Panasonic reveals its new 2.0 player for $700!!!!!!!!

This is the 10 billionth time you stated Toshiba’s loss but conveniently forgot to mention Sony loss with each PS3 sold. Considering that PS3 sales are the bulk of HD player sales I think that is a disingenuous omission. I think it was a good business strategy going into a format war in which if won Toshiba would had unlimited earnings potential in licensing fees. We all know WB picked HD DVD thus making their strategy correct! But WB decided to double blind back stab Toshiba hours before a scheduled press conference for $400 million, and the rest is history.

Did I readed what I think I just readed??

There is a big differance between Sony and Toshiba -- Sony could make the money back some loss on games (and they did) and Sony could make money on movies (they own a studio and Toshiba owned none). Add in the fact that there were no other CE manufactureres of HD-DVD product except for the dual players from LG and Samsung that did not even dent the market and Toshiba was going it alone. They were responsible for their own demise - not WB's decision nor the fact that Sony was selling alot of PS3s because as we all know, if every PS3 was used for BD movie playback and every owner purchased just 2 BDs a month HD-DVD would not of lasted a year - but that is not what happened is it?

As for my praise of HD-DVD being a more mature and finished product - do you not read any of my posts? I have constantly praised Toshiba for putting out a very complete product -- especially their 3rd generation of players. In fact, I have stated that I am waiting for Toshiba's BD player in June to decide on a BD player for my HT because I respect and admire what Toshiba has done in the DVD arena.

Just because I have always supported BD (because on disc it is a more complete format just like the HD-DVD players from Toshiba were a more complete product) does not mean that I did not noticed and appreciate what Toshiba was doing with their HD-DVD players. By Toshiba doing this, the BD market was pushed to improve their players and disc product alot quicker then they might have moved.

Just because I have always supported BD (because on disc it is a more complete format just like the HD-DVD players from Toshiba were a more complete product)
One last thing did the extra space and higher bandwidth,etc pan out on screen for a better HD experience?

$ony has a long track record of developing a competing format that adds above and beyond whats needed and then charging customers a premium for the un-needed overhead.

One last thing did the extra space and higher bandwidth,etc pan out on screen for a better HD experience?

$ony has a long track record of developing a competing format that adds above and beyond whats needed and then charging customers a premium for the un-needed overhead.

Has the extra space and bandwith has panned out for the consumer? There are HD extras on some of the discs now and there are more discs with dual lossless codecs (some in two differant languages) and these are due to the space and the bandwith. So to answer your question -- YES.

ps Had to drop this, Transformers will be seeing BD shortly -- I have read (and this is just a rumor now - but you know how those rumors in the past came true for BD) that you will see a lossless codec on the disc along with extras in HD. This was not done on the HD-DVD disc because -- as we now know -- there was not enough Bandwith. In addtion, until the demise of HD-DVD there was never a movie released on both formats that was lower priced on HD-DVD then BD. In fact, most BD's were sold for less then their HD-DVD counterparts. Your statement is not only bogus but it defines what FUD is. Time to smell the roses -- HD-DVD is gone -- stop whining!

Has the extra space and bandwith has panned out for the consumer? There are HD extras on some of the discs now and there are more discs with dual lossless codecs (some in two differant languages) and these are due to the space and the bandwith. So to answer your question -- YES.

ps Had to drop this, Transformers will be seeing BD shortly -- I have read (and this is just a rumor now - but you know how those rumors in the past came true for BD) that you will see a lossless codec on the disc along with extras in HD. This was not done on the HD-DVD disc because -- as we now know -- there was not enough Bandwith. In addtion, until the demise of HD-DVD there was never a movie released on both formats that was lower priced on HD-DVD then BD. In fact, most BD's were sold for less then their HD-DVD counterparts. Your statement is not only bogus but it defines what FUD is. Time to smell the roses -- HD-DVD is gone -- stop whining!
Put your rumored BD Transformers with all the rumored lossless audio codec’s on the same TV and same AVR side by side as the HD DVD Transformers and I guarantee there will be no difference in the HD experience. Speaking of all your lossless audio weren’t you the BD fanboy that broke the news that HD DVD Transformers had won the best HD audio award of the year? Or maybe you’ll attack the professional reviewers with the professional AVR equipment(typical BD tactic in this forum). So what your saying is out of all last years different lossless audio codec’s that was released on BD, plan ole simple DD+ beat them all. Your bias FUD laden rant aside I once again state all those extra specs that $ony is forcing down our throats at a premium doesn’t pan out to a better HD experience. As far as space any extra space needed for extras was put on the extras disk.

So to answer your question -- YES.
No, it hasn't.
It is still in the "promise" stage, i.e. one day it might.
Outside of the delusional arguments of bluboys, I haven't seen proof either space or bandwidth advantages of BD is worth much.
I don't consider putting uncompressed lossless PCM as proof of anything...

Diogen.

Has the extra space and bandwith has panned out for the consumer? There are HD extras on some of the discs now and there are more discs with dual lossless codecs (some in two differant languages) and these are due to the space and the bandwith.

Very few have dual lossless tracks, I can think of 2 or 3: a couple Sony and a Warner or two (I believe), and they are PCM/TrueHD. I have not seen one of those in a while. You are more than welcome to point out some titles that have dual languages in Lossless. None of mine do. I know we've been down this road before.

S~

OK Actually there is one Warner Title and 10 Sony Titles with LPCM and TrueHD and 1 magnolia Title with LPCM/DTS Master. Still waiting on those titles that have dual language lossless tracks.

Last edited:
No, it hasn't.
It is still in the "promise" stage, i.e. one day it might.
Outside of the delusional arguments of bluboys, I haven't seen proof either space or bandwidth advantages of BD is worth much.
I don't consider putting uncompressed lossless PCM as proof of anything...

Diogen.

You wear blinders don't you? Nothing delusional about the fact that there was not a lossless audio codec on the HD-DVD version of Transformers because there was not enough bandwith-- could easily of been added to BD though.

Right before the plug was pulled on HD-DVD we began to see extras in HD on the same disc on BD but SD extras on the disc from HD-DVD.

Of course since there is only BD around now we don't really have anything to compare to anymore -- now do we?:rolleyes:

Put your rumored BD Transformers with all the rumored lossless audio codec’s on the same TV and same AVR side by side as the HD DVD Transformers and I guarantee there will be no difference in the HD experience. Speaking of all your lossless audio weren’t you the BD fanboy that broke the news that HD DVD Transformers had won the best HD audio award of the year? Or maybe you’ll attack the professional reviewers with the professional AVR equipment(typical BD tactic in this forum). So what your saying is out of all last years different lossless audio codec’s that was released on BD, plan ole simple DD+ beat them all. Your bias FUD laden rant aside I once again state all those extra specs that $ony is forcing down our throats at a premium doesn’t pan out to a better HD experience. As far as space any extra space needed for extras was put on the extras disk.

Guys -- I think we have a true HD-DVD Fanboy really hurting hear!;)

Hey I will bite -- anyone out there drive a Cadillac?
No. They're too expensive for what they are. Many less expensive cars are much better in every regard. Possibly a Cadillac is considered as a status symbol by some, to display their financial status to others. But as an automobile only, they're a poor choice for the money spent, IMHO.
New tech is not cheap.
Neither is a Cadillac. But it's not higher priced because it is higher tech or somehow better. You are paying for the name, a few "gee whiz" gizmos, and the status some people think it bestows on them. There is really nothing wrong with a Cadillac. Just nothing particularly good about them either, nothing that would justify their price IMHO. The older ones used to have a reputation for being oil burners as they aged, but I'm sure they've correctly that over the years.
And at the release price of $699 is priced to enter the market as the best of the best and it is priced that way. If you are disappointed with the price -- don't buy the Cadillac
Just because it is priced as the "best of the best" does not mean that it is the best of the best. Most people do not buy Cadillacs, even though they could afford them if they chose to. They're not necessarily the best of the best, just priced that way.
I bet there will be a Avalon just down the road for you
Is that supposed to be a patronizing comment? After all, it's you that has the Avalon. AFAIK they're fine cars, but I've never seen one up close. And besides, I could probably mow yours over with my 4x4 F150 :p :D (Which probably cost damn near as much as a Cadillac! I almost fainted when I say what new trucks cost! But the wife had to have it to "haul the horses around". The horses have been hauled exactly ... ONCE ... so far. Sigh.)

Panasonic puts out some good products. I still have, and occasionally use, an old Panasonic radio that must be 40 or 50 years old. What to do with a 40 year old product that still works fine but looks like crap?

I'll guess that the Panasonic BD player will still be good to go 50-75 years from now. A niche product that will still be in its niche forever (or after I've long departed this world, whichever comes first).

Fitzie

I feel the bottom line here is that this product is just too much money for the mainstream to buy. I consider myself in the mainstream ...middle class, working two jobs, paying for a family of five....just making it with gas prices the way they are. I know a person like me who loves this stuff still wouldn't even think of getting this player. This is probably a great player and they will sell some to people who have to have it. They won't sell it to the mainstream ....which is really where the money is. Way out of a realistic price range for me.

I just want to know if the high capacity BD50 discs are so great how come so many titles including the TV box sets use BD-25 discs

I hate to admit it but I have a very old CD player that cost around $2000. It was made by Mark Levinson. $700 BD player is a bargain ;)

And I bet that old M.L. blows away most of what is out there today.

S~

Yeah it does, I just use it as a transport and have my ML receiver do the D to A now, it is more updated. One of the problems I have now is that the ML does not do all the new HD audio, will be an expensive upgrade...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)