Once cable is installed, how long before service is available? (on average)

petalutha

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2005
We live in Leesburg, Va, and Verizon has already installed the fiber optic cable.

In fact, we are already using Fios internet.

I was wondering if anyone has an estimate regarding how long the tv service might take?

We were thinking of doing a contract with dish network but if verizon will be here soon, we hate to back ourselves into a corner.

Also, does anyone know if their TV packages will involve DVR service?

Thanks.

We live in Keller, TX which is one of the first cities in the country to get FiOS. I called them the other day and they told it will be a gradual thing to get service but it should be within the year. I don't know about your area but there should be a phone number on you fiber optic modem for customer service. If not, there is a link on verizon's home page . Also there will be DVR service. You may not use it much since there will be a lot of on demand programming.

There are a variety of issues to get video up and running. The stickler seems to be franchise agreements. Verizon has been trying to get state-wide agreements but there has been resistance from both local governments and existing cablecos because it cuts the locals out of the loop and gives "an unfair advantage" to Verizon because they don't have to negotiate with the cities.

Verizon also is just getting retransmission agreements with many of the major networks.

Once the network is in place and stablizes, I would imagine that more cities will come online quicker. My company just had Verizon come in and was doing pre-sales for FiOS internet service to be installed in the November/December timeframe and I asked about FiOS TV. The sales marketing drone, while seeming nice, was clueless as to anything firm other then 2006 for my area.

Presuming that your city has an agreement in place with Verizon, then I'm guessing that Verizon will do a large rollout in 1Q/2006. Here's my rationale:

1. Verizon has stated publicly many times that the anticipate rolling out Fios TV in California and Florida around January 2006.

2. Verizon is running about 3-6 months behind in their schedule. I'm sure they would like to get their revenue stream going. So far I think Verizon has mostly been cannibalizing their DSL customers, rather than sign up brand new customers. Many people stick with cable internet because they already have CATV. Give them a reason to switch both over, and the choice becomes a lot easier.

3. Verizon probably has a massive advertising campaign ready to go into full gear for their triple-play package. They want to avoid losing any more landline customers to VOIP/Cable.

4. As Verizon continues to lobby state and federal legislatures for statewide/national franchises, what better way to influence politicians than by creating a major buzz about Verizon TV. If you can show that the only thing holding back TV from the rest of Fios country is the issue of franchise agreements, then the lobbying becomes more effective. If nothing else, it will put more pressure on the Local Franchise Authorities that have not yet granted a franchise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)