Poor PQ from Dish on Demand???

old corps

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 13, 2005
Mid-Michigan
I've downloaded Outlander from DOD supposedly in HD. I have 66 meg down & 4.5 meg up. My 722K is connected directly to my router via Ethernet. When I view the video, only one box is green for HD quality. Looks like crap, more like SD to me! I've rebooted my modem & router--same thing.
Any suggestions??? I'm currently rebooting the receiver to see if that might help.

Thanks!
Ed

I've downloaded Outlander from DOD supposedly in HD. I have 66 meg down & 4.5 meg up. My 722K is connected directly to my router via Ethernet. When I view the video, only one box is green for HD quality. Looks like crap, more like SD to me! I've rebooted my modem & router--same thing.
Any suggestions??? I'm currently rebooting the receiver to see if that might help.

Thanks!
Ed

Well rebooting the receiver did nothing for the pq. After doing some searching it appears that this is a very common problem with no solutions. I hardly ever try to use the on demand feature and thought it was decent when I used quite awhile ago. I don't have HD TVs and projectors to watch crap like this. Just another reason to consider Charter.

Ed

I've commented on this before. I was told I was wrong and imagining things, even though the quality between DOD and VOD was HUGE (like YouTube compared to blu-ray). My internet speed is not the issue either.

Apathy on the part of any official or unofficial support caused me to abandon bothering with DOD. A neat idea otherwise with a large library, but I'm not willing to suffer through such horrible picture quality.

Reactions: old corps
My On Demand streaming looked crummy when I had a 722K and now most of the time looks great on the Hoppers. Same internet connection and network. Just the facts. :)

Reactions: osu1991
I've commented on this before. I was told I was wrong and imagining things, even though the quality between DOD and VOD was HUGE (like YouTube compared to blu-ray). My internet speed is not the issue either.

Apathy on the part of any official or unofficial support caused me to abandon bothering with DOD. A neat idea otherwise with a large library, but I'm not willing to suffer through such horrible picture quality.[/QUOTE

Exactly! Couldn't put it any better. I really thought when I last used it (not for a year or two?) it looked pretty good. For me it's absolutely not watchable.

Ed

My On Demand streaming looked crummy when I had a 722K and now most of the time looks great on the Hoppers. Same internet connection and network. Just the facts. :)

Looks like crap on my 722 too, but looks good on my sisters HWS. I have 100/10 cable internet and she has 12/1 DSL. I quit even trying to use it on 722.

I have 1 TV. I get no benefit from migrating to the Hopper and paying the higher monthly fees. On top of that, I remember a number of features that the 722 did better than the Hopper (or that were simply not present in the Hopper) which further deterred me from bothering. I can't remember the full list, but I recall the presenting the ID# for a PPV movie so that you could rent it online (by redeeming a PPV cert). Answer at the time was all PPV cert redemptions had to be called-in. (I know, seems trivial, but there were others too I'm forgetting).

I can see Hopper having a better chipset, but could that really be the difference?

BTW, what would the difference be in monthly fees for a single HWS vs a single ViP722 series?

I can see Hopper having a better chipset, but could that really be the difference?

BTW, what would the difference be in monthly fees for a single HWS vs a single ViP722 series?

The difference is $5 a month, which IMHO is a bargain. (shhh! don't tell Dish). :)

I have hws & everything that I download via on demand is not HD quality...........have been told it is my internet speed, but according to op his internet speed, which is faster than mine has no bearing either

Single 722=$7 DVr service fee, can do up to TVs by itself.
Single HWS=$12 Dvr service fee, can due up to 1 TV by itself, but with 3 tuners, and sling capability and transfer built in.

The difference is $5 a month, which IMHO is a bargain. (shhh! don't tell Dish). :)

I already got nicked for another +$5/mo. for 0 added benefit when they just decided to up everyone's charges. Still bitter about that, I have no interest for voluntarily taking on another +$5/mo. charge for again no added benefit. What would I get? Nicer looking menus? Not worth +$60/yr. I'd subscribe to Netflix before I paid Dish +$5/mo. just to make DOS movies look better than YouTube. Especially considering that by all rights I should already be getting DOS movies in HD with what I'm paying already.

I have hws & everything that I download via on demand is not HD quality...........have been told it is my internet speed, but according to op his internet speed, which is faster than mine has no bearing either

I have over 20 MBit/s download. If that's not enough for DOS, then Dish is deficient. Since it's more than enough for Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, EpixHD

Single 722=$7 DVr service fee, can do up to TVs by itself.
Single HWS=$12 Dvr service fee, can due up to 1 TV by itself, but with 3 tuners, and sling capability and transfer built in.

I already have a Sling Adapter. I've found it to be of little value and it never gets used.

I already got nicked for another +$5/mo. for 0 added benefit when they just decided to up everyone's charges. Still bitter about that, I have no interest for voluntarily taking on another +$5/mo. charge for again no added benefit. What would I get? Nicer looking menus? Not worth +$60/yr. I'd subscribe to Netflix before I paid Dish +$5/mo. just to make DOS movies look better than YouTube. Especially considering that by all rights I should already be getting DOS movies in HD with what I'm paying already.

I have over 20 MBit/s download. If that's not enough for DOS, then Dish is deficient. Since it's more than enough for Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, EpixHD

I already have a Sling Adapter. I've found it to be of little value and it never gets used.

With your curmudgeon attitude I'm sure anything else I could say about the Hopper, or Dish for that matter, would just be be a waste of time. So enjoy what you have and you won't know what you're missing. After all, ignorance is bliss.

Reactions: navychop
I already got nicked for another +$5/mo. for 0 added benefit when they just decided to up everyone's charges. Still bitter about that, I have no interest for voluntarily taking on another +$5/mo. charge for again no added benefit. What would I get? Nicer looking menus? Not worth +$60/yr. I'd subscribe to Netflix before I paid Dish +$5/mo. just to make DOS movies look better than YouTube. Especially considering that by all rights I should already be getting DOS movies in HD with what I'm paying already
They have added additional services, and maintained channels for higher costs, so the alternative would be to keep your price the same as it was, and drop a significant amount of channels, such as the Turner stations, FNC/FBC, all the Disney channels, and all the CBS stations. Also, take away LHN, and SEC, and all the streaming apps added in the last 12 months, such as Watch ESPN, the Disney app, SHOAnyTime. The satellite they are preparing to launch also likely would by have happened... Just to name a few of the things that $5/month covers.

the alternative would be to keep your price the same as it was, and drop a significant amount of channels

Where do I sign up? As long as I can choose the channels, I'll gladly part with about 75% of them. Even the ones I used to like got changed... for example, the programming that used to be on The History Channel got moved to H2, which is two packages up. Same with The Discovery Channel (the programming that doesn't suck got moved to The Science Channel). Both the original channels are now exclusively "reality" show junk and other things that have nothing to do with the channel's original namesake. And the list goes on...

Oh no, there would be no ala carte still. It would still be bundled channels, and you would still get billed the same, but without all the stuff I mentioned, plus more.

As far as prigramming and the channels they air on... Blame the networks. Dish, DTV, Cox, Comcast etc have no control over that.

Content that I view from Netflix, Amazon, Vudu looks outstanding. Just about anything recent honestly looks like bluray and that's on up to a 120" screen.

I have no need or desire for a Hopper either. With the use of HDMI splitters, EHDs & mirroring my 722 & 722K feed 5 HD TVs & 2 HD projectors just fine.

Ed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)