Pansat 9000HD with a WNC SWA-48 4x8 switch

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DeputyDan

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Western Kansas (Hays)
I am trying to setup a Pansat 9000HD to work with a modded WNC SWA-48 powered switch. Here is the layout: I have an orthomode feedhorn mounted on a birdview solid dish. The 4 RG-6 coax cables run into a WNC 4x8 switch modified to output 18v on all ports. The C-Band LNBs are on the non-22KHz side the Ku-Band LNB go into the 22KHz inputs. A single run of RG-6 is run from the switch directly into the input of the Pansat. I am setting up the Birdview from scratch so I have the receiver/monitor out at the dish. The overall cable length is around 16 foot so I don't think attenuation is a problem. I am receiving Quality levels of around 85 - 91% on both Ku and C-band signals.

The 'Antenna' setup for the C-Band side of the sat (i.e. 97.0 W Galaxy-19) -> 22KHz = Off, DiSEqC = Off, Legacy SW = None
The 'Antenna' setup for the Ku-Band side of the sat -> 22KHz = On, DiSEqC = Off, Legacy SW = None

The switch doesn't seem to be receiving the 22KHz signal to switch when I attempt to tune a Ku TP. If I go into the Antenna setup menu for the Ku sat and toggle the 22KHz setting off and on sometimes it will switch. When I do get it to switch to Ku and go to a channel on the C-band sat it will not switch back without going into the Antenna menu and toggling the 22KHz setting for the C-band sat. I have tried cycling the power to the switch (with the receiver off). That worked once. The second time I tried it didn't make any difference.

I have changed out the WNC switch with a spare one and replaced the coax from the switch to the receiver. No difference. The Pansat is flashed with the latest Factory file and I did a Factory reset before I started the setup.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try next. I thought maybe I should makeup 4 new cables for the run from LNBs to the switch.

I have a Pansat 9200HD that I employ with modified WNC switches. I have used it exactly in the same manner with the same screen setup as yours and never had a problem switching between the 22 kHz on and off LNBs. From your description and the fact that toggling 22 kHz on and off in the receiver menu sometimes gets it to change, it really sounds like your receiver is not reliably generating the 22 kHz. My Pansat puts out a very high level of 22 kHz compared to the other receivers I use, and they switch reliably, too, through 100-200' of cable and DiSEqC switches.

I did have a problem with my Pansat putting out way too much voltage for vertical polarization selection (up to 14.5V). This caused switches to behave erratically and rightly so. I only mention this in case this problem is masquerading as a 22 KHz issue for you. I popped the cover and found the regulator for the 13V polarization voltage had the wrong resistors to set it up. I don't know if this was a design flaw or a manufacturing error, but it was trivial to fix by bridging one of the resistors with a corrective value.

I to have a Pan-9000 working several multi-switches (6 of them), Spaun & Zinwell but these switches are not modified an the Pan switches fine an have never had a problem threw its life on switching either.

now it does sound like it could be the receiver, don't know if you just got this receiver or if it came from the eye patch boys an if their 3rd party stuff had some thing to do with you're problem or not it hard to say. mine here I had for a few years an it has never seen 3rd party stuff at all. now I have bought an sold a lot of Pan-9000 an have noticed when comparing a previous hack 1 to a 1 that has never seen hack ware that some have not performed as good on tuning, locking an playing satellite signals either in S2 or weak feeds.

you also may want to try a few master resets an see if it helps, also I have used 1006,1012, 1013 an 1014 FW w/B06, now the 1006 & 1012 where with the B05 FW, an all have worked a multi-switch great. also if you have tried another switch was it new or modified? you also can try just a 2 port 22khz switch to see if it is the receiver or not, that should tell you if its receiver or not, I know the 2-port wont work on you're set up but you need to find out why its not switching.

Thanks for the replys. I wanted to confirm that the pansat doesn't have a known issue with 22KHz switching before I spent much more time on it. I'll check the voltage on the Vertical side to see if that is an issue with my box.

I just purchased the pansat on ebay and I suspect it was being used for signal theft. The first thing I did was a factory reset and loaded the 1014 file.

I think it is time for Plan B. I'll dig the old Fortec Ultra out of the closet and hook that up. That should eliminate any problems originating in the receiver. Thanks for your help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Original Installation

FTA help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)