Price increases in February 2014 (UPDATED!)

Other than the price difference, I'm not sure my old 722 and 722K beat my hoppers in any respect. Although people here do mention features the VIP line had that the Hopper does not, I have encountered any noticeable missing features or anything that would make me want to jump back to my 722s.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I agree. I love my Hopper system and wouldn't go back to the old equipment but just because it works for me doesn't mean it works for others. Not everyone is willing to pay $38 in equipment fees like I am. I also spent a lot of money on a wireless HD transmitter to get HD picture to my bedroom on the second story.

Most customers have 3-6 TVs and only watch 1-2 of them every day. They do not want to spend a monthly fee on TVs they rarely watch yet they still want to be able to watch TV on them. Now, you can mirror the Hopper system but it is a major pain and requires added upfront cost. The 722 is very easy to mirror and fits the majority of people's multi-TV needs.

I know it's probably not feasible for Dish to do this but it would be so nice if they had the modulator built into the Hopper like the 722 receivers do.

Other than the price difference, I'm not sure my old 722 and 722K beat my hoppers in any respect. Although people here do mention features the VIP line had that the Hopper does not, I have encountered any noticeable missing features or anything that would make me want to jump back to my 722s.

List view. :whistle:

"...Now, you can mirror the Hopper system but it is a major pain and requires added upfront cost. The 722 is very easy to mirror and fits the majority of people's multi-TV needs...."

I think if you plug in a wireless transmitter and receiver it's not hard, and you can get HD. But your wallet will take a hit.

"...Now, you can mirror the Hopper system but it is a major pain and requires added upfront cost. The 722 is very easy to mirror and fits the majority of people's multi-TV needs...."

I think if you plug in a wireless transmitter and receiver it's not hard, and you can get HD. But your wallet will take a hit.

That's what I'm using but it's only because I have zero cable to my second floor. To me it was worth the cost of the transmitter over running cable through a 100 year home.

The whole idea is that most people, these days, have more than one HDTV. Who wants an SD picture on that second TV? Yeah, I've got a Joey in my bedroom hooked up to an SDTV but, eventually, I'll get the bug and replace that 32" monster with a nice 40" flat screen. I'll be ready straight up! ;)

The whole idea is that most people, these days, have more than one HDTV. Who wants an SD picture on that second TV? Yeah, I've got a Joey in my bedroom hooked up to an SDTV but, eventually, I'll get the bug and replace that 32" monster with a nice 40" flat screen. I'll be ready straight up! ;)

That is very true but how many people do you know that have more than 2 TVs? Most people I know have at least 3 or 4 and they generally only watch 2 of them every day. No one wants to pay $7 a month for something that rarely gets used like a spare bedroom TV.

The 722 receiver has been our bread and butter for a long time. It's perfect for mirroring to extra TVs.

I've got 3 TVs, 2 HD and 1 SD. The SDTV in the bedroom only gets used in the morning while my wife gets ready for work. I've got a Joey on it, and pay $7 a month for it, just for the convenience of have the extra tuner back there. I had a 722 and 211 in front of my Hopper system. I had an external modulator on the 211 because I wanted to mirror that room to my bedroom. That worked reasonably well because the wife readied in both rooms and the TV could be on the same channel.... Once again, when I get a new HDTV for the bedroom, I'm set up for HD already....

No one wants to pay $7 a month for something that rarely gets used..............The 722 receiver has been our bread and butter for a long time. It's perfect for mirroring to extra TVs.

I think we have the reason the Hopper is not so easily mirrored, and why the ViP722 series and earlier are "de-emphasized." $urely it's not becau$e the $DTVs are going away......

Now, you can mirror the Hopper system but it is a major pain and requires added upfront cost.

Plug in a $15 3/4 modulator into the Ho's (or even a Jo's) A/V outputs & mirror the RF out JUST like a legacy receiver - how IS this a "major pain"? You already have the RF remotes like you do w/a legacy receiver, so no prob working thru walls.
Hardly an upfront cost to quibble over; costs about same as paying for a Jo f/2 months...

Plug in a $15 3/4 modulator into the Ho's (or even a Jo's) A/V outputs & mirror the RF out JUST like a legacy receiver - how IS this a "major pain"? You already have the RF remotes like you do w/a legacy receiver, so no prob working thru walls.
Hardly an upfront cost to quibble over; costs about same as paying for a Jo f/2 months...

Have you done this before? In order to do it right and have a clear picture you must have a second cable to that location. Most of the homes we work in only have one cable to each TV. This system is not meant to be diplexed but it can be done. When we try diplexing it the cheap RF Modulators do not push the signal strong enough which leads to a terrible, snowy picture. We have found that using a micro-modulator works well but they retail around $60-$70 and even with that working it can affect the moca signal.

The remotes are all RF which is great but have you ever tried mirroring off a Joey? The Joey remote antenna is inside the receiver and does not have very long range. Normally this wouldn't be an issue but since the antenna is internal there isn't an easy way to extend it like you can on the Hopper. Speaking of the Hopper, if you want to extend the antenna on it you need to order a special part from Dish since the threads are more coarse. You can't just put your own homemade antenna extension on it like on the dual tuners.

When you have done as many dual tuner installs and mirrors as we have over the years you tend to find duplicating this with the Hopper system a MAJOR pain. I've said it many times, I love my Hopper system but I'm willing to pay the extra money to get the setup I want. I'm willing to work with the Hopper to make it fit my needs. The majority of customers are not, they want cheap and easy.

Have you done this before? In order to do it right and have a clear picture you must have a second cable to that location. Most of the homes we work in only have one cable to each TV. This system is not meant to be diplexed but it can be done. When we try diplexing it the cheap RF Modulators do not push the signal strong enough which leads to a terrible, snowy picture. We have found that using a micro-modulator works well but they retail around $60-$70 and even with that working it can affect the moca signal.

OK, I'll give you that; luckily, most of the time I've been able to run (or already have) 2nd coax runs. Actually, diplexing ITSELF is a PITA, IMHO...

Speaking of the Hopper, if you want to extend the antenna on it you need to order a special part from Dish since the threads are more coarse. You can't just put your own homemade antenna extension on it like on the dual tuners.

Well I sure did at my place; you just use a common push-on adapter f/the connection at the Ho's - works great f/me.

I love my Hopper system but I'm willing to pay the extra money to get the setup I want. I'm willing to work with the Hopper to make it fit my needs.

Same here, but I sure as hell am NOT going to put 10+ Jo's in at EACH TV - even for myself! My TV's that are SDTV's, work just fine w/my (existing) Ch+ stereo mods, that I had previously.
So yes, I also worked w/the Ho's/Jo's to fit my needs - WITHOUT having to go broke paying for an A/O on each TV!

The majority of customers are not, they want cheap and easy.

Agree w/you on that, too...

Is this the official Dish pricing calculator?

http://vendor.dish.com/calculator/

If it is, why is the DVR fee for non-Hopper DVRs ("Other Receivers") listed as being $10 instead of the current $7? An unintentional preview of a mid-year "surprise" fee increase or just a glitch?

EDIT: It also comes up as $10 for a "HD Solo DVR" (612) so they can't be just referring to the 922.

Just an update. Scott said he was told it was just a glitch.

A glitch that is showing the wrong amount, or a glitch that it is showing the amount prematurely? :)

OK, I'll give you that; luckily, most of the time I've been able to run (or already have) 2nd coax runs. Actually, diplexing ITSELF is a PITA, IMHO...

Well I sure did at my place; you just use a common push-on adapter f/the connection at the Ho's - works great f/me.

Same here, but I sure as hell am NOT going to put 10+ Jo's in at EACH TV - even for myself! My TV's that are SDTV's, work just fine w/my (existing) Ch+ stereo mods, that I had previously.
So yes, I also worked w/the Ho's/Jo's to fit my needs - WITHOUT having to go broke paying for an A/O on each TV!

Agree w/you on that, too...

I never thought about the push-on connector for the antenna, that's a great idea.

I said I was more willing to spend the money and work with the Hopper system but I'm like you, I'm not spending extra money per month for that many Joeys. I just spent the extra money upfront for a wireless transmitter. I think it cost me over $200, so after this year it will actually be saving me money over having the extra Joey.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts