Playa del Carmen - Mexico - HELP

I am now clearly convinced that using the smaller dish will not work. In reading the voluminous Mexico posts it is clear that I need at least a 1.8M steel dish with top equipment to have a chance of capturing the satellite signal.

Is there any difference in going after satellite 72 or 129 in my quest for better satellite reception?

I know that in Mexico City a 6 ft dish (1.80 mts) pointed to 129 is giving a signal between 18 and 30

ergo1 said:
I am now clearly convinced that using the smaller dish will not work. In reading the voluminous Mexico posts it is clear that I need at least a 1.8M steel dish with top equipment to have a chance of capturing the satellite signal.

Is there any difference in going after satellite 72 or 129 in my quest for better satellite reception?

As you probably saw in Satbeams, niether 72 nor 129 is in our favor given our geography. I was still getting 110 with very good signal quality but there isn't much there unless you like Arab or Spanish language programming. There is some HD. Even this requires at least 1.8m. You will probably be able to get 61.5 from Playa with a 1.2m as even the new satellite has a decent footprint there. This is mostly HD programming but may not be a viable solution in the near future due to further moves at 61.5 according to some posts I have read recently.

As you probably saw in Satbeams, niether 72 nor 129 is in our favor given our geography. I was still getting 110 with very good signal quality but there isn't much there unless you like Arab or Spanish language programming. There is some HD. Even this requires at least 1.8m. You will probably be able to get 61.5 from Playa with a 1.2m as even the new satellite has a decent footprint there. This is mostly HD programming but may not be a viable solution in the near future due to further moves at 61.5 according to some posts I have read recently.

Luckily I have until December to make a firm decision about how to address the satellite issue. My inclination is to wait and see what Dish does with this whole mess.

Given all the great information I've gathered from your post and others, I am going to add a 1.8M dish to my rooftop, unless we lose 61.5 and then I may try either Canadian TV or Slingbox.

However in the interim, I wondered if there is a difference in reception between the composition of satellite dishes. Metal vs fiberglass? Or possibly differences between manufactures - Channel Master vs X brand? All opinions welcomed!

I'm not sure if you can only have 61.5 without 119 as you have to set up your receiver in a multisatellite configuration that expects 119 to be the main signal. When i originally set my system up, 119 had decent strength and i had to install it first and then add additional satellites. Maybe one of the others can add something on setting up only 61.5.

There must be other members from Cancun/Playa that can shed more light here. As you are not in a hurry, give someone a chance to answer.

For antennas, I have been using fiberglass ones made in Mexico by Agraz. These are relatively good quality but definately the metal Channel Masters will have more gain for a given diameter; they are jowever much more expensive to buy and then import and transport to Mexico.

Do they have a site

I'm not sure if you can only have 61.5 without 119 as you have to set up your receiver in a multisatellite configuration that expects 119 to be the main signal. When i originally set my system up, 119 had decent strength and i had to install it first and then add additional satellites. Maybe one of the others can add something on setting up only 61.5.

There must be other members from Cancun/Playa that can shed more light here. As you are not in a hurry, give someone a chance to answer.

For antennas, I have been using fiberglass ones made in Mexico by Agraz. These are relatively good quality but definately the metal Channel Masters will have more gain for a given diameter; they are jowever much more expensive to buy and then import and transport to Mexico.

Does this manufacture Agraz have a web site? Would like to see their products.

Luckily I have until December to make a firm decision about how to address the satellite issue. My inclination is to wait and see what Dish does with this whole mess.

Given all the great information I've gathered from your post and others, I am going to add a 1.8M dish to my rooftop, unless we lose 61.5 and then I may try either Canadian TV or Slingbox.
Hopefully you will have better results with a 1.8 mts dish, I was reviewing the reports on Mexico signal issues, and apparently Cozumel was more affected than Cancun, reports from Cancun after the transition were not so bad..

whatchel1 said:
Does this manufacture Agraz have a web site? Would like to see their products.

www.antenas.com.mx

I have 2 of his 1.8m and one 2.4 m. The pricing is reasonable, quality is good and shipping is incredibly cheap for the size and weight. I think the 2.4m was around $50 US for shipping from Guadalajara to Tabasco. I had some wind damage once and needed new lnb support arms and he even sent me those to repair the antenna.

Hopefully you will have better results with a 1.8 mts dish, I was reviewing the reports on Mexico signal issues, and apparently Cozumel was more affected than Cancun, reports from Cancun after the transition were not so bad..

As you well know, if DN users in Cozumel are having signal problems then Playa users will probably share the same problems. And for those out there that are interested in local geography - Cozumel is an island that sits 20 miles due east of Playa del Carmen. Cancun, on the other hand, is 40 miles North of Playa.

Does anyone on this forum have any guess how long this "transition" will be? Or, is it always ongoing?

Thanks

Antenas de Jalisco

I have 2 of his 1.8m and one 2.4 m. The pricing is reasonable, quality is good and shipping is incredibly cheap for the size and weight. I think the 2.4m was around $50 US for shipping from Guadalajara to Tabasco. I had some wind damage once and needed new lnb support arms and he even sent me those to repair the antenna.

Now when I was looking at their site the offset dishes looked more like stamped steel than fiberglass. Do they only sell inside of Mexico?

Last edited:
whatchel1 said:
Now when I was looking at their site the offset dishes looked more like stamped steel than fiberglass. Do they only sell inside of Mexico?

They are fiberglass. I'm sure he would sell and arrange to ship to you via DHL or UPS but this may be a little expensive and customs may be due. This possibly won't be too bad if NAFTA covers antennas. The $50 little old truck with a tarp and 4 guys who live in the truck shipping method is only an option for local deliveries ; )

The price is very competitive even factoring in shipping and possible duties; especially for 2.4m models where the price is very low compared to some US options.

US distributor

They are fiberglass. I'm sure he would sell and arrange to ship to you via DHL or UPS but this may be a little expensive and customs may be due. This possibly won't be too bad if NAFTA covers antennas. The $50 little old truck with a tarp and 4 guys who live in the truck shipping method is only an option for local deliveries ; )

The price is very competitive even factoring in shipping and possible duties; especially for 2.4m models where the price is very low compared to some US options.

I was wondering if he has a US distribution deal? How good are these antennas guys? Have you have had much experience with them? The mark up on these type of antennas is pretty good Prodelin and other brands charge some pretty hefty prices for their antennas so it might be worth him trying to find someone to distribute them. I know someone that might consider dealing them here in the states if there is a good some money to be made.

whatchel1 said:
I was wondering if he has a US distribution deal? How good are these antennas guys? Have you have had much experience with them? The mark up on these type of antennas is pretty good Prodelin and other brands charge some pretty hefty prices for their antennas so it might be worth him trying to find someone to distribute them. I know someone that might consider dealing them here in the states if there is a good some money to be made.

The only experience I have is buying 3 antennas from them over the last 6 or 7 years. Quality seems good. Talk to them to see what you can work out. I'm sure someone there speaks English being in Guadalajara and in the sat business.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)