Problems With 922 Since Update To S117

AKGolf

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 28, 2008
Edmond, OK
1. Home Media tile no longer works. I get a black screen with a cursor when trying to access it.

2. Can't switch between solo/duo mode. It asks me if I want to and I've responded with yes and no, but it's still stuck in duo mode. I can't swap tuners and no PIP. The first time I noticed this problem I was able to do a hard boot and it came back. Today after a hard boot it's still not available and I can't put it in single mode. The weird part is that I was watching something and when it started a timer it left my channel and went to the recording channel. I was able to go back to the channel I was watching and the recording continued, but I still can't swap tuners or do PIP.

3. Black screen after a hard/soft boot. This happens every time. Instead of the tuner connecting and displaying a picture after the reboot it stays dark until I play something from my DVR or rental queue. While it's dark I can look at the guide and set timers in the future, but if I try to select a channel for live viewing nothing happens until I access a recorded program.

4. No picture in upper left corner when viewing the guide. Audio is available.

5. Another issue after rebooting for the third time today. I thought everything was back to normal because the receiver tuned into the last channel I was on. I brought up the guide and the picture was in the upper left corner now like it should be. When I left the guide I was left with just the tiny picture in the upper left corner and a dark screen. If I hit the PIP button I get two pictures, one in each upper corner. Once I close PIP i'm back to a full screen, but if I swap tuners it's back to a single picture in the upper left corner.

001.JPG002.JPG

6. I can start a program I have on DVR, but the DVR controls do not work. Once I start the recorded program I have to go into PIP and then cancel to get a full screen, but the only way to stop it from playing is to go back into the DVR list and stop the program. None of the controls work once it starts playing.

For all of the issues above I have done soft reboots and hard reboot multiple times. After my third hard boot today everything appears to be working again. I've had this receiver for a long time and it's been really stable so this bothers me a little bit. Not sure why it took so many reboots to get back to normal.

Last edited:
Your Home Media works too after all the reboots? Since receiving S117, that's the only consistent problem I've had. Didn't experience any of your other issues, but glad they all cleared out on your receiver eventually. If Home Media works for you now I may give the "reboot therapy" a shot, otherwise I really don't like to reboot much... Always worried the thing will never wake up again. :D

Your Home Media works too after all the reboots? Since receiving S117, that's the only consistent problem I've had. Didn't experience any of your other issues, but glad they all cleared out on your receiver eventually. If Home Media works for you now I may give the "reboot therapy" a shot, otherwise I really don't like to reboot much... Always worried the thing will never wake up again. :D
No that is still not working, I included that in my list and forgot about it. It hasn't worked from the initial upgrade to S117, the other items showed up last night and today.

Same here. No home media. I like the Blockbuster at Home. Nice to finally have it on the 922. But...I use Playon with home media, so I hope they have a fix for it in the works soon.

Oh, I thought that was only mine.
When I acces the guide, the screen goes to the upper left as always, and the guide appears, but I click on cancle to close the guida and the screens keeps in that position with everything else black and I doesn't respond even turning the receiver off. When turned on again, it is the same, I need to restart it.

Oh, I thought that was only mine.
When I acces the guide, the screen goes to the upper left as always, and the guide appears, but I click on cancle to close the guida and the screens keeps in that position with everything else black and I doesn't respond even turning the receiver off. When turned on again, it is the same, I need to restart it.

The good news is that after several hard/soft reboots it should be usable again.

Have you all done a power plug reset?

As i stated above I did several hard(unplug) and soft(hold down the power button) reboots. I was surprised that I had to do several for it to clear up most of the issues.

Currently my receiver works fine. This is my second 922, though. On my first 922, I had very similar problems when I used the composite video output on a standard def. TV after using the Sling features. I have no idea if there is a connection to others' problems and mine, but my solution was to get an HDTV and use the HDMI connection.

I was on vacation for the last twelve days and returned to find that the problem with PIP has returned. I tried a soft reboot and that did not fix it, and neither did a hard boot. I wonder how many hard/soft boots it'll take this time?

It took two hard reboots.

Last edited:
Had the same problem last night, as I realized PIP wasn't working and I couldn't flip between the two tuners anymore. Sure enough, the 922 was in Duo mode and I couldn't switch it back to Solo via the Settings menu. One soft reboot brought back Solo for me, but this is definitely a potential bug.

My 922 is stuck in solo mode. No matter what I do I can't get duo back. My guide won't update. I have to do a hard reset and then leave the box off for about an hour every day. When a recording starts it changes my channel and can't go back to the previous channel without stopping the recording. I constantly get the banner only with black screen until I start a DVR recording and then go back to live tv. I guess it's either no blockbuster and everything else works or get blockbuster and then nothing else works

disd you verified that the two tuners are receiving signal from the lnb? are you using a triplexer?

My 922 is stuck in solo mode. No matter what I do I can't get duo back. My guide won't update. I have to do a hard reset and then leave the box off for about an hour every day. When a recording starts it changes my channel and can't go back to the previous channel without stopping the recording. I constantly get the banner only with black screen until I start a DVR recording and then go back to live tv. I guess it's either no blockbuster and everything else works or get blockbuster and then nothing else works

Suggest you call DISH asked to be transferred to DISH Tech Support,after they ask you to do a few things to check out your 922 it's a very good possibility DISH will recommend they replace it.

Add me to the list of users having problems after the recent software updates. About every other time I turn on the receiver all I get is a black screen. I can go in to the menu or guide but cannot do anything. The guide shows the cursor which I normally have set to transparent but when I click on a channel nothing happens. A soft re-boot always brings it back but it's beginning to get very annoying.

For what it's worth I' am not getting the loud fan noise as others have reported along with the black screen.

Add me to the list of users having problems after the recent software updates. About every other time I turn on the receiver all I get is a black screen. I can go in to the menu or guide but cannot do anything. The guide shows the cursor which I normally have set to transparent but when I click on a channel nothing happens. A soft re-boot always brings it back but it's beginning to get very annoying.

For what it's worth I' am not getting the loud fan noise as others have reported along with the black screen.
The next time this happens try starting a show from the DVR, that usually will bring back everything except PIP.

The next time this happens try starting a show from the DVR, that usually will bring back everything except PIP.

This did work for me when I tried it last night except that the cursor was still there on the guide and I had no picture in the upper left corner of the guide(as others have stated). I didn't try PIP but my guess is that was messed up too.

This is good for a temporary fix if you want to watch something right away rather than waiting for it to re-boot but I wonder what other problems you might encounter while it is in this state, timer recordings?? Hope they come up with a fix soooon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts