Pics of C Band LNBF on 1.2M CM Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ziggy1222

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
I just got this up and running today...mounted a C Band LNBF without the scalar on a 1.2M Channel Master Dish. Got it pointed on G16 at 99 degrees and receiving World Harvest, networks and a few others in Central Texas.

Cband1.2-1.JPG

Cband1.2-2.JPG

Cband1.2-3.JPG

Cband1.2-4.JPG

Cband1.2-5.JPG

I'm sorry this should be in the F T A Discussion Forum...but I don't know how to move it. Still too much of a newbie !

Last edited:
I moved it...only mods can move threads ;)

VERY cool pics :) Are you going to try any other satellites? 121 is very strong too :)

suggestions for tweaking:

I think the conical scalar would improve your signal Quality by the most.
However, careful use of a flat scalar can bump you up some, too.
In another thread, Linuxman notched a spare flat scalar to fit around the support arms.
Not recommending that right now, but something to look into for the future. :)

With the right adjustment, you should see quite a few signals across many C-band satellites.
Keep up the good work! - :up

edit:
I don't think you're fully optimized yet, but you should still be able to get all these birds.
Linuxman got 'em on a well-tuned 1.0 meter Primestar.

"Are you going to try any other satellites? 121 is very strong too"

I've got a shed in the way...can't go that far west. What you can't see in the pics is the mount for this 1.2M. I took a polar mount, sawed off the ring, bolted two metal pieces to the remaining crossbars, drilled holes to match the large mount footprint and used a threaded rod to keep the "polar" from swiveling. Got pics of that if interested.

"In another thread, Linuxman notched a spare flat scalar to fit around the support arms.
Not recommending that right now, but something to look into for the future. :)"

I increased the focal distance and it helped the quality quite a bit...front of feedhorn sits back about 35" from the dish. Adding a scalar is mechanically tough that far back.

suggestion for optimizing performance:

See the brackets mounting the scalar to the home-made LNB support arms?
They are a creation of Caddata, and have been built by a number of members.

I suggest you make your own longer LNB arms, and mount a flat scalar on 'em with those brackets.
You won't actually -use- the scalar; it's just a way to mount the LNBF.
Make sure it is located as far away from the dish as possible, while still getting the signal focused into the mouth of the LNBF.
edit: Looking again at PopcornNmore's pix above, maybe you can just use the existing LNB arms.

Now, since the feedhorn near the dish is clear, slide on a flat or conical scalar, and tune for maximum smoke. - :up
Even a flat scalar may be tested without notching it.

Here is one way to know where to put your own LNB on your own support arms.
First, put a Ku LNB on your stock dish, then make the template.
Install your own LNB arms and feedhorn, and locate it accordingly.

I've got a shed in the way...can't go that far west. What you can't see in the pics is the mount for this 1.2M. I took a polar mount, sawed off the ring, bolted two metal pieces to the remaining crossbars, drilled holes to match the large mount footprint and used a threaded rod to keep the "polar" from swiveling. Got pics of that if interested.

bummer. 121W has some interesting things on it

bummer. 121W has some interesting things on it

I just finished digging a new hole out about another 4' after the sun went down. I may try and move her in a few days...maybe can report something afterwards.

See the brackets mounting the scalar to the home-made LNB support arms?
They are a creation of Caddata, and have been built by a number of members.

I suggest you make your own longer LNB arms, and mount a flat scalar on 'em with those brackets.
You won't actually -use- the scalar; it's just a way to mount the LNBF.
Make sure it is located as far away from the dish as possible, while still getting the signal focused into the mouth of the LNBF.
edit: Looking again at PopcornNmore's pix above, maybe you can just use the existing LNB arms.

Now, since the feedhorn near the dish is clear, slide on a flat or conical scalar, and tune for maximum smoke. - :up
Even a flat scalar may be tested without notching it.

Here is one way to know where to put your own LNB on your own support arms.
First, put a Ku LNB on your stock dish, then make the template.
Install your own LNB arms and feedhorn, and locate it accordingly.

Very cool on the brackets mounting the scalar...PVC elbows may even fit on the ends of those arms. The upper two arms on the Channelmaster have bolts threaded into the ends-could be a way to support something.

But one thing I'm confused about...if you are not using the scalar but only a way to mount the LNBF then only your stock KU LNBF focal distance matters, right? In other words you don't care how I mount it or if I have a scalar-just make sure its aiming straight to the center of the dish at the same focal distance.

Yes, that's correct.
But the scalar-uses-as-a-bracket, guarantees:
- to hold your LNBF, and
- spreads your support arms enough to get a SECOND scalar on the front of your LNBF!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)