Toshiba readying a BD player?

I will.
If there is a slightest chance you show up and decide to chime in - I'll make it as simple as possible.
Not my fault that the second is so often true, especially those that "readed" it...
No, we can't. See above.

Diogen.

Hi professor Diogen.
It doesn't matter if you don't like me because I am blu, I don't need your criticism, it ain't ruining my day.
This is the Warzone, this is not a place where you just go and criticize people. Someone like you should know better, but you don't.

Last edited:
I don't see it like this.
Ultimately, Blu-ray was developed to replace DVD: fix the pesky CSS problem and eventually sell you all the movies again.

Blu-Ray was developed to record high definition TV in Japan. It was modified to replace DVD, fix the pesky CSS problem, restore profits to optical disc hardware manufacturers and, of course, sell you all the movies again.

RUMOR ALERT! Is Toshiba getting a BluRay player ready for sell this sumer?

1080living.com has learned through sources in the distribution and retail business that the buzz is Toshiba already has a Blu-Ray player in the works ready for production for a September 08 release but now this has been pushed up to a July 08 release with recent events in the industry.

This from the following site:

1080living- Blu-Ray HD-DVD News Forums Hi Definition BluRay HDDVD

Now before you all go and try and skin me alive please notice I did say rumor alert at the very beginning!
How do you "read" a BD player?

Well, if you don't like the messenger, don't like the message, can't stand the heat then let's try and redirect the post by attacking the messenger or let's attack those who are actually trying to discuss the meat of the post.

I don't have to meantion names because everyone here knows WHO I am talking about. If you guys are so smart why don't you show your intellect and offer up your take on Toshiba getting a BluRay player ready for the market? Or are you both so shallow that you don't believe that Toshiba can put a BD player on the market quickly and that consumers would like to purchase one? Or is it that you are so upset over HD-DVD dying so quickly that you have to vent your anger at those who wish to discuss the next stage in HDM disc developement which will be BluRay and not HD-DVD?

I for one really like Toshiba players. Along with Pannasonic they make the best players on the market. I am looking forward to what Toshiba will bring to BluRay and wish them very much success and if they build a 2.0 BD player that competes directly with the Panny BD50 then I might just purchase my first BD player and that would be a Toshiba BD player! Wouldn't that be ironic?:D

If there's any consolation, when HD players were first introduced, Sony's model was $1000 while Toshiba's first was a bit less. Toshiba seemed to quickly come out with a $500 model too. Let's hope if Toshiba does build a BD line, they severely undercut the current Sony, Samsung, and other's prices. I have to wonder if there's an "agreement" that will forbid this though. Despite what people argue, Sony, in my opinion, is in charge. They in turn typically have the lowest cost player, either the S300 or the PS3.

I actually believe that right now Samsung is the low cost leader in BD. That is of course not taking into account the PS3 and purchasing that product on Sony's site using their line of credit and getting a discount. Sony has priced the S300 to compete directly with Samsung. I expect that now the price war will be between CE manufactures as more get into the business and costs start coming down.

There are several meantions of retailers ending this war -- which I predicted and was throughly trouced for. But the bottom line is that BestBuy, NetFlix and now Walmart has dropped the hammer on HD-DVD. This in turn has started a landslide in favor of BD. While we can not say that this format war is formally over -- it is on its way out and if this 'Rumor' is true then this war is over and Walmart - a retailer - is the one to have ended it.

Warner started the slide and Walmart did the slam dunk. All that is left is for the other retailers to go public -- maybe they are waiting on Toshiba to admit defeat -- a very hard thing for the Japanese to do. Toshiba's time for a graceful bowout is coming close to the end. A good way to end it would be for Toshiba to announce a Combo-Player - one that would do both formats extreemly well and price it under $400. That would get my attention!

If there's any consolation, when HD players were first introduced, Sony's model was $1000 while Toshiba's first was a bit less. Toshiba seemed to quickly come out with a $500 model too. Let's hope if Toshiba does build a BD line, they severely undercut the current Sony, Samsung, and other's prices. I have to wonder if there's an "agreement" that will forbid this though. Despite what people argue, Sony, in my opinion, is in charge. They in turn typically have the lowest cost player, either the S300 or the PS3.

Hall,

Sure the Toshiba HD-DVD was cheaper than the BD Competition, but only because Toshiba was willing to lose 200 bucks or more per standalone player. Why you ask, simple, the hope was Toshiba flooding the market with cheap HD Players would help them win the Next Optical Format. The Winner of the standard Optical HD Disc format will make A LOT of money in Royalties from companies wanting to reproduce their patented technology.

Since HD-DVD is not going to win, Toshiba will likely not be willing to lose more money on BD players to undercut other brands.

With a One Format HD Optical format future there will be alot more players from different brands. This will spur competition and lower component costs, but no company will be willing to sell players at a loss anymore.

John

A good way to end it would be for Toshiba to announce a Combo-Player - one that would do both formats extreemly well and price it under $400. That would get my attention!

That would get everyone's attention. There aren't even any standalones at $1k (I'm calling you out, Pioneer!) that do Blu-Ray justice.

I keep waiting for the prices to go down, but they are stuck at $400 for models introduced at CEDIA. There is no excuse other than greed to hold back 2.0 standalones.

A good way to end it would be for Toshiba to announce a Combo-Player - one that would do both formats extreemly well and price it under $400. That would get my attention!

We all need to admit that it is over. I would be very surprised to see Toshiba introduce any new HD-DVD product, especially combo. They will introduce Blu this summer, while still keeping the A3 line alive to get rid of inventory. Then in late summer you will see the remaining inventory on Woot or SAH for $30 and pitched as an upconverting DVD player.

Of course, I'm lousy as a soothsayer. I went red.

You could call Toshiba ignorant for not planning to build BD players but maybe they think BD will fail against DVD too. That's certainly a possibility....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)