Toshiba readying a BD player?

read·ing
premium.gif
thinsp.png
/?ri
thinsp.png
d??/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ree-ding] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun
Is this a crack at Ice? :D

Where are the HD-DVD Fans boys to spin this news into something that shows how Toshiba is doing this for all the current HD-DVD owners out there.

If this rumor is true then Toshiba's HD-DVD format is finished. Although this is proof that Toshiba themselves acknowledges their formats LOSS.

John

Any comments by HD DVD fanboys at this point could only be for the sake of nostalgia as in "Gee, wasn't HD DVD great!" "Wasn't that format war fun!" :p

Any comments by HD DVD fanboys at this point could only be for the sake of nostalgia...
This will be true only if/when BD at least matches the regular DVD market avoiding the fate of SACD/DVD-A/LD/D-VHS/etc.
Otherwise BD fanboys would have to join the HD in their nostalgic thoughts...:)

Diogen.

Why does every bit of HD Disc news have to turn into a "You Lose, We Win" deal?

After preaching that one format is better than two, and that we're close to achieving that, especially if Toshiba caves, why chime in with taunts?

All it serves to do is create more back and forths.......

After preaching that one format is better than two, and that we're close to achieving that, especially if Toshiba caves, why chime in with taunts?

Was thinking the same thing

This will be true only if/when BD at least matches the regular DVD market avoiding the fate of SACD/DVD-A/LD/D-VHS/etc.
Otherwise BD fanboys would have to join the HD in their nostalgic thoughts...:)

Diogen.

Well if the format war is with the DVD format they win but if it is between the competing High Def formats that is another matter.

But personally I don't think that is over just yet. Soon maybe but not yet. But we might as well get a chuckle out of it while it lasts.

Toshiba is the second biggest buyer (after Sony) of blue laser diodes.
If they decide to stop manufacturing HD DVD players, those (diodes) can be used to manufacture BD (or combo) players. The only differentiator would be BD licensing fees.

I believe Toshiba's next move will be determined by whether BDA wants to play it the easy way or the hard way.
The easy way would be to "buy" Toshiba's loyalty and get them in line with other CE manufacturers playing by the same rules, i.e. keeping healthy profit margins.
The hard way would be to try and drive Toshiba out of the hidef optical business completely.

I think the first is much more likely and Toshiba would have to be paid for this to happen.

Diogen.
Toshiba may have tipped their hand at CES by coming out with their super duper upconverting DVD player. I think they'll go in that direction instead of getting in bed with BD and having to deal with negotiating with hard feelings on both sides. After all this will last no where near as long as DVD with downloading soon to arrive.

This would be fantastic for HD! You end up coupling all the reported advantages of BR (we'll accept that statement as fact for the sake of discussion), with Toshiba's ability to make the technology available inexpensively.
Toshiba low prices is their attempt to win the format war. If they joined BD your theory would not apply.

I also have to call you on the advantages of BD and not for the sake of discussion.

That's why they call this the war zone. If you can't stand the heat... ;)

D/L full 2hr HD movies is A LONG WAY OFF, for the masses.
It'll be here sooner then you think. Much faster then it took DVD to pass to torch to hi-def. Oh by the way DVD is still 98%.

My connection with Cablevision is 12MB and I live in an appartment complex. Friend a few blocks away gets 15MB. I can order thier Boost service and get up to 30 MB. Next town over has Verizon Fios with fiber to the home. ISP's are getting their acts together.

Toshiba low prices is their attempt to win the format war. If they joined BD your theory would not apply.
You say that as if you have insider information to know what Toshiba's profit margin was. I highly doubt that. Regardless of what their reason was for charging lower prices, you cannot argue that they were not able to deliver them. They did.

I also have to call you on the advantages of BD and not for the sake of discussion.
No problem, and no need to discuss. If you think BR is better, then it probably is for you. That does not mean it is necessarily better for me or anyone else. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion based on their personal wants and needs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts