OK here is what I know...

ok, all it says is the other channels will launch and new content will come out, I have not seen anything about full resolution. I am not saying you are wrong, I just don't see where is says anyting about full resolution.

Post 1 says "true HDTV resolution" - but there are other, more specific threads. I just gave you a quick one. Look around.

It seems as if VoOm is still being provided elsewhere with all the mention of the 21 VoOm channels and Dish Network only having some of them.

navychop said:
Post 1 says "true HDTV resolution" - but there are other, more specific threads. I just gave you a quick one. Look around.

No you were the first to come up with that rumor. It I have read every post and no post said that full resolution of and current channels would wait until January. I think you took a big leap of understanding on that one. It could be but there was no official word on this sight or even a rumor until your recent post. But perhaps you may wind up being correct.

Stargazer said:
It seems as if VoOm is still being provided elsewhere with all the mention of the 21 VoOm channels and Dish Network only having some of them.

??? who else has voom and is getting all 21? also I would as everyone else has stated said, rather have 15 full rez voom the hd lite

gutter said:
No you were the first to come up with that rumor. It I have read every post and no post said that full resolution of and current channels would wait until January. I think you took a big leap of understanding on that one. It could be but there was no official word on this sight or even a rumor until your recent post. But perhaps you may wind up being correct.

I am going to take a stab and say we might see 1440x1080i (what voom themselves were broadcasting at!

navychop said:

Sorry, don't see anywhere yet where it states as fact or rumor that full resolution will return in January.
Post 1 in that link is just the OP's idea on how to get back to to full resolution. In no way is that fact.

gutter said:

That is what I was thinking. I thought navychop was reading into it a bit much. Granted I sure hope that it is correct and that the full resolution is indeed in January.

Last edited:
Gary Murrell said:
I for one will not accept 1440x1080i, this is not what Voom is using or sending Dish
-Gary

sorry gary didnt mean to get you fired up, I just am not trying to get my hopes up as I have to remember that Voom themselves broadcasted at 1440, would I be happy with it, no, just dont want to get hopes up that is all....I am a supporter of TRUE hd by the way...its just sad you cant find it,OTA only if they dont multicast, and dish network seems to be doing an OKAY job, but voom now has me leaning towards them cheating a bit!

I don't know why dish would think they could make us happy by going to 1440x1080i instead of 1280x1080i. What, 160 vertical lines, no one would ever see the difference, its all HD-Lite to me.

On many sets there is a perceptible difference between 1280x1080i and 1440x1080i. This is a 12.5% increase in resolution.

I agree going to 1440 is not what has been implied in Dish's announcement. For one thing, why would you cut 28.6% of the channels to give a 12.5% increase in resolution? But I guess the 1440 option is still open.

1440 x 1080 was supposed to be temporary during the Voom DBS days as Voom DBS was arranging for an AMC bird at an adjacent orbital slot to share the load with Rainbow 1 that would have allowed for a return to 1920 x 1080.

The move to 1440 x 1080 was necessitated to allow Voom DBS to add all those SD channels during the last two months of operation.

jsb_hburg said:
1440 x 1080 was supposed to be temporary during the Voom DBS days as Voom DBS was arranging for an AMC bird at an adjacent orbital slot to share the load with Rainbow 1 that would have allowed for a return to 1920 x 1080.

The move to 1440 x 1080 was necessitated to allow Voom DBS to add all those SD channels during the last two months of operation.

and where are all the Hd locals going for E* I maybe confused about this, but again I really really hope the voom comes back to full signal!

stuart628 said:
and where are all the Hd locals going for E* I maybe confused about this, but again I really really hope the voom comes back to full signal!

The Rainbow-1 satellite at 61.5 W provides 13 TPs, 12 of which can be used in spotbeam mode. 15 Voom channels would take up 5 TPs at 3 HD channels/TP using MPEG-2. Even at 2 HD channels/TP requiring 8 TPs for the 15 Voom channels, there would still be 5 TPs to be used for spotbeams. These numbers would change for the better using MPEG-4. After E-10 is launched and operational, Dish will free up about 5 TPs on E-3 moving the split locals to E-10. For folks in the west, there is even more space at 129 W and additional space will be freed up at 148 W with split locals moving to E-10 once launched. There also maybe space for HD locals on the E-10 spotbeams. I expect Dish to offer only the big four networks for HD locals similar to DirecTV although offering more would be a good selling point.

Dont forget two additional TPs off R-1 will be CONUS for the NYC HD Locals. I dont see them spotbeaming the LA and NYC locals, as people with waivers could pick these up if they are left conus. I believe they can find a good compromise for the 15 voom + 4 nyc locals on 7 TPs.

Looks like the new HD channels will be in MPEG2, a number of users have forwarded me emails from Dish Network that read as follows...

Dear Customer
Thank you for expressing your concerns and interest in DISH Network. Customer input is an important tool in our efforts to continuously improve the quality of the DISH Network service.
Your 942 receiver should be fully capable of recording any of the new channels once they are launched. There is a January 9th Charlie Chat which should be focused on HD topics. Please let us know if you have any more questions.
At DISH Network we appreciate the time customers take to email their audio/video quality concerns. Thank you for your patience and for being a valued customer.
EchoStar Satellite LLC
Quality Assurance Department
dishquality@echostar.com

Last edited:

DishNetwork 942 - No Sound with HDMI

Time of Dish/VOOM Press Conference??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts