Price increases in February 2014 (UPDATED!)

Common misconception. It's how much it doesn't go up virtually never that it would go down.

Has anyone actually ever had their bill go down? You know without changing your package or dropping this and that? I'm pretty sure I have never had my bill go down for any TV service. Well except for promo pricing when I switched.

With a Tivo, you can keep your recordings if you switch cable providers or drop cable completely. And the 4-tuner Roamio can also be used to record ota. So it does give you flexibility that pay-provider dvrs lack.

Charter is the only cable provider in my area so I won't be taking TiVo to a new provider unless I move. Uverse is in the process of moving into my area but I don't think the TiVo is compatible with them either.

I would love to be a cord cutter. I would use a TiVo for OTA and I could easily get the rest of the shows I watch through ITunes at a lower price. The big exception is live sports. I do watch quite a bit of live sports I could live without the rest of it if my MLB.tv subscription would allow me to watch the Tigers in Michigan.

And to think, I picked Dish in December 2001 because they had a $9.99/month special. I'm paying almost a dozen times as much now.

And to think, I picked Dish in December 2001 because they had a $9.99/month special. I'm paying almost a dozen times as much now.
Problem is, it's not like the competition is whole lot better. I left Comcast's TV portion almost 4 years ago, and they still have the same basic problems. More expensive, for less HD channels.

Ouch! Dos is going up to $6/month along with Encore going up a buck. However, the Encores in the mini-pack are SD without the main Encore HD feed. Ugh. Maybe we should just go to the Welcome Pack (maybe without the Encores too) and call it a day...XD Maybe we should even consider dropping a receiver...XD

To think...years ago Dish and satellite TV in general was so exciting. I thought AT250 was such a bargain at one time. However, as time has passed, I find us watching less and less TV and even listening to the Sirius XM channels more than watching anything...A lot of the channel changes by the companies that own them has made me finding AT250 not as great as it once was. So, it is not all Dish's fault. The increases are sure to push more people away.

Ouch! Dos is going up to $6/month along with Encore going up a buck. However, the Encores in the mini-pack are SD without the main Encore HD feed. Ugh. Maybe we should just go to the Welcome Pack (maybe without the Encores too) and call it a day...XD Maybe we should even consider dropping a receiver...XD

To think...years ago Dish and satellite TV in general was so exciting. I thought AT250 was such a bargain at one time. However, as time has passed, I find us watching less and less TV and even listening to the Sirius XM channels more than watching anything...A lot of the channel changes by the companies that own them has made me finding AT250 not as great as it once was. So, it is not all Dish's fault. The increases are sure to push more people away.

Don't forget that the general public was asking for more and more and more. We ask for more channels and we ask for more HD. We want DVRs on all our receivers. Finally people are seeing that is cost a lot of money to have all of this and they want to go back to the way it was. It seems it's a little late since the networks have gotten greedy from people being willing to pay it for so long.

It reminds me of electronics and appliance. Customers have been demanding cheaper prices for years and a lot of products, especially TVs, have come down in price drastically. The problem is though, the quality has gone down drastically. Manufactures shipped their factories out of the country for cheaper labor and they use cheaper, plastic parts. Now all I hear from customers is how crappy the products have become and how they just want the old stuff back.

The problem is that people still complain about having to pay more for quality. Appliances and TVs were just as expensive years ago and they were quality products that lasted over $10 years. If you want those products back then be willing to pay for what those products should be worth now.

Ouch! Dos is going up to $6/month along with Encore going up a buck.
Seemed inevitable. Dos had a smaller increase than average the last time.

The premium 250 channels have lost a lot of luster over the years of dumbing down programming. Even the Cooking Channel is starting to have more non-scripted shows.

I think the EHD has also spoiled some. So much space to save stuff that you start to run out of things live you want to watch other than live sports.

I still don't get why BB@Home can no longer be added to the Welcome Pack.
I didn't realize that we could have referral codes in our signature lines...

.... Now all I hear from customers is how crappy the products have become and how they just want the old stuff back.......

I bitterly regret tossing and replacing an antique electric dryer a few years ago. All it needed was a new heating element. Sturdy, simple.

I bitterly regret tossing and replacing an antique electric dryer a few years ago. All it needed was a new heating element. Sturdy, simple.

That's too bad, what brand was it? If it was a Maytag over 10 years old then it would be worth about $200 in good condition.

We actually have a waiting list for used appliances. When we get an old Maytag washer in it doesn't take long for us to sell it. We get anything from $100 to $250 for an old one that's in good shape. We warranty ours for 90 days so we're able to get a little more than the average person though.

Don't forget that the general public was asking for more and more and more. We ask for more channels and we ask for more HD. We want DVRs on all our receivers. Finally people are seeing that is cost a lot of money to have all of this and they want to go back to the way it was. It seems it's a little late since the networks have gotten greedy from people being willing to pay it for so long.

I speculate that Dish receivers (including the hopper when you consider adding a joey) cost Dish less today than the original Dish receivers. Everything is done on one chip now that does it all. So, 2 TVs with the original Dish receivers vs 1 Hopper/1 Joey I bet the Hopper/Joey costs less.

Considering fees, Dish probably makes most its money on receivers. The single 211 customer, just paying the package fee is probably not profitable to Dish.

What really has raised costs are local channels. Not only are broadcasters starting to demand huge fees, but it required Dish to build huge expensive spot beam satellites to carry all of them. Not to mention having to have a bunch of uplink centers to handle all the locals.

I speculate that Dish receivers (including the hopper when you consider adding a joey) cost Dish less today than the original Dish receivers. Everything is done on one chip now that does it all. So, 2 TVs with the original Dish receivers vs 1 Hopper/1 Joey I bet the Hopper/Joey costs less.

Considering fees, Dish probably makes most its money on receivers. The single 211 customer, just paying the package fee is probably not profitable to Dish.

What really has raised costs are local channels. Not only are broadcasters starting to demand huge fees, but it required Dish to build huge expensive spot beam satellites to carry all of them. Not to mention having to have a bunch of uplink centers to handle all the locals.

You're probably right. Those disputes with the local channels along with sports channels have to be killing all providers.

Well like a lot of others here, I'm not enamored of the new rates. My bill will increase about $15/month unless I make some changes.

So being the kind of guy that figures if I pay more, I should get more. Here's the deal Dish. If all the premiums that are available in HD are offered, I'll consider keeping them year 'round as I usually do. If it stays like it is now, nope. I'll turn them on and off when something I really just have to have is offered. Assuming diddly squat changes in HD premium offerings, I suspect that I'll be dropping them at least part time.

And since I'm now talking about dropping...
How much do I need multi-sport? - nope, gone!
And BB@Home? Is it really worth it with the new increases considered? - nope, it'll be gone too.
And what is so damned important about the 2 channels more in AT250 from AT200? Answer, not much, or not enough to pay more. So down we'll go.

All after the increases kick in of course.

And then I'll be watching to see what D* ends up doing, or maybe even consider Mediacom (blech!!). Switching might make more sense and doing it early and as often as financially feasible! :)

Well like a lot of others here, I'm not enamored of the new rates. My bill will increase about $15/month unless I make some changes.

So being the kind of guy that figures if I pay more, I should get more. Here's the deal Dish. If all the premiums that are available in HD are offered, I'll consider keeping them year 'round as I usually do. If it stays like it is now, nope. I'll turn them on and off when something I really just have to have is offered. Assuming diddly squat changes in HD premium offerings, I suspect that I'll be dropping them at least part time.

And since I'm now talking about dropping...
How much do I need multi-sport? - nope, gone!
And BB@Home? Is it really worth it with the new increases considered? - nope, it'll be gone too.
And what is so damned important about the 2 channels more in AT250 from AT200? Answer, not much, or not enough to pay more. So down we'll go.

All after the increases kick in of course.

And then I'll be watching to see what D* ends up doing, or maybe even consider Mediacom (blech!!). Switching might make more sense and doing it early and as often as financially feasible! :)

Do yourself a favor and stay away from Mediacom.

hopper

Help! Need a splitter for Dish Network? Do they make such a thing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts