Picture artifacts on Rescue me

machouse

Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
missouri
Has anyone noticed on Rescue me , that especially with the characters faces the picture will go back and fourth between grainy and clear , I also noticed it on a VOD movie that I watched this weekend but all other channels seem to be fine , could it be my receiver (vip622) or my tv (50" Samsung plasma) or my hdmi cable ? Its really quit annoying ..

Yes! I thought I was the only one. I noticed it on last week's Rescue Me (haven't watched yet this week). I also noticed this for shows on Fox (KCPQ13 here in Seattle) but figured it was a local channel issue. And until Rescue Me, Fox was the *only* place I saw it. It's probably not a coincidence that they're both News Corp (Fox) channels, right? Noticed it especially on House and Fringe.

720p vs. 1080i? I dunno but, yes, for sure I've seen it.

FWIW, I have a 50" Panasonic plasma and 622.

it's compression artifact caused by the amount of compression of the signal. may even be coming to Dish that way from supplier since I even see it on my non-satellite OTA tuner...

FOXNews has been pixelating and breaking up with the sound dropping off this late afternoon into evening. I just did a power plug reset and so far it's OK but it's only been a few minutes.

FOXNews has been pixelating and breaking up with the sound dropping off this late afternoon into evening. I just did a power plug reset and so far it's OK but it's only been a few minutes.

I'm watching a recording of Special Report right now and it's breaking up like crazy. Glad to hear it's not just me.

REscue me is always grainy in pq. I have watched this show on different receviers; 211k with dvr software, the 722k, 922 and the 622 and 722 dvrs. All show the grainy picture quality and ONLY on this show. I think they purposely do this to make the drama seem more gritty and surreal . It distracts me from the show because all I can see is crappy pq. But if you want to send an email to the dishquality folks they will answer you.

dishquality@echostar.com

The issue from the OP (and me too) is not that it's artistically grainy or not (Battlestar Galactica had this for sure), but that it fluctuates quickly between being grainy and being clear/clean, especially on skin tones. This is a PQ issue that is affecting certain shows on certain networks - it's not everything on FX and it happens in other shows on FOX (Fringe, House most notably, but not, for example, American Idol or The Good Guys, other shows we watch on Fox).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts