Poll: How long do you think it will take till Cable offers Ala Cart channels like Canada does? :)

How long do you think it will take till Cable offers Ala Cart channels like Canada does?

• Soon as we are heading in the same direction Canada was until they were forced

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • It will happen but it may still be awhile

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • They are probably already talking about considering it as an option

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No chance. It will be a cold day in hell before US companies give in

Votes: 20 83.3%

• Total voters

TheSa|nt

Original poster
Feb 19, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
The question is as simple as that.

How long do you think it will take till Cable offers Ala Cart channels like Canada does?

I just dumped Cox here in the Valley because of the prices continuing to climb and I was paying $70 for basic extended cable (no digital boxes, no fancy channel or movie packages....just the first 70 something channels pretty much). I don't watch a lot of TV so I said "enough". Cox tried everything they could....not to keep me at what I had....no...their only solutions were to offer me additional TV options instead which only raised the price (and these people are educated here in America....LIVE....in America, what on earth are we going to do if the educational system is producing this kind of results). I told them to call me when they offer Ala Cart like Canada does, and I will come back for the 5-6 channels I need :)

Anyways , you have the question!

Not going to happen. The business model is to force as much as possible into the basic tier. Further the networks will generally offer deals that require adding marginal channels in order to get the ones people want ("Yeah, you can have the Juke Box, but youse gotta take the pool table too")

If this happens, it will be because networks break down and start offering internet bundles. But I predict if they do, it will still be bundles where in order to get ESPN, you will need to sign up for a 12 channel ABC package that includes ABC Family and Disney Reggae.

You fail to realize that not every channel is ala-carte in Canada

Most of the channels are NOT ala-carte but are carried in bundles. So if you want something you have to take the whole bundle. Also there are limits on the amount of "pick and pay" (as Shaw calls it) options. You can only select up to 6 channels (3 sets of 2).

Believe me...I had Canadian TV for about 5 years and when its all said and done a package deal was better. Great example
Basic package with Shaw (that you can add programing to) is 47.46
bundles are 5 bucks a pop

or I can get a bundle that includes a bunch of channels from 6 different themes for 15 bucks more

I may only need 4 channels if that was the case. Then I could go OTA for everything else. I might spend 10-15 bucks for channels and call it good. I have had enough though of paying for packages that I don't want. I looked at every individual channel I got with Cox for $70 and realized that 80% of the channels I didn't watch, would never watch or couldn't even if I wanted to because they were in Spanish or something else. *I* was paying to have those channels...without choice..so I quite. I throw my hands up and said "no more".

The issue is you CANT just get 4 channels. You would have to take a base package before you can add anything to it

Dont get me wrong....other than my locals, my local RSN and maybe the Big Ten Network (since I live in MN) there are 3 channels I watch alot
A&E
History
TruTV

and 2 channels for one show (USA and SyFy)...wrestling

The rest I don't really watch. So if we could get the channels ala-carte I would. But since the channel providers are hell bent on not allowing it because they're afraid their crappy channels will go under. Great example is when Directv and Viacom had their pissing match. Seems like the only channel folks talked about was Comedy Central and once in a while VH1 classic. Oh and one lunatic went on and on about losing TeenNick for Degrassi or something. Other than that nobody cared about the other channels. But I got dollars to donuts that Viacom would say "oh you want Comedy...then you gotta take MTV,VH1, BET and Nick Jr too"

The only way it happens in the US is if internet based channels eventually have programming that can defeat cable. It will have to be new channels like netflix is trying to do.

Bogus premise by the OP. As in all the other posts about this, many acknowledge something will have to change. The only afforable complete A La Carte will have to come via the internet. Which at this point is almost there in some respects. But I saw some complaining at the per episode cost when they looked into it for AMC also.

Last edited:
The issue is you CANT just get 4 channels. You would have to take a base package before you can add anything to it

Dont get me wrong....other than my locals, my local RSN and maybe the Big Ten Network (since I live in MN) there are 3 channels I watch alot
A&E
History
TruTV

and 2 channels for one show (USA and SyFy)...wrestling

The rest I don't really watch. So if we could get the channels ala-carte I would. But since the channel providers are hell bent on not allowing it because they're afraid their crappy channels will go under. Great example is when Directv and Viacom had their pissing match. Seems like the only channel folks talked about was Comedy Central and once in a while VH1 classic. Oh and one lunatic went on and on about losing TeenNick for Degrassi or something. Other than that nobody cared about the other channels. But I got dollars to donuts that Viacom would say "oh you want Comedy...then you gotta take MTV,VH1, BET and Nick Jr too"

Oh well, guess I won't be going back to Cox at all then :) As long as they are screwing people over, free with always sound better to me. I am too proud a person to just give in and accept something I don't agree with (some would say stubborn but hey...I'm saving money and pride ^_^)

Bogus premise by the OP. As in all the other posts about this, many acknowledge something will have to change. The only afforable complete A La Carte will have to come via the internet. Which at this point is almost there in some respects. But I saw some complaining at the per episode cost when they looked into it for AMC also.

I'm open to the internet based solutions. I proudly pay the cost for Netflix streaming because the price is reasonable. It did suck that they separated the disc service but then again I only used that option once or twice in the beginning. If Netflix offered channel streaming options on top of the library they already have, I'd be set as I have no issue replacing TV with an internet solution.

well eventually you will be able to buy only the channels u want with a device such as a roku..ofcourse you will be paying $80 to$100 for the high speed internet connection..cable company wins no matter how you cut it

There is a bill in some congressional committee to require ala carte programming. It has been there for several years and probably be there forever.

Congress takes care of the rich fat cat media owners and sport team owners because these people can and do make significant campaign contributions and do.

If things get nasty team owners can always tell the local congressmen and senators you mess around with our goose that lays the golden eggs and we will move our team to podunk and be sure to tell Joe six pack it was all your fault.

Money talks! If the NFL package went on Netflix the NFL would demand as much or more money from them than they are getting from Direct.

Only 2 possible ways I can see to make true a la carte happen.

1.Cable companies/sat companies start losing customers enough to hurt the bottom line,which in turn hurts all the broadcasters bottom line.Forcing them to change the current model.

2.Fcc/government intervention.

Obviously,the first choice is the only one we as consumers can help to determine.

Canada has a-la-carte? news to me...

Unless your refering to.... after getting the "basics" for 30$ (which is essentially local channels 80% of which can be received OTA) then yeah..pick 10 channels for like 18$.

IIRC, LOOK TV (cell signal) had it right. Pick 20 channels for 20$ Didnt take too long that they were bought out. Interesting though they were using those old DTV RCA balck receivers... the once which were as thick as a brick.

Cheers, K

Only 2 possible ways I can see to make true a la carte happen.

1.Cable companies/sat companies start losing customers enough to hurt the bottom line,which in turn hurts all the broadcasters bottom line.Forcing them to change the current model.

2.Fcc/government intervention.

Obviously,the first choice is the only one we as consumers can help to determine.
Its not the cable companies that have the issue..its the fact that most programming is controlled by 5 or 6 companies

Its not the cable companies that have the issue..its the fact that most programming is controlled by 5 or 6 companies

True but,many of the cable companies also own cable networks.Such as Time Warner,and Comcast.They aren't going to push for ala carte.

I find it funny that they do not allow you to edit your opening post. This prevents you from posting updates to the initial post keeping it current like most people tend to do at forums (ie like the article I just posted above). I looked all over an no edit option. *pfft* :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts