes and finally given up.

Can someone please post the channel numbers Dish is using for the 5 new Voom Channels, Universal HD, ESPN2 and the new NY/LA HD Locals?

I see NY locals are 6300-6303 in this thread, but can someone please post each channel and number in one place/post?

Thanks

How come my HD locals don't go 16:9? I can see the image is of higher quality than the SD channel? Voom and UniHD and TNTHD show up just fine.

Edit: Nevermind, I forget the program has to be produced in HD....I'm tired....

Last edited:
To answer my own question - was hoping for something here and not another site:

ESPN2 9425
Universal HD 9427

World Sport 9473
World Cinema 9475
Treasure 9477
Game Play 9585
Family 9486

NY HD locals 6300-6303

LA HD locals 6306-6309

Well, technically (as I've been STRONGLY told by the maintainers :D ) the EKB is not affiliated with any web forum. If you read the bottom of this page, you'll get a pretty good idea of the independent nature of the EKB.

Tom Bombadil said:
I consider "true" HD to be a program that is broadcast in its original/native HD resolution. By downrezzing a 1920x1080i source to 1280x720p, you are stripping 33% of the horizontal resolution away and then altering the vertical resolution, in some way because it can be done in different ways. Someone with a 1080i set will see a loss in definition once their set has to reconvert the 1280x720p back to 1920x1080i. Information is lost in this process. Therefore I don't consider the end result to be true HD.

Sources recorded in 1920x1080i should be broadcast in 1920x1080i. Likewise sources recorded in 1280x720p should be broadcast in 1280x720p. You don't want your provider to be manipulating and converting the images. It is best to allow you to make your own decision upon what type of TV you have and let it, or other equipment you put into your system to convert/scale video, handle the conversions.

The FCC doesn't agree with you nor does the ATSC. Further, networks tend to choose one or the other. And then local affiliates choose one or the other, so you may have NBC sending their content out in 1080i but the local affiliate using 720p. This is legal because both are HD and switching between the two is part of the standard. I'd rather have the content converted from 1080i to 720p than from 720p to 1080i, especially since the 720p content over the same bandwidth should have less compression, since it carries 10% less information.

Very few TVs can display 1080i/p in full resolution, but most can display 720p.

Just recieved an email from Dish Dated Feb 3 7:36 PM ...I have a 6000 and 501 and a 500 dish and another one pointed to 61.5 I have AE+HD+voom+SD locals here is what the e-mail said
Experience the complete Olympics on Dish
dish home interactive Channal 100
NBC Showcase: View up to 6 channels simultaneously or select any one to watch full screen
NBC Enhanced Application: Check event schedules, athlete bios, medal counts and more
Over 400 hours of Olympic coverage including HD
200 hours of high definition simulcast on NBC HD
Over 100 hours of content on Universal HD

Do you think disk is stupid enough to send these emails to people who will not be able to get the coverage. If not, then they must going to be adding 2 channels of MPEG2 to cover the Olympics. If not they will pi--- off a lot of people e-mailing them that they will be able to get it and then not showing it. Any comments ??????

HD Tech answers HD DNS question

A HD Tech advised me that E* is presently working on offering HD DNS channels to those of us who have network waivers. Was told those with LA or NY could possible have the channels later this month... or March 2006. I won't hold my breath! :up

kcribb1 said:
A HD Tech advised me that E* is presently working on offering HD DNS channels to those of us who have network waivers. Was told those with LA or NY could possible have the channels later this month... or March 2006. I won't hold my breath! :up

I was also told this. According to the official I spoke with, Dish may have ABC-HD soon but are still working on NBC-HD & FOX-HD. This is for HD DNS. As far as those 50 cities for HD LiLs, he said a lot of that will come from the launch ofEchostar X which happens next week and then they need 45 days testing. They are activly negoiating with a lot of the local afilliates now.

I wouldn't hold my breath..

kcribb1 said:

This would be great but don't hold your breath. According to the "uninformed" Natalie at the CEOs office it is ILLEGAL for dish to provide HD DNS:eek: . What a crock that a company the size of dish cannot even read the FCC rules correctly as it pretains to the current analog model in place for DNS.... Gerry

ggw2000 said:
This would be great but don't hold your breath. According to the "uninformed" Natalie at the CEOs office it is ILLEGAL for dish to provide HD DNS:eek: . What a crock that a company the size of dish cannot even read the FCC rules correctly as it pretains to the current analog model in place for DNS.... Gerry

No Joke!! Agreed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)