BD hidef vs. Upconvert: A story

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
A very telling story from AVS
Embarrassment... - AVS Forum
In best AVS traditions - already locked.

Setup: ISF calibrated Panasonic AE900 onto 100" screen
Movie: Ghost Rider
Playback: BD disc on PS3 and DVD upconverted on A3
Audience: Non-pros

Conclusion: Not that much of a difference.

What I find most interesting in this short-lived thread, even the BD heavy-hitters, thebland and RBFilms,
don't question the validity of this J6P experiment, so impressive in its simplicity.

Advice offered to make the differences more pronounced:
- 1080p projector/display
- sitting closer
- replace Panasonic LCD
- watch when sober
- use reference quality movies (a list offered)

To those believing hidef optical media has a shot at replacing DVDs as the main video format - can you run your arguments by me again?

Diogen.

It just demonstrates again the weakness of HDM. If you do not have the state of the art display technology it will not do much better than DVD. It was a 720p projector.

720x480p DVD is not that far from 1280x720p
1920x1080p loses the advantages when scaled down that far.

All the arguments that 720p is HD because it can show 60 frames/sec OTA go out the window when you are showing 24fps movies.

Its going to be hard for people to see a difference between a pure HD content and an upconverted DVD content when there is lots of action. Its the still shots, or very low action shots that will show. I've seen some shots, and I had to look at them for a while before I saw the differences.

I've seen some shots, and I had to look at them for a while before I saw the differences.
I think the primary reason is the dominance of 720p (even worse - 768p) TVs.
Properly set up HD/BD player to a 1080p wouldn't be such a hard sell. But 720/768 is different.

DVDs have to be upscaled and HD/BD have to be downscaled. And we all know in how many different
ways it can be done and how crappy this job can be performed by the TV sets themselves.

Diogen.

It just demonstrates again the weakness of HDM. If you do not have the state of the art display technology it will not do much better than DVD. It was a 720p projector.

720x480p DVD is not that far from 1280x720p
1920x1080p loses the advantages when scaled down that far.

All the arguments that 720p is HD because it can show 60 frames/sec OTA go out the window when you are showing 24fps movies.

I have to respectively disagree with this statement. I have a 720P television and I can tell a huge difference between DVD and a HD movies.

I have to respectively disagree with this statement. I have a 720P television and I can tell a huge difference between DVD and a HD movies.

You might be able to see the difference, but does the average person notice on your set?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts