OTA and Hopper

ESA1178

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Sacramento, CA USA
I just had dish installed with 1 Hopper and 3 Joeys.
I see the older DVR versions allow for an OTA Module to be installed.
But not the Hopper. Should I be getting the install guy to come out and swap over the Hopper
for another DVR? I can do without accessing the DVR from other locations.
When I called in the order, I was told that the Hopper had a location for
the OTA Module, which it does not.
We pull in local channels that the Hopper does not, so would like to sell our
Series 2 Tivo and pull in those channels through the Dish DVR.
Can anyone recommend the latest DISH DVR that does support the OTA module?

Many thanks!

Mark

Dish is soon to release a ota usb dogle for the hopper but no date has been set yet when they are coming, and just soon

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S3 using SatelliteGuys

I think it is closer than 6 months. Scott mentioned in a month with a J in it. The next J month is January. It really is coming .....wait for it........SSSSSOOOOONNNNN!!!!!!!!!

Probably sometime in the next six months.

Why do you think there is a possible six month time frame? It seemed unofficially like it was June or July, then by end of Summer then that summer would be just missed. Now it seems like no one is willing to even guess anymore that it will be released this year except Scott said he had "gut feeling" it would be October and then November.

Why do you think there is a possible six month time frame?
considering how far off the original guesstimates were, it's best to leave some room for additional delay. It's curious that the current delay is that severely out of Dish's hands that they don't have a clue when it will be released. One of Scott's replies also included the possibility of a delay going into 2013.

The USB OTA module is listed for sale at the Dish store but is " out of stock." So one would think it can't be too far off.

Where are people coming up with these numbers that I said? Especially the 2013.

My gut feeling is we could see it released before the end of November. But that's just a gut feeling.

So before it was a month starting with the letter J (june, july, or January of 2013).

We we hope it is a month starting with the letter N (November).
All we can do is guess as Dish wont tell us anything officially.

As for the original poster of this thread I would call dish and tell them you were miss lead, at least get it on there records in case OTA never ever comes out for the hopper (Dish as the right to change there mind as its not released yet)
Dish they might let you change receivers later or get out of the 2 year contract later if you file the complaint and its documented in the CSR screen.
If you dont call dish, you will have no proof.

Yes before it was a Summer month that started with a J... but then something happened and it got delayed.

I can't go into details now.

But trust me it IS coming out.

Will you have to get 2 otas if you have 2 hoppers or will one ota be able to be seen by both hoppers??? what about joeys...will you be able to access the channels from them???...is it easy to switch out the ota from one hopper to another??? anyone know these answers or can give guesses as to what the answer is ???

Right now it is expected that you'll need one OTA tuner per Hopper, at least initially. Joeys on an OTA equipped Hopper can use the OTA tuner.

I might switch just to take advantage of new customer pricing if this module is guaranteed to come out this year. The Hopper interests me since I played with one while visiting relatives. My HR20 and HR21 are just not fast at all. I wouldn't want to give up the OTA of the HR20 though.

I might switch just to take advantage of new customer pricing if this module is guaranteed to come out this year. The Hopper interests me since I played with one while visiting relatives. My HR20 and HR21 are just not fast at all. I wouldn't want to give up the OTA of the HR20 though.
Its coming OTA is coming - My antenna keeps sending signals to my Hopper but no way to get in. My Hopper just keeps laughing and telling the signals to be patient.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts