Pricing Update from Dish Network

I decided to join the fun and send my own letter;

RE: Account #: ***********

Dear sirs:

I am writing to you to voice my displeasure with the equipment price increase effective 2/1/10. I have both a 722k and a 622 DVR. I have been quite pleased with both of these devices as they are ideal for my home and are incredible pieces of equipment. I have (2) HD TV's and (2) SD TV's, so using both receivers in dual mode has provided an excellent setup in my home.

While Dish Network has been loudly trumpeting the fact that there is no programming price increase this year, I feel it is remarkably dishonest to state, as you have on your website, that the increases have been less than that of other TV service providers. At the end of the (6) months of $5.00 credits you are providing me, my bill will go up $6.01 from what it was in January. This is the single largest annual price increase I have ever been subject to from ANY similar service provider. While I am appreciative of the $5.00 credits for having my receivers connected to broadband, it is simply delaying that large increase.

Dish Network has claimed to be the leader in low price television, but this new pricing structure is actually penalizing your customers for having multiple receivers in their home, making you anything but "low price" for homes with any more than 1 or 2 TV sets. One of the reasons I chose Dish Network over DirecTV was because of your multi-room DVR's and the fact that I would need only (2) receivers to power (4) TV sets, therefore resulting in a substantially lower equipment cost vs. DirecTV. However, with your new pricing structure, that cost benefit is now gone, which leaves me with a bit of buyer's remorse.

In closing, I used to recommend Dish to anyone looking for TV service. I felt you offered an excellent service at reasonable prices. But with your new pricing structure, I will not be recommending your service to anyone, and instead warning them of your unannounced and (I believe) unwarranted price increases. This new equipment fee structure completely undermines your "low price leader" campaign and has me seriously asking the question, "Why would I ever pay $17.00 for a second DVR?"

Respectfully,

I have a 722k and a 612 and the bill is down $3.15 with tax, so I'm happy. Looks like the loyalty credits and receiver credits are only for those with increases since I didn't get one.

Service Date(s) Detailed Activity
Previous Balance $ 57.81
Jan 27 Credit Card Payment -57.81
$ 0.00
Monthly Charges
Feb 22 - Mar 21 dishHD Absolute With Locals 34.99
HD Solo DVR Receiver 10.00
DVR Service 6.00
$ 50.99
Taxes
Feb 07 State/Local Tax (Sales/Gross Receipts) 3.67
Total AutoPay on Feb 27, 2010 $ 54.66

Dear sirs:

I am writing to you to voice my displeasure with the equipment price increase effective 2/1/10. I have both a 722k and a 622 DVR. I have been quite pleased with both of these devices as they are ideal for my home and are incredible pieces of equipment. I have (2) HD TV's and (2) SD TV's, so using both receivers in dual mode has provided an excellent setup in my home.

While Dish Network has been loudly trumpeting the fact that there is no programming price increase this year, I feel it is remarkably dishonest to state, as you have on your website, that the increases have been less than that of other TV service providers. At the end of the (6) months of $5.00 credits you are providing me, my bill will go up $6.01 from what it was in January. This is the single largest annual price increase I have ever been subject to from ANY similar service provider. While I am appreciative of the $5.00 credits for having my receivers connected to broadband, it is simply delaying that large increase.

Dish Network has claimed to be the leader in low price television, but this new pricing structure is actually penalizing your customers for having multiple receivers in their home, making you anything but "low price" for homes with any more than 1 or 2 TV sets. One of the reasons I chose Dish Network over DirecTV was because of your multi-room DVR's and the fact that I would need only (2) receivers to power (4) TV sets, therefore resulting in a substantially lower equipment cost vs. DirecTV. However, with your new pricing structure, that cost benefit is now gone, which leaves me with a bit of buyer's remorse.

In closing, I used to recommend Dish to anyone looking for TV service. I felt you offered an excellent service at reasonable prices. But with your new pricing structure, I will not be recommending your service to anyone, and instead warning them of your unannounced and (I believe) unwarranted price increases. This new equipment fee structure completely undermines your "low price leader" campaign and has me seriously asking the question, "Why would I ever pay $17.00 for a second DVR?"

Respectfully,
Your last sentence about the 17.00 second DVR is the exact increase of my new bill.

Dear sirs:

In closing, I used to recommend Dish to anyone looking for TV service. I felt you offered an excellent service at reasonable prices. But with your new pricing structure, I will not be recommending your service to anyone, and instead warning them of your unannounced and (I believe) unwarranted price increases. This new equipment fee structure completely undermines your "low price leader" campaign and has me seriously asking the question,

"Why would I ever pay $17.00 for a second DVR?"

Respectfully,

Yeah, I can not see why DIRECTV doesn't use that tag line in their advertisement campaign refuting DISH's low prices on equipment charges. I think more of DISH subs should write emails talking about this too. I can see these exorbitant equipment charges backfiring on DISH big time. If it does I say that's KARMA baby. NO one should be charging more in these bad times. Bad policy and I can see many subs churning over it.

DirecTV doesn't do it because they really don't see dish as a competitor. they are too focused on cable companies and from checking around if Dish is too high of a cost, DirecTV is way too high.

No thanks. I will probably be dropping the supers and DHPP to even things back out some. Don't use the supers anymore since our CW finally went digital and has HD. Was holding out hope we might get a few supers in HD, but that is another story.

Supers

No thanks. I will probably be dropping the supers and DHPP to even things back out some. Don't use the supers anymore since our CW finally went digital and has HD. Was holding out hope we might get a few supers in HD, but that is another story.

The supers just ain't that super anymore. BTW I tried that to find out the WGN super would supply the primetime CW line up anyway. About to move to an area that has CW OTA in HD so I'm happy about that. Tired of getting it in SD either sat or OTA.

Got the new bill yesterday - increase as expected. Did an online chat and complained, the CSR told my my bill was going up "just $4." What a lie - I asked her how $87/month to $99 amounts to $4. She then admitted it would be going up $12.

She said there was nothing she could do, so I then spoke to loyalty. The loyalty rep informed me that my equipment fees would be no lower with a competitor (another lie, with DirecTV two SDTV's cost $10 not $14) and that I simply saw the end of the promotion that credited $5 for being attached to a phone line (as well all know, this was never a credit).

She offered me $5 for 6 months, which makes my bill lower than it was before for the next 6 months, but couldn't offer anything more permanent. I told them fine, we'll take the credit for 6 months then call back and cancel if they can't come up with anything better then.

Figure I'll take the 6 months at a fair price, then deal with the increase once it actually hits.

I got one question. I recently signed a two year contract to do a "free" upgrade to a DVR and a month later they raise my bill $20, does that mean they breached the contract and I am no longer liable for carrying out the contract? When I signed the contract it was for a bill that was $20 less I don't see how they can raise the price and still expect me to fulfill the contract for an additional $460 over the course of the contract.

I got one question. I recently signed a two year contract to do a "free" upgrade to a DVR and a month later they raise my bill $20, does that mean they breached the contract and I am no longer liable for carrying out the contract? When I signed the contract it was for a bill that was $20 less I don't see how they can raise the price and still expect me to fulfill the contract for an additional $460 over the course of the contract.

Somewhere back in this thread, a similar question was asked. The quick answer is no, the contract specifically states they can change their pricing at any time.

Somewhere back in this thread, a similar question was asked. The quick answer is no, the contract specifically states they can change their pricing at any time.

And I have contacted a friendly congressmans office about this issue, some consumer protection is needed for greedy companies that pull stuff like this:(

And I have contacted a friendly congressmans office about this issue, some consumer protection is needed for greedy companies that pull stuff like this:(

I agree that a sudden large price increase is ridiculous, but there is the (granted maybe distasteful) option of not agreeing to a one-sided contract and taking your business elsewhere. As distasteful as it is, you don't really need TV service. :rant:

I agree that a sudden large price increase is ridiculous, but there is the (granted maybe distasteful) option of not agreeing to a one-sided contract and taking your business elsewhere. As distasteful as it is, you don't really need TV service. :rant:

Speak for yourself, what else would I do with my spare time!:D

Just confirmed my bill went up 28.4%, $41.01 per month and $492.12 per year excluding of course the temporary credits and extra taxes of 9.75%. Now my total "fees" are $68 on top of my programming.

Way to go Dish. YOU SUCK!

New Pricing

HD Duo 34
PBS 1.5
Superstation 5.99
Everything 99.99
Duo 28
DVR Service 6
HD & Platinum 10

Old Pricing

HD Duo 7
PBS 1.5
Superstation 5.99
Everything 102.98
HD & Platinum 10
LeaseFee 7
Duo 10

Voyagerbob

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)