NYC Locals question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

harrisburgpatv

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
Mechanicsburg, PA
Even though I live in Harrisburg, I "moved" to NY just to get the locals as there are a ton of them. One station I don't get is WEDW-49, the Connecticut PBS station. It just does a signal search on that channel and I just wonder why. Is it on a different satellite than the rest of the NYC locals, or maybe spot beamed? I am fairly certain that only WCBS, WNBC, WNYW , and WABC are not spot beamed but the rest of the NYC locals are.

Even though I live in Harrisburg, I "moved" to NY just to get the locals as there are a ton of them. One station I don't get is WEDW-49, the Connecticut PBS station. It just does a signal search on that channel and I just wonder why. Is it on a different satellite than the rest of the NYC locals, or maybe spot beamed? I am fairly certain that only WCBS, WNBC, WNYW , and WABC are not spot beamed but the rest of the NYC locals are.
I thought just the major 4 NY stations were Conus and the rest are on spot beams.

Reactions: texasfb
I thought just the major 4 NY stations were Conus and the rest are on spot beams.

They are. Harrisburg isn't too far from NYC, I am not surprised that the locals work. According to the infamous "database" from DBS, the channel in question is on a different transponder than the others (103, 17). I am in a similar situation - I am "moved" further than this poster - Boston from NW VT. The signals all work, but there are 3 or 4 on a transponder that I only have 77% signal on when it's clear (the others are 85-100) so when it snows hard, they go away when the others stay. The SD of my iffy channels works when the HD doesn't, but it doesn't appear that there is a SD for ch 49.

HD NYC Locals: (Calls ch tpn sat)
WCBS 2 9 D11 @99W
WNBC 4 11 D12 @103W
WNYW 5 8 D11 @99W
WABC 7 9 D11 @99W
WWOR 9 16 D11 @99W
WPIX 11 16 D11 @99W
WNET 13 16 D11 @99W
WNYE 25 20 D11 @99W
WXTV 41 20 D11 @99W
WNJU 47 20 D11 @99W
WEDW 49 17 D10 or D12 @103W
WLNY 55 20 D11 @99W
WFUT 68 16 D11 @99W

SD NYC Locals (Calls ch tpn sat)
WCBS 2 30 D9S @101W
WNBC 4 22 D9S @101W
WNYW 5 30 D9S @101W
WABC 7 25 D8 @101W
WWOR 9 20 D4S or D9S @101W
WPIX 11 20 D4S or D9S @101W
WNET 13 20 D4S or D9S @101W
WLIW 21 20 D4S or D9S @101W
WNYE 25 20 D4S or D9S @101W
WPXN 31 20 D4S or D9S @101W
WMBC 40 20 D4S or D9S @101W
WXTV 41 20 D4S or D9S @101W
WZME 43 12 D4S or D9S @101W
WNJU 47 20 D4S or D9S @101W
NJN 50 12 D4S or D9S @101W
WLNY 55 20 D4S or D9S @101W
WRNN 62 20 D4S or D9S @101W
WMBC 63 20 D4S or D9S @101W
WFME 66 12 D4S or D9S @101W
WFUT 68 12 D4S or D9S @101W

Yes, Jimbo is correct, the big 4 on Conus and the rest on spotbeam...

I realize that spotbeams are a necessary evil but I hate them. I miss the days when you could "move" and get any locals.

harrisburgpatv, check your signal levels on 103s transponder 17. As ejb1980 posted, that's where WEDW is. What is your reading there?

I realize that spotbeams are a necessary evil but I hate them. I miss the days when you could "move" and get any locals.
I didn't know about "moving" until January of last year. I never realized that at one point a person could "move" to any market. If that were still the case, I'd "move" to the New York City market (I'm in Rochester, MN) and get all the locals from there.

I didn't know about "moving" until January of last year. I never realized that at one point a person could "move" to any market. If that were still the case, I'd "move" to the New York City market (I'm in Rochester, MN) and get all the locals from there.

You wouldn't. Only the NYC channels you see around ch 390, they are Conus (and IMO wasting HD bandwidth for the like 7 people who get them). You can only "move" to markets you are in spotbeam range of.

You wouldn't. Only the NYC channels you see around ch 390, they are Conus (and IMO wasting HD bandwidth for the like 7 people who get them). You can only "move" to markets you are in spotbeam range of.

Last count DirecTV has at least 1.3 million DNS customers (from one of the STELA stories) all playing $15 or $20 a head... Hardly a waste of bandwidth for them.. You do the math

Last count DirecTV has at least 1.3 million DNS customers all playing $15 or $20 a head... Hardly a waste of bandwidth for them

How can that be? Most markets have locals and those that don't are rural. I know some people are grandfathered. I would love to pay for DNS but we all know that won't happen.

Last count DirecTV has at least 1.3 million DNS customers (from one of the STELA stories) all playing $15 or $20 a head... Hardly a waste of bandwidth for them.. You do the math
Nobody I know of is paying $15-20 for locals ...
Like ejb said, now that locals are in most markets, DNS isn't what it use to be .... I can see back when this first started, but DNS channels are shut off for people when thier locals show up.

Nobody I know of is paying $15-20 for locals ...
Like ejb said, now that locals are in most markets, DNS isn't what it use to be .... I can see back when this first started, but DNS channels are shut off for people when thier locals show up.

Not entirely true at all.. Again according to an article I read DirecTV has over a million customers still paying for the East/West packages that still cost $15 to $20 each. Some are grandfathered, some are RV subscribers, but that Is a significant amount of $$$$ for those east/west feeds

How can that be? Most markets have locals and those that don't are rural. I know some people are grandfathered. I would love to pay for DNS but we all know that won't happen.

Many are grandfathered, many are RV subscribers or in unserved areas. They still have a dedicated DNS department so it must bring in money

Not entirely true at all.. Again according to an article I read DirecTV has over a million customers still paying for the East/West packages that still cost $15 to $20 each. Some are grandfathered, some are RV subscribers, but that Is a significant amount of $$$$ for those east/west feeds

I will buy that more people than I think have DNS. I do not believe anyone pays that much for locals.

I will buy that more people than I think have DNS. I do not believe anyone pays that much for locals.
Agreed ...
Also, I can see RV's having DNS, but I would NOT want DNS when I'm traveling ... I would much prefer being able to access the locals from the city I am closest to.
That is what an RV sub should be.

Agreed ...
Also, I can see RV's having DNS, but I would NOT want DNS when I'm traveling ... I would much prefer being able to access the locals from the city I am closest to.
That is what an RV sub should be.

RV should have both! LIL and DNS.

I never said they paid that for locals but that is what DNS costs.. $15 if you get East or West Coast (based on address) or $20 if you have both east & west grandfathered service

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)