profile 1.0,1.1 and 2.0 argument

schapman68

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
Why is it that everytime/most of the time the HD-DVD crowd start to lose an argument they bring up the profile 1.1 and 2.0? How many people actually care? I purchase or rent a BD to actually watch the movie. I know that may seem strange to some :) but hey I'm different.

Why is it that everytime/most of the time the HD-DVD crowd start to lose an argument they bring up the profile 1.1 and 2.0? How many people actually care? I purchase or rent a BD to actually watch the movie. I know that may seem strange to some :) but hey I'm different.

Have no idea. Own HD-DVD and have never used PIP either.

Only thing in extras I enjoy are watching extended / deleted scenes. And the gag reel. :D

I like 2.0. But the vast majority of people don't have home networks connected to broadband. So I can see offering it as an option. Eventually, almost nothing will be saved by eliminating the feature so 2.0 may become the de facto standard after all.

Most BD fanboys are going to say that they don't care. Really? I want to be able to access all the features available on a disc even though I may not chose to view them. I have HD DVD and Blu-ray and I've viewed the IME a few times. I bought my BD player knowing that I couldn't access some features. I will probably get a new player (profile 1.1 or 2.0) in the fall so when my favorite movies come out I can see the cool behind the scenes extras. If most people don't care why are the studios producing them? Don't you think the have polled people about these extras and felt they are warrented?

Last edited:
Most BD fanboys are going to say that they don't care. Really? I want to be able to access all the features available on a disc even though I may not chose to view them. I have HD DVD and Blu-ray and I've viewed the IME a few times. I bought my BD player knowing that I couldn't access some features. I will probably get a new player (profile 1.1 or 2.0) in the fall so when my favotire movies come out I can see the cool behind the scenes extras. If most people don't care why are the studios producing them? Don't you think the have polled people about these extras?

So the studio's have polled people and a majority said yea I want a pip during my movie. I just dont believe it.
Did those same people vote to not have pip in the theaters?

Last edited:
So the studio's have polled people and a majority said yea I want a pip during my movie. I just dont believe it.

Survey after survey said if you succeed DVD we don't just want better AQ and PQ, but better interactivity and other features, too. Laserdisc and betamax had better PQ than VHS. SACD and DVD-A had better AQ than CD. DVD had revolutionary advantages over VHS.

Seriously, have you guys checked out some of the Internet enabled features on some Warner, Universal, Paramount and Dreamworks movies? They're not at all worthless.

If most people don't care why are the studios producing them?
It's an interesting question.
From reading AVS, I think it was all started by Disney.
They saw some tremendous value in the overhaul of the DVD menuing system and created HDi with Microsoft.
That got the ball rolling...

I think this will remain a marketting mistery.
Just like a 2-disc DVD set has a higher marketting value than single disc set. Regardless of content.

Diogen.

Does not matter because 10 red ants say it does either.

That being said, I could care less. I see where some would like it, but I personally dont.

I update my PS3 and A2 FW with cdr's.

80% of consumers are probably lucky to be able to figure out how to play a movie. I wonder what the real percentage of people that actually look at extras on a DVD are? I know no one in my family regularly looks at them. 80%+ of the DVDs I have, I have not looked at the extras. Some I have browsed through 1 time, not something I regularly do. How many can honestly say they look forward to the extras on every DVD? How many can say they have watched the extras on 50% of the DVDs they have watched?

I just do not see a big issue with the whole you cannot see this extra on this player. I watched Sunshine last night and looked through the extras last night just to see what the PiP could bring. Well I have to admit it was 1am and I was not able to get it to work. Well maybe it would have worked, I would have had to enable the feature and then have to watch the movie and figure out when to push the remote button to get the pop up. It was just not something I was willing to do after watching the movie once. Maybe when I decide to watch the movie again I will try it, but one can see how limiting it is, you really have to like a movie to watch it a second time to see a few popups.

I watched an episode of Startrek with the enhanced split screen and quite frankly that was probably enough. It is like those directors commentarys. You really have to love what you are watching enough to see it a second time and listen to someone talk the entire time. How many trivia and little known facts can they come up with?

I think there is a group of fans (probably varies from movie to movie) that expects and even, yes, looks forward to this stuff. You're right in saying that the vast majority of consumers couldn't care less, but yet 2 disc sets with a bunch of extras will still be more desirable. I'm guilty of buying a 2-disc set when the single disc version was sitting right next to it and was cheaper, even though I knew I probably wouldn't ever touch the 2nd disc... I think it all comes down to marketing.

Would anyone really miss the features if they were gone? In practice, most wouldn't. But from a marketing standpoint, I think it's probably been proven somewhere along the line that it does make DVD's more attractive sitting on a shelf.

I think it all comes down to marketing.

Would anyone really miss the features if they were gone? In practice, most wouldn't. But from a marketing standpoint, I think it's probably been proven somewhere along the line that it does make DVD's more attractive sitting on a shelf.

I think this is the whole point of extras. A thing they can decorate the box with, and make someone think about buying vs waiting for it to come out on HBO or OTA/Cable eventually. It is far more of a marketing item than anything else.

Really looking back at my DVD collection, I am embarrassed to say that 60%+ of the DVDs I have only watched 1x. It would have been far cheaper to rent them, but I buy them to avoid having to go to a rental store, or have a monthly rental fee with netflix, or in case I want to watch them again, or any other reason. Perhaps I have fallen victim to the evil studio marketing engine, I must see it in the theater, must buy the DVD then I must watch it again when it is on TV. Curse Amazon and how easy it is to preorder a movie months in advance and have it arrive on my doorstep on the release day!!!

Really looking back at my DVD collection, I am embarrassed to say that 60%+ of the DVDs I have only watched 1x. It would have been far cheaper to rent them, but I buy them to avoid having to go to a rental store, or have a monthly rental fee with netflix, or in case I want to watch them again, or any other reason. Perhaps I have fallen victim to the evil studio marketing engine, I must see it in the theater, must buy the DVD then I must watch it again when it is on TV. Curse Amazon and how easy it is to preorder a movie months in advance and have it arrive on my doorstep on the release day!!!

Boy, can I relate to that... :)

Im gonna buy RE and Sunshine and then finalize my standing.

Ive already read some comments on blu-ray.com where guys are like "thats it? this is what theyve been beating us up over?"

I have a feeling Im gonna have the same attitude.

Why is it that everytime/most of the time the HD-DVD crowd start to lose an argument they bring up the profile 1.1 and 2.0? How many people actually care? I purchase or rent a BD to actually watch the movie. I know that may seem strange to some :) but hey I'm different.[/QUOTE

I agree with you, I can't image trying to watch two things at once, If that makes me different, so be it.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts