OFFICIAL External Storage Information

used the 622 external HD - it works!

I have a WD 750GB premium "my book" hard drive and the 622 asked me if I wanted to format it, then it let me "archive" existing programs over there. So I archived one, played it a bit, and went back to regular DVR. It works!
(It did take longer for a CSR to actually set me up with the 39.99 fee!)
pat

model 7500P032

If you get "unsupported USB device" message on first connection of the drive, no sweat, just do a front panel reset and all will be well.

Yes, but I've found this to be true any time you unplug the drive and plug it or another drive back in....needs a reboot. So things work great it you have one drive and leave it plugged in, but swapping to another drive is a pain.

I gotta ask. For the purposes of testing the formatting and filesystem stuff...

Will I be able to connect a hard drive and format it without activating the archiving feature? I don't plan on using it any time soon so $40 just to have a look at what it's doing with the formatting and stuff seems kinda silly.

I agree with Chuck, I think we're having a great day. I am very happy being a Dish customer today.

I do have a question for all you guys with WD My Book drives: Do your disks spin down when they are inactive? I don't have a WD. I have a LaCie Porsche 500 Gb. It doesn't spin down, but wish it would...

I agree with Chuck, I think we're having a great day. I am very happy being a Dish customer today.

I do have a question for all you guys with WD My Book drives: Do your disks spin down when they are inactive? I don't have a WD. I have a LaCie Porsche 500 Gb. It doesn't spin down, but wish it would...

IMHO the spin-down is harder on the drive. I'd just let it run. They don't use much power...

If you get "unsupported USB device" message on first connection of the drive, no sweat, just do a front panel reset and all will be well.

Apparently you might need to keep the drive plugged in when you reboot. I unplugged and then rebooted and plugged back in after the reboot and it still said unsupported. I rebooted again with it plugged in and it recognized the drive and formatted.

Well I just did mine - very very easy!

I had my old (owned) deactivated PVR921 sitting in my closet. I removed the Maxtor 250GB HDD and stuck it in a $24 external USB 2.0 enclosure, formatted it on my VIP622, called the E* number and was immediately activated.

I'm now watching TV while offloading several programs from the 622.

This whole operation from removing the HDD from the 921 to archiving took all of about 20 minuets.

Very happy camper here... :)

ETA: I'm archiving ~23GB with a reported transfer time of ~1.3 hours.

Last edited:
Just signed up and it took 5 min. The charge will be added one time on my next bill. Thye said it would be working in about 5 minutes. He said I was only the econd one he has signed up for this. He probably just started his shift.

I just thought I would mention this becuase some of the reports said it woud go for 20 minutes or more.

Yes, my 250gb MY BOOK spins down once they are unplugged from the USB port. Spin down is there for a reason, a good reason. It is the proper way to shut down any disk drive.

<..>
Smith, P is making not so subtle personal snipes towards me.

Sorry, if you feel it was that way. Nothing personal.

Just want have facts straight.

Mentioned limitations of internal mechanics/electronics of HDD will not affect transfer data to/from external USB enclosure.

So far the seen speed is bogged down by DishLinux.
Is it really limited by hard-coding, or inherit irrelevancy from PocketDish processes, I don't know.

I got a 750gig my book for $199.99 at bestbuy and everything is fine with my 622's.

Funny thing, the csr tried to charge me $39.99 per receiver. I had to straighten him out. I said no no my son, do you homework.

Last edited:
Scott and all:
We have a problem two new hard drives one a Hitachi and now one that is a Seagate accepted the transfer of programming, but after 30 secs. they freeze and the prompt appears that the usb is not connected....*E thought it was a bad drive and so I raced to replace it and the next new drive did the same thing.....*E folks are trying to solve what appears now to be a major software glitch.....I'm trying to now get my first new drive back that has the bulk of my programming realizing it is now a sofware problem.....I'm pretty ticked off!

Deja vu ?

I posted 4 days ago same issue http://www.satelliteguys.us/984837-post21.html

Here's the interesting part: Both drives accepted all the programming, but on playback after 30 secs. the picture freezes and then the usb disconnect prompt appears.....you reboot, reconnect the usb try again attempt to play the recording....any of them and the picture freezes and the usb disconnect message appears again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)