Phillies in Philadelphia AREA on Directtv

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm not too sure about that..PRISM used microwaves..Im pretty sure Comcast upgraded to some sort fiber backbone system (and still was able to maintain the satellite exception)..

they use both

Unlike most other cable networks, CSN Philadelphia is distributed only via microwave and fiber optics. The infrastructure Comcast uses for this was left over from the now defunct PRISM Network.

Have you thought of using a AM21 to get the Philly stations OTA?

AM21 worked great for me when all channels were UHF. Now that ABC is actually on channel 6 (VHF) it is not as good, not the tuners fault though. I have my antenna in the attic. So the answer I am giving is it depends on how far from roxborough (where the broadcast towers are located) you are and the antenna you use.

Last edited:
I'm not too sure about that..PRISM used microwaves..Im pretty sure Comcast upgraded to some sort fiber backbone system (and still was able to maintain the satellite exception)..They were forced to share the service with "fios" in the philly area (because they use no satellite uplink they are exempt)

This is incorrect. They could have pulled the same crap with FiOS but Verizon has just as almost as much political pull in Philly as Comcast does. Cablevision is using it in the NYC DMA to keep MSG and MSG+ HD feeds from Verizon.

My understanding with the new Comcast merger is that if 2 providers can not reach an agreement after X (90?) number of days of negotiations, either party can then request arbitration. So at some point we should see CSN Philly on D*. Will it be before the Phillies season I have my doubts.

This1 said:
I think it was called PRISM is what caused the loophole. If i still live in NJ i would have comcast just because of the local sport teams.
The $5 dollars service for another location can you please explain that thanks

The $5 service was set up for Directv customers who had more than one residence; a vacation home maybe. As Directv cannot limit where their signal goes, like Comcast or other cable co's can, they had to do something so people wouldn't just move their receivers to their 2nd home. As long as you have a dish and an activated receiver, you can get service anywhere. So, if you have 2 residences and each has a dish already, d* will rent you the receivers for your 2nd home. It appears as though the program is gone however they seem to be very lenient on letting you take receivers to a different location.

you're lucky then. Here in Minneapolis is Comcast, D* or E*
Your Not in the Philiadelphia DMA.
If you live in the Philadelphia DMA, with D* or E* you get NO In market sports.

If I lived in Minneapolis I wouldn't expect to get Philadelphia Sports.

They would be blacked out anyway.

The Point is D* does Not Provide any Sports teams in the Philadelphia Market, no matter whose fault we think it is.

All other providers don't get NFL ST either, so whose fault is that?

D* wants to try and pull a fast one on it competition, well its only fair the others fight back.

The terrestrial loophole was closed over a year ago as Iceberg pointed out while blaming it. Further, as a condition of the NBC merger, additional conditions were supposedly placed on Comcast to address this issue.

As Iceberg also pointed out, it is likely that Comcast is asking exorbitant prices for the privilege. I restate his observation if for no other reason than to show the correct spelling of exorbitant. ;)

I live in another area (Pacific Northwet) where Comcast has the big sports contracts (Portland Trailblazers and University of Oregon Ducks) and we're suffering as well.

The $5 service was set up for Directv customers who had more than one residence; a vacation home maybe.
I'm reasonably sure that such a program never existed. For as long as I can remember, the rules have been decidedly against having service in multiple residences simultaneously.

The $5 mirroring fee (now $6) was for additional receivers connected to the same phone line.

All other providers don't get NFL ST either, so whose fault is that?

It is the fault of the other providers. The NFL clearly stated that it only wanted one provider and put the package up for open bidding. Why this keeps coming up and why people fail to see the difference between between buying exclusive rights to an OUT OF MARKET package and selling a non exclusive IN MARKET CHANNEL is a mystery to me.

It is the fault of the other providers. The NFL clearly stated that it only wanted one provider and put the package up for open bidding. Why this keeps coming up and why people fail to see the difference between between buying exclusive rights to an OUT OF MARKET package and selling a non exclusive IN MARKET CHANNEL is a mystery to me.
I don't buy that!
D* paid a Billion dollars for it to have exclusive rights.
Your going to tell me that the NFL would rather have only 19 million customers with the option of viewing it , then about 100 million.
NO way!!!

NFL said if you want it exclusive only , Then give me your life savings, and D* accepted and everyone else said go F yourself.

Why is this so hard to understand?

As Iceberg also pointed out, it is likely that Comcast is asking exorbitant prices for the privilege. I restate his observation if for no other reason than to show the correct spelling of exorbitant. ;)

5 other Providers in the Philly Sports DMA had no issues with the asking price.

Comcast must hate D* and we know they hate Dish, everyone does.

I don't buy that!
D* paid a Billion dollars for it to have exclusive rights.
Your going to tell me that the NFL would rather have only 19 million customers with the option of viewing it , then about 100 million.
NO way!!!

NFL said if you want it exclusive only , Then give me your life savings, and D* accepted and everyone else said go F yourself.

Why is this so hard to understand?

That is EXACTLY what I'm saying.

If the NFL sold that package to any cable or sat operator that wanted it, they'd likely get less in total than they get now. DirecTV was the only one willing to pony up and they may well be losing money on it. But they use it as a loss leader to keep subscribers. You must remember that the NFL has big bucks contracts with the networks. The network affiliates have big bucks contracts with the advertisers which would suffer mightily if everyone had access to cheap Sunday Ticket subscriptions. Local ratings would go down. That means lower advertising for affiliates. Unhappy affiliates mean less money for the networks and less money for sports contracts. The money from the Sunday Ticket while significant would not be worth ruining those relationships.

So, it's an exclusive and DirecTV is happy and NFL is quite happy. Most important the network affiliates are happy that only a limited number of people can tune to out of market games which keeps most of the eyeballs on their games. Finally, keep in mind that subscriber numbers don't matter here. DTV pays a flat rate to the NFL. They would still pay the NFL about $800 million a year even if nobody subscribed.

Comcast lost a lawsuit last year regarding distribution of can Philly and they are currently appealing the decision. In other words, the loophole has been closed yet Comcast doesn't care so much. They are breaking the law (since this decision) by not making the broadcast available.

Further, part of the agreement for the Comcast/NBC merger states that Comcast cannot withhold programming from other tv programming service providers. Directv and dish both see this as meaning that Comcast must allow for rights to broadcast to them; however Comcast doesn't see this as having anything to do with csn Philly. Again they are renegging on their deal.

There has been no such rulings regarding the NFL Sunday ticket.

So tell me again who is in the wrong here.

Comcast lost a lawsuit last year regarding distribution of can Philly and they are currently appealing the decision. In other words, the loophole has been closed yet Comcast doesn't care so much. They are breaking the law (since this decision) by not making the broadcast available.

Further, part of the agreement for the Comcast/NBC merger states that Comcast cannot withhold programming from other tv programming service providers. Directv and dish both see this as meaning that Comcast must allow for rights to broadcast to them; however Comcast doesn't see this as having anything to do with csn Philly. Again they are renegging on their deal.

There has been no such rulings regarding the NFL Sunday ticket.

So tell me again who is in the wrong here.
What Law is comcast breaking?

Their signal is there to broadcast, Why does every provider BUT D* and E* have Comcast Philly in the Philadelphia area?

You make it sound like D* can't have it, When really its D* doesn't want to pay what comcast wants for it.

Well D* would have no problem paying for it , if they didn't use all their extra cash on Seasonal Sports packs that no one can afford.
Sorry but I strongly believe we would have a lot more HD, cheaper lease upgrades, and cheaper prices if D* didn't have that Huge Debt to the NFL!

harshness said:
I'm reasonably sure that such a program never existed. For as long as I can remember, the rules have been decidedly against having service in multiple residences simultaneously.

The $5 mirroring fee (now $6) was for additional receivers connected to the same phone line.

I am (not reasonably) sure that it did exist. In 1998 I had the program, or some equivalent to it, and I used it for Directv at 2 addresses. I lived in the suburbs of Philadelphia and had an apt in center city for the weekends. I had Directv at both addresses and had 1 bill. Directv was aware of it and in fact had even sent service men to both locations.... So nanny nanny poo poo on you.

The fact is that, as I mentioned, their signal goes everywhere and is captured by a dish and then decoded by a receiver. Where any of them are located, Directv has no way of knowing or keeping track of. If you could install the dish yourself, you could move one of your existing receivers or order additional ones and put it ANYWHERE,

Also, phone lines are not required at all for Directv service.

Hemi 6.1 said:
What Law is comcast breaking?

Their signal is there to broadcast, Why does every provider BUT D* and E* have Comcast Philly in the Philadelphia area?

You make it sound like D* can't have it, When really its D* doesn't want to pay what comcast wants for it.

Well D* would have no problem paying for it , if they didn't use all their extra cash on Seasonal Sports packs that no one can afford.
Sorry but I strongly believe we would have a lot more HD, cheaper lease upgrades, and cheaper prices if D* didn't have that Huge Debt to the NFL!

Since you appear to be a combination of lazy (not researching to find out what law), ignorant (speaking to something you have no idea about) and belligerent (insisting that you are correct when you are not), I will help you out. See this link for one:

http://www.twice.com/article/445114...Loophole.php?nid=2402&source=link&rid=5695007

Notice specifically the 3rd paragraph where it explains the law Comcast is breaking. You, I would assume, own a computer and most likely have enough (albeit probably barely enough) intelligence to google, read and (this one may be a stretch) comprehend what you have read, and could have easily found this info out on your own.

And Directv is owned by fox whose parent company is news Corp who own a stake in almost every form of media in almost every major market in the world. I highly doubt they used even a tenth of their extra cash to purchase their Sunday ticket rights. If YOU can't afford their seasonal sports packs then maybe you shouldn't be so poor.

Again, there was no Law,
2nd its available
3 rd D* doesn't want to pay for it.

So again, you brought nothing to the table.

Enjoy watching your Phillies on D*,
I know I will enjoy them on Blue Ridge Cable, A company with Comcast Philly that has nothing at all to do with Comcast.

In the mean time Keep defending D* While soon enough you'll be paying your $350 ST bill

Status
Please reply by conversation.