Votes: 28 62.2%

• Total voters

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Teachsac's last post in the other thread
I really don't see a price drop any time in the near future. There is too much money that needs to be recouped at this point. Especially since I've seen the $500 million dollar figure attached to Warner. Don't get me wrong, I think Toshiba had that same figure out there, also. When the BD studio decided not to turn with Warner, their decision was made to end this. There are also the production line numbers and costs. Not enough production lines to replace DVD and the cost to refit a line is 10x the cost of an HD DVD production line. Players aren't bringing in cash. The best selling BD player is the PS3 and we all know that it is losing money.

Hopefully BD prices will go down. Sony and Fox prices are totally outrageous $38.99 and up MSRP? Give me a break. $29.99 for a catalog title after 30% off at Amazon? Give me another break.

So now at this point. I don't see prices dropping on players or movies. Even Sony said players are expected to remain at $399 this year. Hence, HDM will still not become a mainstream product.

S~
Got me thinking. I do agree that there would need to be some recoup, so what way do you think is BEST for HDM survival.

My opinion is keep the software where its at and drop the hardware and here's why:

Game systems do not sell well until they hit a price point, but software sells at high prices if its a great title. I think cheaper players matter more than cheaper movies. Get the players out there and people will buy the movies and it will INCREASE rental demand which is also important. Lets face it, I'd have paid $40 for transformers if they wanted it.

I won't buy in until someone like Panasonic is selling a sub $150 player (refuse to own a POS Sony) and I can buy discs for less than $15 average, so I'll fill out my HD-DVD collection, continue to add to the 120+ HD movies on my external drive, and enjoy upconverted SD DVD until then.

NightRyder

Now that it's over, the prices will fall in line with DVD. I think by Christmas the average BD will sell for $18 and plenty of >$200 players.

Pricing was one of the main reasons I went HDDVD. I personally liked the combo units since we have player in the van for my son. I also used the interactive features when they where on the disc. So for me I have lost out on a lot of things. Blu will need to drop the price on player and go full 2.0 before I buy into them.

shawn

Yep, I am no sony fan, but I have to give em credit on the PS3's capabilities. Heck I bet it is even possible reading the specs on the profiles that the PS3 is very easily upgradeable to comply. What, it only has to allocate 1gig of HD space to be profile 2.0 compliant since it already meets the other specs.

Other than hating having a gaming console as a player, you can't argue it's features blow away anything else out there that is an out of the box system and I can't think of anything at it's price even remotely comparable.

When everyone asked me why I bought a PS3(dont own any games) i commented that its future proof in many ways. I just hope they figure a way for the MasterHD audio, then it will be close to complete.

thanks Elwaylite. It was a nice read. However I have come to enjoy my PIP and web features on my HDDVD. Now I'm forced to talke a step back if I choose to buy blu now.

Yes I also understand the great things that the PS3 can do but at heart it is a gaming unit and to me it will look like sh*t next to my other equipment. So until they say 2.0 is completely dead, so I don't have to buy another player to do the nice feature, I will be pushed to the sidelines and wait. Or continue to buy HDDVD and everyone unloads there collections.

Shawn

Yep, DTS Master HD is the only thing that is missing IMO. We all know the PS3 has the horsepower, I gotta believe it's some business decision not a technical one at this point.

Heck if you add up all the improvements the PS3 has gotten (not bug fixes, but new features) and then look at what you paid for it then compare what you would have paid had you changed hardware to get all these features, the cost of ownership just keeps decreasing.

Welcome nat!

CSS, I completely understand where you are coming from. Also, you're gonna be competing with me and many others on the lemmings that unload their HD DVD's. :)

I can understand the want for web content, its just no important to me. As stated before, extras have no meaning for me. I'd also have to say that web interactivity will be for the minority for awhile as many dont know how or are capable of. We are tech geeks for sure.

As far as the ps3 being ugly, I love my 60gig with the chrome accents. I also love the fact it only has two very small lights that are on while im in the dark watching a movie.

Yep, elway, that is one very nice feature, the PS3 does not overwhelm with lights on a display. My PS3 is the only component the kids don't touch since it is not cluttered with buttons all over the front.

I too could really care less about even profile 1.1 stuff, but since marketing is big on those niche features it's an issues for many.

Heck when people ask me about PQ on the BD and HD DVDs I tell them, "heck PQ is only 40% of the improvement, the biggest improvement is Audio!", but then you have to explain to them that most will need a new AV receiver to appreciate it.

thanks Elwaylite. It was a nice read. However I have come to enjoy my PIP and web features on my HDDVD. Now I'm forced to talke a step back if I choose to buy blu now.

Yes I also understand the great things that the PS3 can do but at heart it is a gaming unit and to me it will look like sh*t next to my other equipment. So until they say 2.0 is completely dead, so I don't have to buy another player to do the nice feature, I will be pushed to the sidelines and wait. Or continue to buy HDDVD and everyone unloads there collections.

Shawn

Agree. Don't need a PS3, don't want a PS3.

NightRyder

If Panasonic can bring a 2.0 player to the market under $400 then I will buy one and let my PS3 rest. Maybe if Samsung brings out their 2.0 player and it works well -- although I am not a fan of Samsungs players.

Yep, elway, that is one very nice feature, the PS3 does not overwhelm with lights on a display. My PS3 is the only component the kids don't touch since it is not cluttered with buttons all over the front.

I too could really care less about even profile 1.1 stuff, but since marketing is big on those niche features it's an issues for many.

Heck when people ask me about PQ on the BD and HD DVDs I tell them, "heck PQ is only 40% of the improvement, the biggest improvement is Audio!", but then you have to explain to them that most will need a new AV receiver to appreciate it.

Not that I haven't been saying this but I too believe that the major jump for me is the Audio. That is why I upgraded my AVR and speakers. It is the first time I have spent this much money not on my wife and gotten a smile from her!:D

If Panasonic can bring a 2.0 player to the market under $400 then I will buy one and let my PS3 rest. Maybe if Samsung brings out their 2.0 player and it works well -- although I am not a fan of Samsungs players.

The best thing for BD IMO is if Samsung STOPS making players! :)

Not that I haven't been saying this but I too believe that the major jump for me is the Audio. That is why I upgraded my AVR and speakers. It is the first time I have spent this much money not on my wife and gotten a smile from her!:D

Laff, me too. My wife who before marriage could have cared less if she watched movies on a 19inch tv from a tape now really appreciates the home theater setups. I knew it wasn't just something AV people noticed when she commented on the sound from the HD DVD and BD discs.

Nope. The new player they are set to announce will retail 699 according to info from our Panasonic rep. I don't know if it's 2.0 or not. Hopefully they'll show it at CES. We only go now if we're bored. Too much work going on right now. We see most of this stuff at CEDIA anyways. A lot of what is announced/shown at CES never comes to see the light of day. EG the Denon premap/processor anyone?

S~

To answer the poll, best strategy is to lower both, but it will not happen anytime soon. Sure you'll see fire sales of profile 1.0 players. Unfortunately most users won't know their limitations. That's why we don't sell or install any BD players at this point except the Panasonic, and that is new to our line as of October/November.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts